The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 08-12-2003, 08:11 PM

What is my Mom's Yahoo ID, after her prodigy.net ID was swallowed by SBC Yahoo?

My Mom is too PC illiterate to figure this out, but maybe some other dopers went through the same process and can tell me what her Yahoo! ID is.

She started on Prodigy.net, and in fact her email address is still of the form xxxx@prodigy.net. I think Prodigy got bought by SBC Yahoo, or perhaps it was bought by SBC which then was bought by Yahoo, or something. I don't know the details, but somehow her service is now with SBC Yahoo.

We used to communicate with Yahoo Messenger, but we used an old unrelated Yahoo ID. When she uses the old ID, it hoses up her email; I presume because it's changing what Yahoo ID is logged on, from the SBC Yahoo one to the old one.

To solve this, I'd like her to use the Yahoo ID I presume she now has with the account that transferred over from Prodigy account. Is there a straight formula that was used to convert the Prodigy accounts? For example, if her Prodigy ID was xxxx, perhaps her Yahoo ID is xxxx.sbc or something like that?

Anybody else have a prodigy.net account converted in the same manner and can tell me what the answer is?
Advertisements  
Old 08-13-2003, 07:31 AM

Did I stump the band on this one?
Old 08-13-2003, 12:49 PM

Did your mother go through the formal step of migrating her account to yahoo? She should have received a CD via snail mail. Or she can do it via the web.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:06 PM

We did this. You had to go to a yahoo/sbc/prodigy conversion web page and click on a button telling them to change the account over. After that, my wife's new yahoo id was in the form "xxxx@prodigy.net", where before she had one that was just of the form "xxxx". You might try that one first, and if it doesn't work, then look for a conversion page on the yahoo/sbc/prodigy site.
Old 08-13-2003, 01:12 PM

My Dad did all that when the account migrated. Everything works OK, she can get her email and everything, but when we try to use Yahoo Messenger with another Yahoo ID (one we made before them migration), it changes her logged-in Yahoo ID and she can't get her email anymore. I want her to use Messenger with the Yahoo ID I presume was made by the tranferred Prodigy account.

My dad passed away recently, so I can't ask him what he did.

I just need to know what formula they used. For example, if the Prodigy ID was revmom, is her Yahoo ID now revmom.sbc ? (I don't think it is, I tried it)
Old 08-13-2003, 01:15 PM

NE Texan, do you use Yahoo Messenger with the full xxxx@prodigy.net username? Does it allow usernames that are the full mail address?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:17 PM

Got to www.sbcglobal.net. If you have converted, it will point you to sbc.yahoo.com. Use that link and in the upper right corner, there will be a link to your account information ("My Account" is the link). In there you will find a list of all the IDs associated with your account. During the conversion, you were able to merge all Yahoo IDs to the sbcglobal account, but I'm not sure how to do it now. If you can do it, you will get the larger mailbox, just like with your sbcglobal email and your Yahoo ID will still be usable, but it won't be a seperate mailbox anymore.

I assume you can go to mail.yahoo.com and get your email for your sbcglobal account, but you say that you are unable to get the mail for the old Yahoo ID. What happens when you try with the old ID and password? What happens with the old ID and the new sbcglobal password?
Old 08-13-2003, 04:28 PM

Thanks for the suggestions MattBrown. Unfortunately, it's my Mom's account, and she lives half the country away, so I can't do this stuff myself.

I have no idea where she goes for her email, and frankly I doubt she would be able to explain it to me where she goes properly. It may have to wait until I visit her next.

Thanks again.
Old 08-13-2003, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by MattBrown
I assume you can go to mail.yahoo.com and get your email for your sbcglobal account
This is true. Prior to the merger my address was siberia@sbcglobal.net. Now it is siberia@yahoo.com. However, I am still able to send and receive from/to siberia@sbcglobal.net and it will show up in the same mailbox as the yahoo address. My Yahoo Messenger ID is simply siberia.

When I log onto the sbc.yahoo.com site, the user is simply siberia and the password is the same one that was assigned to me under sbcglobal.net.
Old 08-13-2003, 05:47 PM
BANNED

I don't understand the confusion.

If she *MUST* use the old Yahoo! Messenger account, she can just login with those credentials then open up the Yahoo! Mail web page and click "login as a different user" and use the other credentials.

If she wants to use the XXX@prodigy.net account, she just needs to create a new user with the login\password. Note that she would need to create a new contacts list.

Am I missing something here?
Old 08-13-2003, 08:04 PM

Rex, the problem is that when she logs in as a different Yahoo user in Messenger than one associated with the Prodigy/SBC account, she can no longer read her Prodigy account email.

We do not know what the Yahoo account is associated with the account, and I opened this thread to see if others know how they made the Yahoo IDs from the prodigy accounts, so she can log into Messenger with that account. But we can't do that until we know what that is.

This is all compounded by the fact that she is very computer illiterate (but getting much better) and would not understand the different windows idea. Plus, I can't just show her stuff since she's a few thousand miles away.

It sounds like maybe her ID is simply the old Prodigy email address, as MattBrown suggests. I hadn't thought of that because the Yahoo IDs I'm familiar with are simply a word, and not an email address. I was able to add it as a buddy though, so that's a good sign. When she gets around to trying we'll know for sure.

I'd rather use MSN Messenger, but there's a bug of some kind where I can't hear her, but she can hear me. I talked her through using Sound Recorder to record and playback audio from her mike, so I think that's all set up OK. We had previously used Yahoo Messenger successfuly to voice chat, so that's why I want to get that working again.
Old 08-14-2003, 12:49 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Revtim
NE Texan, do you use Yahoo Messenger with the full xxxx@prodigy.net username? Does it allow usernames that are the full mail address?
Revtim, we don't use Messenger, so I don't know the answer to that one. However (this may be related), reading Yahoo groups, our id is the full "xxxx@prodigy.net".

Also, my wife (whose e-mail addy we have the main account under) had a yahoo ID, and this prodigy one, and did not like logging in and out (to get to yahoo groups vs. getting to her e-mail). Checking their support page, we found a place where you could enter different accounts that could be merged, and now all of them are the same account (which is the "xxxx@prodigy.net" account).

Unfortunately, doing a quick cursory search at work, I could not remember which page it was, or I would post a URL. I remember that they referred to this as "merging" yahoo and prodigy accounts.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Revtim
It sounds like maybe her ID is simply the old Prodigy email address, as MattBrown suggests. I hadn't thought of that because the Yahoo IDs I'm familiar with are simply a word, and not an email address. I was able to add it as a buddy though, so that's a good sign. When she gets around to trying we'll know for sure.
Basically, when you want to use such Yahoo frivolities as Groups (just as an example) but do not have a Yahoo ID yet, you use an existing valid email address (in your mom's case, her Prodigy email) and convert it to the Yahoo ID.

See, the confusion lies in the difference between a Yahoo ID and a Yahoo email address. If I have a Yahoo email address, this doesn't necessarily mean I have a Yahoo ID - when I launch Yahoo messenger for the first time, I can sign on with my Yahoo email address. The other side of the coin is that anyone and their mom (!) can have a Yahoo ID, even without a bona fide Yahoo email address.

Her ID isn't her Prodigy email address, though. What I would do - and forgive me, Tim, if I misread something - is have her sign on as a brand new user to messenger. Don't log in - click where it says (IIRC) Get a Yahoo ID, or New User, on the messenger itself. Then it should walk you through it, allowing her to sign up with her Prodigy email address, to which the messenger will assign an ID.
Old 08-14-2003, 01:03 PM

(upon preview)

NE Texan, that p-net email isn't the ID - it's just the email with which the ID is associated, AFIAK.
Old 08-14-2003, 03:10 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by dantheman
NE Texan, that p-net email isn't the ID - it's just the email with which the ID is associated, AFIAK.
Well, maybe - I'm not sure about the terminology - but...

Before Yahoo, SBC, and Prodigy merged, my wife had an e-mail address xxxx@prodigy.net, a Yahoo ID yyyyyy, and I had a different Yahoo ID zzzzzz.

Once they merged, my wife merged her accounts. Now, when she logs in to Yahoo (even from another computer, like her mom's), she types in "xxxx@prodigy.net" where she used to type in "yyyyyy" (in the space labelled "Yahoo ID"). The Yahoo ID "yyyyyy" does not exist anymore, and she can no longer log in with it. I did not go through a similar merging process, and I still type in "zzzzzz" to read Yahoo groups if I have to log back in.

At the top of the page, it will tell me (if I log in), "Welcome zzzzzz", and it will tell her, "Welcome xxxx@prodigy.net".

Take that as you will.
Old 08-14-2003, 06:23 PM

I can't say for sure, but it does kinda look like the xxxx@prodigy.net email address is in fact also the Yahoo ID. I was able to add it as a buddy in my Messenger, now I just have to wait for my Mom to try to log in with the ID.

Thanks for all the help, guys.
Old 09-03-2003, 10:49 PM

It turns out it was indeed the xxxx@prodigy.net email address that became the Yahoo ID. We've been using it successfully with Yahoo Messenger.

Thanks again folks.