The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 08-20-2003, 10:40 PM
BANNED

Who is the most annoying reality show contestant ever?

After watching another episode of the boring bunch of idiots on Big Brother 4, I realized that not only does it not have anyone to root for (where have you gone, Dr. Will?) it doesn't even have anyone really obnoxious (at least not since Scott was kicked out).

It seems like the most involving reality shows have someone really despicible that I watch every week just hoping to see get the boot. I started wondering who was the most obnoxious I've ever seen, and I think that for me. personally, I've have yet to see anyone who irritated me as much as Brittany Petros from the first Big Brother (she of the nose ring and the two tone hair, and the "group snuggles'). She was such a shameless attention hound she drove me nuts. She even openly tried to shill herself for a job in the "entertainment industry" in her post eviction interview.

So that's me, what about others. Don't just limit it to Big Brother, all reality shows are on the table. Who did you hate? Naked Richard? That gold digger on Joe Millionaire (who's name I can't remember)? How about those insufferable directors on the current Project Greenlight? If you can't remember names, descriptions will do.
Advertisements  
Old 08-20-2003, 11:07 PM

Generaly, as I've managed to avoid regular network television programming, I've seen very few 'reality" type programs. Mostly those on PBS.
I managed to watch Survivor Outback, and from that I give you Jerri. She acussed, she gossiped, and she even went off about animals being killed. She is undoubtly the one game show contestant I've most wanted to smack across the face.

But on the flip side, the Brooks family from PBS' Frontier House were a joy to watch, and the producers made us watch about the Glenn's marriage falling apart and Papa Clune's obsession with protien.But this one still rates as the best type of reality show.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:47 PM
Charter Member

I nominate all of them.
Old 08-20-2003, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

The only reality show I am a regular watcher of is the various Survivor Series. From those I'd recommend Rob, Robb, and Rob.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:03 AM

Kyle from the Real World Chicago.

He was sexist, manipulative, incredibly fake, and a total jerk. I can't actually describe the awfulness that was Kyle, it's really an atrocity you have to witness for yourself.

He's on some soap opera now. Ick.
Old 08-21-2003, 12:08 AM

Flo from the Amazing Race 3. Granted, TAR is the only reality series I watch, so I can't compare her to any Survivor or Big Brother contestants, but still. She whined constantly and gave up every 5 minutes. Yet she managed to win because her partner had the patience of a saint and was willing to drag her around the world.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:07 AM

CT/Chris and Adam from the current Real World Paris aren't doing so well in the PR department. Same with the guy from RW Seattle (Stephen) who slapped Irene as she drove off.
Old 08-21-2003, 02:38 AM

Ahhhh, I got no beef with CT. I rather liked his "Get drunk and play pool until 7 AM" move. And every time he does anything involving flowers, it's gonna be funny. Who's Adam again? The ethnic (for lack of better term) looking guy? As in the one who's not Ace, CT, or Simon?

I didn't want to be the first to bring up MTV reality TV, but since it has and I was going to bring it up anyway...
From the current Road Rules, both the rather large black guy and the most recent woman to join the team piss me off. The guy is always crying and confused about why people aren't happy with him, especially two (I think) weeks ago when he lost the ice-climbing thing for them. The woman complains far too much, IMO, and seems to have been unaware when she signed up that she may have to do some stuff that isn't the most comfortable/pleasant.
Old 08-21-2003, 03:10 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender_Will
From the current Road Rules, both the rather large black guy and the most recent woman to join the team piss me off. The guy is always crying and confused about why people aren't happy with him, especially two (I think) weeks ago when he lost the ice-climbing thing for them. The woman complains far too much, IMO, and seems to have been unaware when she signed up that she may have to do some stuff that isn't the most comfortable/pleasant.
I've actually grown to like Donnell. One good thing about him is that he never whines about missions, and he has to work harder than anyone else to keep up because of his size. He's rude, but he's tough. I agree with you about the newest chick, though. She's so whiny and loud! Who goes onto Road Rules with huge fake nails and then complains about dirt?

I can't choose just one. Honestly, every reality show has at least 1 unstable horrible person in it. I think that's what makes them work. Remember Heidi from Joe Millionaire?
Old 08-21-2003, 05:55 AM

Puck

nuff' said
Old 08-21-2003, 06:49 AM

Cry-baby Josh
Old 08-21-2003, 07:09 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Little Nemo
The only reality show I am a regular watcher of is the various Survivor Series. From those I'd recommend Rob, Robb, and Rob.
Well said! Add Josh from BB3 and Alison from BB4 and I can go with that.

Flip the coin over and the only ones I have rooted for from the start are Ethan from Survivor Africa and Jack from BB4. (I was for Will almost from the start but it was only after a few weeks that I caught on to his style.)
Old 08-22-2003, 02:22 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Ender_Will
Who's Adam again? The ethnic (for lack of better term) looking guy? As in the one who's not Ace, CT, or Simon?
Right.
Old 08-22-2003, 06:37 PM

George W. Bush
Old 08-22-2003, 10:15 PM

I gotta agree, I don't know that Real Worlders are "contestants" so to speak, but they are the premier reality kiddies and no one has ever approached Puck. (Real World San Francisco) Of course, much of that assessment had to be made by watching realizing that if he was that bad in what we were seeing, he had to be much, much worse in the footage that was never seen. And the stories of the housemates in the years since certainly bear that out. Blech.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:11 AM
Charter Member

I'd say Ghandia from Survivor 5 and the black guy from the first Big Brother(the first voted out).
Old 08-23-2003, 08:36 AM

Re: Who is the most annoying reality show contestant ever?

Quote:
Originally posted by Diogenes the Cynic

So that's me, what about others. Don't just limit it to Big Brother, all reality shows are on the table. Who did you hate? Naked Richard?
Hell, I say stop the debate right here. Richard Hatch's victory in the first Survivor is what woke me up to what a phony dog-and-pony show all the "reality shows" are. In a true "survival" situation or a primitive society his divisive manipulation would have threatened the very lives of the people in the group by destroying any semblance of cohesion or teamwork. Somebody probably would've murdered him, or he'd have been banished and died alone. But in our modern society he wins $1 million. Jeezus.
The one thing he had going for him, in retrospect, is that he was a real individual with no ulterior motive for being on the show. Every contestant on these so-called "reality" shows now is just some phoney wannabe-actor looking for free publicity to jump-start their career. Even the dating shows, for the most part, only pick people who are about as good-looking as anyone else you'll see on television. I guess an overweight, untanned office manager from Gary, Indiana, would be so much less interesting to watch than some airhead from southern Cali or West Palm Beach.
Old 08-23-2003, 09:13 AM

I feel like there's so many dumb reality shows I could just make up names and nobody would know the difference.

I hated Lucy from the second season the The Bachelor, David from the second Amazing Race, Juan from the Real World, Paul from Mr. Personality, and Cynthia from Survivor: The Congo.
Old 08-23-2003, 04:49 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Since I run the Reality TV Hall of Shame, I think I should chime in here. (All links below are to Hall of Shame articles, for the record.)

Puck is definitely up there. I just got an e-mail from him a couple days ago because he recently found out he was inducted into the Reality TV Hall of Shame (though it was quite some time ago). He's still a massive @$$hole.

Besides him, I would suggest Krista from Big Brother 2.

And then there's Vecepia from Survivor: Marquesas -- probably the worst winner of any show EVER.

Out of everybody, though, if you're going to include shows that are not competitions, you've got to go with Anna Nicole Smith.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:33 PM

Joanna, the hallelujia-hurlin' twit from Survivor: Amazon. Absolutely dreadful person.
Old 08-23-2003, 06:53 PM

I had a lot of fun bashing Jamie Kern, aka "The Chin," on the BigBrotherBlows boards, back in 2000.
Old 08-23-2003, 10:51 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

minty, you're right about JoAnna, of course -- but maybe one reason I think Vecepia is worse is that she was around longer. On the other hand, at least Vecepia knew what the game was about and didn't do things like whine that the immunity idol was anti-Christian and caused the rain to come in the rainforest! Plus, JoAnna provided me with one of most bizarre interviews I've ever seen.

I have to say, it's tough to pick just one "most annoying" person!
Old 08-23-2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Juan from the Real World
Juan??
Old 08-24-2003, 03:19 AM

Survivor
- The eternally braying donkeys. The prototype for this is Jerri Manthey. If you're going to be a useless, pathetic lump, at least do it quietly, dammit.
- The clueless twits who never realize that there's a competition going on and you have to be ruthless to win, whining about honor and borken promises and other crap when they get voted out.
- The incompetent dolts who try to follow in Richard Hatch's footsteps. Guys, his "pure evil" strategy was used against a bunch of naive rookies, and even then it barely succeeded (three votes, including the one which won him the million, came down to the final card). Anyone who tries to do the same is in for a clobbering.

The Amazing Race
- Anyone and everyone who capitalizes on the myriad UNFAIR rules in the show, including being the first to a ham-handed bunchup point and not being able to make any progress, or completely failing to finish one of the tasks and getting a wrist-slap 30-minute penalty for it. (Don't even get me started on those moronic nonelimination points.)

The undisputed champ in this field, of course, is Flo. Who, BTW, turned me off to this once-riveting program for good.
Old 08-24-2003, 12:03 PM

Steph from BB4 (the english one). I bet hardly any of you know who I'm talking about but she had the most annoying voice and hair I've ever seen/heard.