The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-04-2003, 09:45 AM

Is it "toute suite" or "tout de suite"?

Sometimes you hear people use a French expression in English pronounced "toot sweet". The meaning is like Spanish pronto or rural American English right quick. Often, when spelled out, this expression is spelled as the two French words tout suite.

But shouldn't this expression be spelled tout de suite? IIRC, the French expression pas tout de suite means in English approximately "not so fast". It seems pretty likely to me that pas tout de suite and tout de suite are conceptually related expressions.

BTW, for Francopone Dopers: what is the literal meaning of tout de suite in English? "All of ... ?" I know this is an idiomatic expression, but still I'm wondering what the word suite translates into.
Advertisements  
Old 09-04-2003, 09:55 AM

It is written tout de suite, however, here in Québec, the d is often dropped when talking and his pronounced toute suite.

As for for the litteral translation it would be "everything (or all) follows in a row (line)".
Old 09-04-2003, 12:06 PM
Charter Member

Regional accents do play a part, as they do in any language. While in Francophone Africa, I had an employee who was from near Toulouse in the south of France. He pronounced the subject phrase "tout-eh de suite", with the "eh" softly dropped. Perhaps it was an affectation, but it was noticeable.
Old 09-04-2003, 12:37 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Chefguy
Regional accents do play a part, as they do in any language. While in Francophone Africa, I had an employee who was from near Toulouse in the south of France. He pronounced the subject phrase "tout-eh de suite", with the "eh" softly dropped. Perhaps it was an affectation, but it was noticeable.
This raises a point that I've always wondered about. Terminal "e," unless marked by an accent, is always silent in spoken French, right? Yet when I hear French people sing, they always seem to voice terminal e, as in "Le soleil a rendezvous avec la lun-uh." I have to think this is an accepted practice, as the song seems to be written with two notes for the word "lune." Is this a dialect thing? Do some French speakers voice the "e" in normal speech?
Old 09-04-2003, 01:18 PM

Final 'e'

Some people in Southern France still pronounce the final 'e'.
Old 09-04-2003, 01:38 PM

Tout de suite.

But in spoken French, words tend to run together. The "de" is added to the first word, the t at the end of "tout" is silent, and "d" sounds in French are often changed to "t" sounds. So "tout" suite is close to the way it sounds, at least for casual conversations. When making a speech or talking to a big wig, you don't take so many liberties.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:11 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Dr_Paprika
Tout de suite.

But in spoken French, words tend to run together. The "de" is added to the first word, the t at the end of "tout" is silent, and "d" sounds in French are often changed to "t" sounds. So "tout" suite is close to the way it sounds, at least for casual conversations. When making a speech or talking to a big wig, you don't take so many liberties.
Additionally, consonants are not expirated as they are in English. In other words, breath is not exhaled with the letter. It takes practice for an English speaker to do this. All of which has little to do with the OP, but provided for information.
Old 09-04-2003, 02:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Biffy the Elephant Shrew
This raises a point that I've always wondered about. Terminal "e," unless marked by an accent, is always silent in spoken French, right? Yet when I hear French people sing, they always seem to voice terminal e, as in "Le soleil a rendezvous avec la lun-uh." I have to think this is an accepted practice, as the song seems to be written with two notes for the word "lune." Is this a dialect thing? Do some French speakers voice the "e" in normal speech?
\

Sometimes you'll hear it in Southern France but in general conversational French, not so much. In singing and while reading poetry out loud however, you hear the terminal "e". That's just the way it's supposed to be pronounced. They count as part of the syllables. My profs never explained why this was, just that in poetry and song you would pronounce that e.