Opening Chess Move:Both Knights?

I remember reading in a book a long time ago that a legal opening move whereas you move both knights at the same time for the most move. Can anyone verify this?
Thanks,
Stpauler

Oops, that should be Chess, and not Chest. Mod, Help? :smiley:

In the game of Chess the only time two pieces can move at the same time is when you castle.

It’s a good idea to advance your 2 knights into the centre but you cannot move both your knights at the same time unless your are cheating.

My favorite opening chest move is a mid-sternal incision…

The reason they say to move your knights forward early is because the knights are one of the most slowly moving pieces in the game. They are also one of the most useful. Being the case, it is best to control the center of the board early.

Sounds like you’re referring to the classical four knights opening, but the knights all move one at a time, not simultaneously.

Pawns move so much more slowly than the knights, plus form a wall of defense, this is why a first move with a pawn (especially a central pawn) is much more frequent than leading off with a knight. But yeah, knights tend to be brought in pretty quickly in the opening. Especially since they can leap over.

Qadgop, wasn’t that just the perfect setup for you? Good one.

I’m not going to you when I’m coughing up the greenies. “Yes, Mr Paprika, I’ve been able to verify your pneumonia directly.”

OMG. No Such Move. Always Open With QP 2-4 or KP 2-4, depending upon how bored you are with the person and how soon you want to get it over with.

I like to get the knights out early, you need to get a pawn out of the way so you can move your bishops.

But with the 2 knights moved out and towards the center, you cover the 4 center squares in the center of the board. Which makes it hard on your opponents.

If you like chess, there is a computer game named Fritz, that will allow you to play others via the internet. Right now there are 250 people from all over the world playing against each other.

You can also just watch them play each other.

And you can play the computer, but it is tunable so that it doesn’t kick you ass every time. It also can offer hints, and analyze your games - telling you what you did wrong! :smiley:

I may be wrong here so don’t take this as gospel but I seem to recall Bobby Fischer proposing a change in rules to permit the 2 knight simultaneous opening.

You wanna game of chess stpauler? e-mail me

There are no end of Chess variants, and even the mighty Cecil himself got thrown by a half-remembered bit of doggerel:

“Another variation is the two-rooks rule in chess, which (as I understand it) allows you to move both rooks one square forward from their original spots at the same time.”

It turned out no-one else on Earth was familiar with this, suggesting Cecil had come up with it during a Peyote vacation.

Hi, your probably mixing up the knight moves with the ability of a pawn to move one or two squares on it’s first move.

So in the opening the first move is generally 1.e4 in which the Kings pawn has moved two squares instead of one.

Maybe that was gargled up with having to recall Knights are the only pieces that can jump over other pieces.

As a note; the four, three or two knights openings don’t have the two knights pulled out as your first and second move. I’d be weary to play both my knights out without moving a pawn first.

As others have said - no such rule.
The modern moves of the pieces (especially of the queen and bishop) came in around 1500.
(Previously the Arabian form of chess ‘Shatranj’ had the queen ‘Firzan’ moving one square diagonally and the bishop ‘Fils’ jumping 2 squares diagonally - easilly the weakest piece ever!)

Gazpacho rightly points out that castling is the only example of two pieces moving.

As a professional chess coach, I teach beginners:

• control the centre
  • develop all your pieces
  • castle early

Of course these are only guidelines, but you must start somewhere.
I think knights come out early because bishops etc have more choice. So you have more flexibility in replying to your opponents plans with the other pieces.
Knights are far less useful than rooks + queens; the pawn structure will decide whether bishops or knights are better.

What, no smilie? :confused:
The old notation would be P-Q4 or P-K4. Nowadays the international standard is d4 and e4 respectively.
Grandmasters will happily open with d4, e4, c4 or Nf3. g3 and b3 are rare.
Transpositions between openings mean that no first move will affect the length of the game.

Fritz is also widely used for background analysis by the Chessbase openings database.

There are many servers offering chess games, e.g.:

http://www.itsyourturn.com/

http://www.freechess.org/

http://www.chessclub.com/ (this site alone has over 25,000 members and 1250 current players)

No, he didn’t, but despite a sad mental decline, Fischer did make two interesting suggestions:

• Fischer chess clock limits
    (previously you played say 40 moves in 2 hours, and there could be a time scramble if players thought for a long time over their early moves.)
    Here are some time limits offered to top players:

A) 150 minutes plus 30 seconds for all moves (All/150+30)

B) 40 moves in 100 minutes plus 30 seconds and 60 minutes plus 30 seconds for all moves (40/100+30, All/60 + 30)

C) 40 moves in 2 hours, followed by 20 moves in one hour, followed by 15 minutes plus 30 seconds for all moves (40/2, 20/1, 15+30/All)

• Fischer Random chess
    (you shuffle the pieces on the back rank before the game, subject to a couple of limitations. It avoids opening analysis, but has not really caught on.)