The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 09-13-2003, 08:30 PM

Do you see colors when you close your eyes, too?

Now, first off.. I am NOT a drug user, I do not "booze it up", I do not smoke or toke. When I am very tired, sometimes I see a very dim, neon green ring of color in my mind when I close my eyes. It seems to be moving away from me and it's continuous (it seems to vanish only to have another follow it away).

I can also make myself see little bright red glowing dots that I can make spin or get closer, ocassionally I can change the color to green or cyan. I also see (this is rare) the black and dim orange stripes of a tiger walking across my vision (eyes closed so it's dark), just the stripes in a cat shape.

Yes, I know how this must be sounding to you, the reader. Again, I assure you... I do NOT take drugs. Perhaps my parents partook while I was merely a twinkle in daddy's eye but they assure me, they have not. Now, I beg you, the reader, to reveal as I have, whether or not you have ever had this experience or one very similar. No, I do NOT take drugs or any medications whatsoever!

Am I the only one??
Old 09-13-2003, 08:41 PM

The red to green dots have happened to me, but they don't seem to care if my eyes are opened or closed, and I have no control over the color change.
Old 09-13-2003, 08:44 PM

Me + Buckleberry = Yay! I'm NOT alone!
Old 09-13-2003, 09:17 PM

I was thinking the same thing as I read your post--I think I may have told my mother about those little dots, and she thought I was out of my tree.

::bounces::
Old 09-13-2003, 09:43 PM

I think everyone is able to see them, but maybe not everyone would necessarily notice them. The dots, lights, stripes and zig-zags are called Phosphenes. You can see them if you press on your eyeballs, or sit in the dark with your eyes closed.

They can be induced by drug use, too. I'm not sure if they'd technically be called an hallucination in that case.

I think I read somewhere that some Aboriginal art is based on phosphenes that they saw in their so-called trance states.
Old 09-13-2003, 09:44 PM

I see weird stuff.. not imagining it, actually SEEING it.

I saw a skull, and lightning (which was probably the veins in my eyes) and colors, spots, everything...

But then, I probably am just crazy.

Don't let my username fool you. I'm a girl.
Old 09-13-2003, 10:41 PM

I see the EXACT same thing. The green rings and the red dots. I get pulsating balls of purple too...And here I thought I was crazy. Hooray! So this phosphenes thing. Elaborate. What are they/what are they caused by? HOW COULD SOMEONE NOT NOTICE THEM?!
Old 09-13-2003, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Topaz
I see weird stuff.. not imagining it, actually SEEING it.

I saw a skull, and lightning (which was probably the veins in my eyes) and colors, spots, everything...

But then, I probably am just crazy.
I "see" things too some times, but only in black or white. They look the most like shadow puppets (real ones, not the ones you make with your fingers in front of a light) but I can't usually decide what they look like before they're gone.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:03 PM

I have the green ring RahRahMah and Spider get as well, (a couple of times it's had a flashing checkered center) and I've also seen Topaz's lightening. I've had various colored dots as well.

Ever since I was a kid, If I rubbed my eyes, I could "see" a rainbow colored orb rotating at the same manner as my hand in the corner of my field of vision (even though my eyes were closed, if that makes sense). When I was younger, I remember it being green sometimes and red other times.

I also seem to remember being very young, and seeing lots of geomentric patterns when I'd close my eyes on car rides when the sun was very bright. The memory's very dim, but I can vaguely recall closing my eyes and seeing really interesting shapes flashing (sort of like quilts, or Navaho art) in bright reds and browns. I've never been able to figure that out.

It's interesting that some of us share the same ones, though.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:08 PM

Couple quick searches produced this:

Here's a definition from an online medical dictionary.

Here's something from what looks like an artist's page. This sort of resembles some Aboriginal artwork I've seen, in a way. Looks like this person sees skull-type images too.

I've also seen the zig-zags appear as a precursor to migraines. These ones cause a sort of temporary blind-spot phenomenon when I have my eyes open. Some kind of brain activity stimulating the retina, I imagine. With eyes closed, they are vivid, pastel-coloured zig-zags.

I've seen them all my life, but my husband says he doesn't see them. I think he could, but perhaps he just falls asleep too fast. That's what I mean by not noticing them.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:26 PM

Damn--and I thought I was the only one who saw actual OBJECTS. When I was a kid, I swear, I was able to see Spider-Man swinging in front of my face.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:30 PM

Yes, I do. And it's very very fun. Sometimes I sit in a dark room and just watch the light show.

...why yes, it is 9:30 on Saturday night.
Old 09-13-2003, 11:45 PM

I see them too. Usually a green field, with sort of a crackled appearance.

It's also what I see when I get one of the dreaded "auras" that accompany migraines. That's when I know it's gonna be a really bad one.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:00 AM

Yup, I see them too. And if I'm really tired, I'll start seeing full images. It can become quite hallucinogenic, actually.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:14 AM

I see them as well...., but I do "booze it up" and "toke," in addition to some other things so....

Most of what I see is mainly geometric in nature, with purple and green seeming to be chromatic "opposites." That is to say I see purple in dim lighting, and green in brighter lighting, with them being complements depedning on texture and distance.

I would think everyone gets some of these types of "visions," it's why religion developed. So we could see visions through the hallucinogenic effects of substances like soma. At least that's what Terence McKenna advocates in his book Food of the Gods. Who knows, maybe others are just deluding themselves into thinking that they don't see them
Old 09-14-2003, 12:31 AM

I compare what I see when I close my eyes to a black and gray lava lamp. I do not see colors. Occasionally, as the black and the gray "float" around I see objects that I can distinctly make out, such as, faces or houses, or animals. I compare it to someone seeing objects when looking at the clouds.

When I was a teenager and suffered from peti mal seizures, I thought my "lava lamp" was a symptom. No one that I spoke to knew what the hell I was talking about and thought I was nuts.

I realize now that I am nuts. Macadamia, to be exact.
Old 09-14-2003, 12:53 AM

All the time. I always see blue an yellow lines when I close my eyes. Want to see a lot of colors, close your eyes and look directly at the sun for a few secs and then turn away.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:05 AM

I can see colors too. Usually they are neon blues, greens, orange or pink. I've never done drugs, or been drunk in my life, either.
Old 09-14-2003, 01:17 AM

YAY for us all!! I don't ever press my eyes in though, I just see this stuff when I'm really tired. The tiger shaped thing happens during the daytime though. I also used to make these little whirling spirals appear in my vision when I'd wake up too early to get out of bed to play (couldn't bug the parents yet on those weekend mornings kind of deal). I could make the spirals big or small...

(remembers more weird eye stuff now that she's really delving)

I could make a scene in my head, dim with my eyes being closed, of a pumpin patch. It would start with those red glowing dots and they'd get closer and I'd see a pumpkin patch with a fence and a little hill...

Am I nutty now? Are you scared of me now? Why are you backing away like that... ? Hey! Stop running from meeeeeeeee! I didn't tell you about the green fern-like plants with curling tendrils I could also see on the rarest occasions. HEY, come back!!
Old 09-14-2003, 01:28 AM

If I press on my eyes, the patterns spin faster, or change direction/color.
Old 09-14-2003, 03:10 AM
Charter Member

What's REALLY weird is when having a 'slit-lamp' exam at the ophthalmologists, and on a certain angle, you can see the blood vessels in your very own eye!!

Sort of nauseating but cool as well.

Old 09-14-2003, 05:49 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by kambuckta
What's REALLY weird is when having a 'slit-lamp' exam at the ophthalmologists, and on a certain angle, you can see the blood vessels in your very own eye!!

Wow. That's weird. I'm going to have to go ask for that exam. We see some crazy stuff:

Quote:
orange stripes of a tiger
walking across my vision
red
to
green dots ...
no control
over the color change
dots, lights, stripes and zig-zags
a skull
and lightning
purple and green.

seeming to be chromatic
The green rings and the red dots.
pulsating balls of purple
look the most like shadow puppets -

(real ones, not the ones you make with your fingers in front of a light).

I can distinctly make out ... faces or houses
or animals, a rainbow colored orb
rotating
vivid, pastel-coloured.
look directly at the sun
turn away.
neon blues, greens, orange or pink a pumpkin patch with a fence and a little hill...
I press on my eyes,
the patterns spin faster
the blood vessels in your very own eye
I took a little poetic license. Anything else to add, all?
Old 09-14-2003, 06:30 AM

Sometimes I see the green neon rings when I rub my eyes.

When it's dark in my room, when I close my eyes, I can make abstract neon shapes of various colours to whirl, dance, and zagzig in front of my eyes. At times it would be strands of coloured light, sometimes it would be spheres. It's a great light show and very fun
Old 09-14-2003, 07:53 PM

How about when your eyes are open? If I'm looking at stuff abd actually seeing it I don't notice it, but I'm just sort of looking at the stuff I can notice that it sort of moves. I mean, it all looks sort of swirly. I know the STUFF isn't swirly I know it's in my eyeball, but what does that mean?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by kambuckta

I don't know...I had that exam done when I burned my cornea(chemical burn) when I was 7 or 8, and it was a lot more upsetting and nauseating than cool. Where's the "barf" smilie when you need them?
Old 09-14-2003, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Guinastasia

It's also what I see when I get one of the dreaded "auras" that accompany migraines. That's when I know it's gonna be a really bad one.
I do that EXACT same thing. What I see behind my eyelids is what I see in the aura of really nasty migraine, except it's magnified about 100%. That's my warning to go immediately to bed and cram the pillow over my head for the next 4 hours or so.

I also see the "Shadow puppet" images someone else mentioned. It can be awfully distracting when you start paying attention to them while trying to fall asleep.

I had an unusual experience once when I was a kid when I fell head-first off a horse. I landed on my head and on my way down to the ground I must have glanced across the field at the barn because for the next hour I could see a photographic image of the barn superimposed over everything. When I closed my eyes I could still see that image in bright color. It was really bizarre and kind of cool too, although I wouldn't recommend falling head-first off a horse to get the effect.
Old 09-14-2003, 11:55 PM

My eye doth spy...

Thank GOD I'm not the only one! I thought I was a freak or something. Well, I could still be but NOt about these weird eye visuals.

I'm gonna concentrate tonight and make some new things. I'll keep you, my readers, posted.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:14 PM

2 years ago i shut my eyes to sleep and i started seeing shapes and orbs i actually thought it was pretty fascinating....than people showed up and started talking to me. these conversations lasted 8 months until they were keeping me from sleeping and overwhelmed me with random images some disturbing....i was talking to a girl and this guy came up and started "peeing" all over my "screen"....so i took my imaginary sword and chopped off his dong. Anyways these visions developed into schizophrenia, i'm sure you saw that coming. I was involved in a bad motorcycle accident and my understanding is the rapid firing of the frontal lobe caused this. My advice is be careful and catch schizophrenia early, it might be amusing at first, but to this day i will close my eyes and there is people hangin out waiting for me to join their conversation at any given moment of the day. This is my first post ever on a forum....thanks for listening
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM

i should add that these "people" would overwhelm me with disturbing images when i was trying to sleep like swastikas, pointing guns at me or when i was taking a shower or doing something naked they would point out there is kids present and show them suggesting i should cover up it was quite rediculous.....i was watching ufc once at a friends house and they pulled the same stuff....my reality became warped into believing these people actually existed in a parallel universe......you guys obviously have not heard voices or you may never just catch it early.....that visual experience totally blew out of the water into something huge. Apparently there is like 10 types of psychosis, which start out with seeing shapes and hearing voices so if i were you keep it on the downlow or you'll end up in the psych ward as society will want to fix anything out of the norm.....having said that my case was different. Actually i'd recommend getting checked out i wouldnt want someones life to be taken over like mine was

Last edited by nashville141; 03-29-2011 at 11:32 PM..
Old 03-29-2011, 11:38 PM

Well, it's been over seven years since I last posted in this thread and I'm still not schizophrenic, so I think I'm okay.
Old 03-30-2011, 12:00 AM

I only see colours when i close my eyes and drift back into the `70s
Old 03-30-2011, 05:31 AM

Interesting thread. I never see anything but at most a little pale white mottling, I feel a little jealous. And to think that I recently read a book where a character referred to watching "the colors on the inside of her eyelids" and thought they were just being poetic/spooky.

As far as mental illness and "seeing things" goes, just because you see things that aren't there doesn't necessarily mean you are going insane. Minor hallucinations are a lot more common than people think. What generally turns it into a problem is when something breaks with whatever part of the brain it is that labels perceptions as either "real" or "unreal"; it's then that you will start to treat those hallucinations as true instead of just going "huh, that looks weird".
Old 03-30-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguineSpider View Post
Am I the only one??
I've had things like that since I was but a child. They were wonderfully entertaining when I was trying to get to sleep when I wasn't tired.

I'd just lay back, and watch as I took my eyes on a journey that my body never did get to go on. In fact, it still happens today, I just ignore it more than not.
Old 03-30-2011, 04:05 PM

I see Elvis
Old 03-31-2011, 07:56 PM

I did a cursory gowiki and it is apparently eminently normal. I must admit I never really thought about it until now. Mine are kinda neat. Usually I see nothing but afterimages or varying flat sheets of color, but if I close my eyes hard I get an amazing kaleidoscope of swirling triangles. It's fun!

A link for the lazy: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phosphene
Old 03-31-2011, 09:20 PM

I also see them during a seizure, at least the small ones. If I do during the larger ones, I couldn't tell you, since I do not remember any of them.

I made sort of a rough image of what mine usually looks like. It's not exact, but it'll give you an idea. It's more blurred, and it doesn't have a strict pattern like that, but that's the closest I can get. And usually it's moving. (I didn't feel like animating it)

Last edited by Guinastasia; 03-31-2011 at 09:21 PM..
Old 03-31-2011, 09:25 PM

You're not the only one, I see colors when I close my eyes too. Also I randomly sometimes get spots of light in my vision that temporarily leaves without being able to see much. I saw a specialist and was told its a type of migraine.
Old 04-01-2011, 08:15 AM

I get green rings, red and blue lightning, and deep purple starbursts. Occasionally yellow or white sparkles. I can induce the purples at any time by scrunching my eyes shut hard, holding it for a few seconds and releasing fast.
Old 04-03-2011, 07:06 PM

Same Here

I always see pixels in my vision. It's like when you use an older TV, you can practically see all the pixels. I see exactly that.
And just today, I walked into my bedroom, it was really dark so I turned my light on, right as I turned it on I looked into my mirror, I saw a neon green light. It looked like a bright colored ruler, so it was 30cm. It was just floating there, and it was kind of freaky.
I turned off my light to see if it would leave, sure enough, it did. But, it was replaced. This time I saw a neon pink ruler, it was actually pretty.
I wanted to see if I could touch it, so I walked towards it, but it moved too. It started coming towards me, and then it went under my light. I could still see it, so i put my hand underneath the floating object. I was able to hold it. It didn't feel like I was holding anything though, it felt like air, but it also felt like my hand was gone. It was really weird.
I moved my hand, but the neon pink light came with it. I was surely holding it. Then, it left, I looked back at my mirror, and the same thing happened. The pink light was floating there, and it came towards me.
I'm kinda freaked out here!!!
And everytime i look at a light (like a light bulb or something) I'm blinded by the light, but the image of the light is there for two minutes. I then see these cyan colored circles popping up.
When I close my eyes, I can see stars and the scales of an alligator. It's really weird. I also see blue lights.
Old 04-04-2011, 12:36 AM

I see dark purple, black, and white spiderwebs completely weaved together and morphing into black and white shattered glass shards. It's hard to describe but ever since I was little I've always seen the same thing and I've always tried to think of a way to show people what I see when I close my eyes.
Old 04-04-2011, 09:10 AM

Damn. I though Sanguine Spider was back. She's the only spider I never wanted to smash with a rock.
Old 11-03-2012, 10:50 AM

hmmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanguineSpider View Post
Now, first off.. I am NOT a drug user, I do not "booze it up", I do not smoke or toke. When I am very tired, sometimes I see a very dim, neon green ring of color in my mind when I close my eyes. It seems to be moving away from me and it's continuous (it seems to vanish only to have another follow it away).

I can also make myself see little bright red glowing dots that I can make spin or get closer, ocassionally I can change the color to green or cyan. I also see (this is rare) the black and dim orange stripes of a tiger walking across my vision (eyes closed so it's dark), just the stripes in a cat shape.

Yes, I know how this must be sounding to you, the reader. Again, I assure you... I do NOT take drugs. Perhaps my parents partook while I was merely a twinkle in daddy's eye but they assure me, they have not. Now, I beg you, the reader, to reveal as I have, whether or not you have ever had this experience or one very similar. No, I do NOT take drugs or any medications whatsoever!

Am I the only one??
colours, light ~ astral
purple light ~ astral space
As you practise the various techniques working on the third eye,
you will encounter mainly 3 types of experiences between the
eyebrows: 1) vibration, 2) colours and light, 3) purple light.
Roughly speaking, the first one indicates an activation of the
etheric layer, the second indicates the astral, while the perception
of the purple light indicates that a connection has been made with
the astral space (the terms etheric and astral will be developed
further on in this book).
Of course these indications are far too simplified to be completely
exact. But from an experiential point of view they provide helpful
references to allow you to find your way in the beginning.
1) Vibration, tingling, a feeling of pressure, weight, or density, all
have the same significance when felt between the eyebrows. They
indicate that something is being activated in the etheric part of
your third eye.
The etheric body is the layer of life force, equivalent to the prāṇa
of the Indian tradition and the qi of traditional Chinese medicine.
(The third eye is not a physical organ, it is predominantly etheric
and astral.)
The vibration (or any of its equivalents, such as tingling, pulsing,
pressure, density...) is the sensation by which the etheric is
perceived. Whenever you feel it somewhere in your body, it
indicates that the etheric layer is activated in this area. So the
perception of the vibration between the eyebrows is nothing other
than a perception of the etheric part of the third eye.
Since tingling, pressure, density or weight have more or less the
same significance, to simplify I shall refer to all of them by the
same word: vibration. Therefore, whenever you read ‘vibration’ in
this book, it refers to any or all of these different forms. For
instance, “Build up the vibration between the eyebrows,” means:
build up the modality that is most natural to you – vibration,
pressure, density, or their equivalent. Anyway after some time
the vibration will be perceived as all of these simultaneously.
There are different levels of vibration, just as there are different
levels of etheric energy, some more subtle than others. The
intensity of the vibration may vary from one day to the next.
Apart from quantitative variations, it is also the quality of the
Chapter 3 – Awakening the Third Eye
vibration that tends to vary naturally from one day to another.
Consequently it is important not to cling to any modality but to
flow with what comes each day. After some time the experience
will become more stable and the energy movements will be more
under your control.
2) The second type of experience that can take place between the
eyebrows is that of (non-physical) lights of various sorts, from a
vague haze, cloud, or glow, to colours and organised patterns. These
various manifestations can be regarded as equivalent, and indicate
that something is being activated in the astral part of your third
eye. To simplify, I will refer to all of them by the term ‘light’. So
each time you read ‘light’ in this book, it means all or any of
these: haze, colours, light patterns, shining dots or anything that
glows. Choose the one that comes most naturally to you and let it
be gradually refined into a more and more brilliant light.
The astral body is the layer of mental consciousness and emotions.
The equation ‘(non-physical) light = astral’ is not absolute, for
certain high frequencies of light come from far above the astral
layer. But as you will quickly learn to recognize, the lights and
colours that commonly appear between the eyebrows when you
‘switch on’ your eye are a clear indicator that the astral part of
the third eye is being activated.
3) The purple light is often perceived as the background of the
other lights or colour patterns. It gives the feeling of an expanse
or of a space that extends in front of your third eye. The deeper
you contact the purple light, the more you perceive it as a space
that is not only in front of you but all around you. This space
corresponds to what esotericists call the astral space.
This space of consciousness is not always perceived as purple, but
also as dark blue or even black. What matters most is the feeling
of space, whatever the colour of darkness perceived. I will
therefore use the word ‘space’ for the dark expanse at the
background of the third eye, regardless of its colour.
Note that the perception of the purple space is quite simple, and
that many people have experienced it (in particular during
childhood) without realizing its real nature.
Old 11-03-2012, 11:25 AM

woo.

I see dead threads, too.