The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 09-16-2003, 12:12 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

13-year-olds having oral sex on a school bus

How'd this escape the attention of the Pitizens?
Quote:
The Pittsburgh Channel
HOOKSTOWN, Pa. -- Two 13-year-old Beaver County students who allegedly had oral sex in plain view of others during a bus ride could face expulsion, WTAE's Shannon Perrine reported Monday.

The alleged incident involved a pair of seventh-graders in the South Side Area School District who were on a school bus returning from a field trip.

The students have been suspended for the remainder of the school year.

A school board hearing to discuss further discipline will be held Monday evening.

At least one teacher was on the bus at the time. The school district has not said whether that teacher witnessed the alleged sex act.
The mother of one suspended girl sued the school district to rescind the supsension. Why? She says the suspension was in violation her daughter's rights because there was school rules did not explicitly state oral sex on the bus is not acceptable. What the fuck is this shit?

At least Judge George James had the good sense to tell Mom to get out of his courtroom.
Advertisements  
Old 09-16-2003, 12:22 PM

What do they expect the kids to do in a place called Beaver County? Join the 4-H club?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM

Well, being a victim of having to ride the "BUS" in high school, I can tell you actions such as these have been going on for quite a while. IMO, the girl got caught with her mouth full, she should face the consequences.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:28 PM
Charter Member

The 42nd president of this great nation said on television for the whole country to hear that oral stimulation is not a sex act.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:38 PM

Great minds, Juanita....

But who is really to blame here?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:41 PM
Twee Varmint

Quote:
Originally posted by JuanitaTech
What do they expect the kids to do in a place called Beaver County? Join the 4-H club?
4-H? What, does that stand for "Hos, Hookers, Horny and a Helluva Good Time?"

I wish I'd joined that when I was younger.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:42 PM

I don't know about anyone else, but I did not know what oral sex was at 13 years old. I certainly didn't even have sex on the brain. These kids today are learning stuff at such an early age. I am shocked! What troubles me is where the kids got this idea and the nerve to act on it? I remember when on cable tv you never saw anyone have sex Now it not only implies raw sex but often S&M, Oral sex, Rape and so much more.

Are the parents at fault for not talking to the kids? For not watching what the kids are reading or watching on tv? What could their parents have done differntly?

I think they should be suspended but should not be free to not attend school for the rest of the year. Perhaps their county has an "alternative" school.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:48 PM

I would also like to rant on this subject, because as a 13 year old I never got any oral sex ever on a bus ride.

WHAT KINDA CRAP IS THIS?
Old 09-16-2003, 12:51 PM

I never rode a bus to school.

My mother gave me a ride.

Go ahead, start. Yeah, I dare ya.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by seal_cleaner

I'm not gonna take the bait on that, because it was the same for me.

Your mother gave me a ride, too.
Old 09-16-2003, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by mouthbreather
I would also like to rant on this subject, because as a 13 year old I never got any oral sex ever on a bus ride.

WHAT KINDA CRAP IS THIS?
Did you ever give any oral sex on a bus ride? Well, there you go. Can't be expecting to get if you're not willin to give.

Enjoy,
Steven
Old 09-16-2003, 12:59 PM

Beaver County? Hookstown? South Side Area School District? Did they have some 8th graders name this shit? Why not come on down to Bitchville Rd. Boys Club for Horny Pimps and grab some flyers about how you can get free parking at Blow Job State Park when you support the Church of Poontang's "Pick up Litter!" campaign. Jeesh.

But, as far as the subject of 13 year old blow jobs for 13 year olds, I'll register in the "For" column. I wish I was getting hummers on the way to school in the 8th grade. I didn't get any bus action till sophmore year. I might have burned less stuff had I gotten proper relief . . . .

DaLovin' Dj
Old 09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Isabelle
Perhaps their county has an "alternative" school.
It would seem so, my second link mentioned such a program.

I must admit, the Beaver thing was on my mind, too.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:01 PM
Charter Member

quote:
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Originally posted by seal_cleaner

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally posted by A Monkey With a Gun
I'm not gonna take the bait on that, because it was the same for me.

Your mother gave me a ride, too.
Matter O' fact, yer Momma gave so many people rides, they called your car The School Bus.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:06 PM

I'm gonna withhold my opinion until I ride a mile on the Beaver Bus.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:06 PM

Quote:
These kids today are learning stuff at such an early age.
Yes. And that's great.
Quote:
Are the parents at fault for not talking to the kids? For not watching what the kids are reading or watching on tv? What could their parents have done differntly?
Explained that social norms dictate that sex is to be had out of public view.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:07 PM

For those of you haveing fun with Beaver County, Let me up the ante. I saw Primus perform at the Beaver Dome ~ 1994.

Les had a field day.

Also, this was news a few years ago.

http://www.cnn.com/2000/US/11/20/embarrassingbeaver.ap/
Old 09-16-2003, 01:08 PM

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I did not know what oral sex was at 13 years old. I certainly didn't even have sex on the brain.
Oh, please. If you're not thinking about sex when you're 13 there's something wrong with you.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:09 PM

haveing.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:13 PM

"Because of the unfortunate connotations, Beaver U. will now be changing it's name to Vagina Tech."
Old 09-16-2003, 01:20 PM

I'm guessing that the district does not have a policy explicitly forbidding students from bringing large rodents on the school bus..setting said rodents on fire..and laughing in glee.

I guess dumbass mom would think that's ok as well?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:21 PM

I went to Morehead State University, so I guess I shouldn't mock . . .
Old 09-16-2003, 01:23 PM

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I did not know what oral sex was at 13 years old.
I suspect further investigation will show you that you are the exception rather than the rule in this case.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:32 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lieu
"Because of the unfortunate connotations, Beaver U. will now be changing it's name to Vagina Tech."
Ha. Bit of poor planning on our part actually. We will once again be changing our name, from Vagina Tech to University of Terus.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:33 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by carrot
Ha. Bit of poor planning on our part actually. We will once again be changing our name, from Vagina Tech to University of Terus.
I don't get it.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:34 PM

I respectfully disagree with you Lord Ashtar
I think kids should be sheltered from that until they are older then at 13.

Anybody who disputes that "it takes a village" to raise a child is on some kind of glue. The whole world is bigger and meaner and scarier and much more dangerous than ever before, and action must be taken NOW.
Our kids are too precious for us to fail them just because we wish things were different.
And that is my opinion.
The kids who had the nerve to have oral sex on the bus have been seriously let down, probably by a great many people in their lives, and possibly by very good people, people who did not intentionally let them down.
I often wonder how many people, and for how long, were letting down Dylan Harris and Eric Klebold before their evil turned itself onto their classmates and teachers?
We all bear a responsibility.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:38 PM

Quote:
I respectfully disagree with you Lord Ashtar
I think kids should be sheltered from that until they are older then at 13.
You think kids should be sheltered from their hormones?

How we got from a 13 yr old girl blowing a boy on a bus to kids shooting up a high school is beyond me...
Old 09-16-2003, 01:40 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I did not know what oral sex was at 13 years old.
Don't worry about it. Clinton didn't know either, and he was over 50.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:41 PM

Quote:
I often wonder how many people, and for how long, were letting down Dylan Harris and Eric Klebold before their evil turned itself onto their classmates and teachers?
Think about what you're saying. Do you really think Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold (those were their names by the way, not the other way around) were getting oral sex on the school bus? No way. If they had, there would have been no bullets flying at Columbine.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:43 PM

Y'know, good ol' U. Terus.

I slay me.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by lieu
Actually, lieu it's Arcadia University now.

I kid you not.

DoperChic
Old 09-16-2003, 01:47 PM

Quote:
You think kids should be sheltered from their hormones?
I think kids should be taught to keep their hormones in check. 13 year olds have no business having sexual relations. And I feel bad that they have to be taught about things at such an early age. I think it should come from their parents and not the media.

I have a 13 year old and we have discussed sex and protection. I have not gone into details about oral sex. I don't think it is necessary at 13.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:50 PM
BANNED

If the roads in Beaver County are as bumpy as the ones where I went to school, these kids are lucky no one went home with naughty bits in a Baggie.

I suppose Mom would have sued the school over that too.
Old 09-16-2003, 01:53 PM

Not to make it personal Isabelle, but wasn't one of your children sexually active at 15? Did he go from knowing nothing at 13 to having sex at 15?
Old 09-16-2003, 01:57 PM

Quote:
I don't know about anyone else, but I did not know what oral sex was at 13 years old. I certainly didn't even have sex on the brain. These kids today are learning stuff at such an early age. I am shocked! What troubles me is where the kids got this idea and the nerve to act on it? I remember when on cable tv you never saw anyone have sex Now it not only implies raw sex but often S&M, Oral sex, Rape and so much more.

I think they should be suspended but should not be free to not attend school for the rest of the year. Perhaps their county has an "alternative" school.
I knew what oral sex was when I was thirteen. (For the record that was 14 years ago) I also knew that oral sex was something I wasn't ready for, and something I wasn't interested in doing. I was also fully aware of what sex was, what it meant, and the difference between sex and "making love". This isn't a "nowadays" problem. I heard about a girl in my school that gave a boy a blow job in the 7th grade in the school library. It's not that kids don't know it's "wrong". We all called that girl a slut. I'd bet that some of the kids who knew that couple felt the same way.

What rock do you want kids these days to live under? Granted it shows very poor judgement on the kids in question, but what do their parents have to do with it? Some of the kids I knew in high school who were afforded EVERY opportunity in life were some of the worst behaved people I've ever met. Having sex, taking drugs, getting drunk when they were just a year or so older than these kids. It doesn't make it right, but you can't assume the worst about the parents. Sometimes kids will do everything you tell them not to do.

~J
Old 09-16-2003, 01:58 PM

I think only the 17 year old has had sex. The other young kids haven't (to the best of my knowledge)
Old 09-16-2003, 02:00 PM

Quote:
I have a 13 year old and we have discussed sex and protection. I have not gone into details about oral sex. I don't think it is necessary at 13.
You might not think it's necessary. Her peers might not care one way or the other. Thinking that the only place kids learn about sexuality is either from school, parents or the "media" is missing the most obvious source completely. She will figure it out, so if you really think it's going to make a difference then you might want to be the one to tell her.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:02 PM

Boy did I go to the wrong middle school.

For the record, I'm 14 and I've known about oral sex since I was about 7 or 8 IIRC. By sheltering your children, you're stunting their developement.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:05 PM
Charter Member

Better that they're having oral sex than unprotected vaginal sex. Better that they're having any sort of sex than plotting to kill their enemies.

We continually deny sexuality in this country of prudes and repressed hormones, while sending our kids off to see Terminator 6. What do we covet? That which we see every day. Violence is not a natural impulse. Sex is. Deny the natural impulses and reap the unnatural.

So a couple of horny teenagers gave and got. Perhaps the bus was not the best choice of venue, but what harm has been done? I suspect the real harm is to the sensibilities of fundie prudes to whom sex is a joyless, furtive exercise concluded in a darkened room for the purpose of procreation only.

Go ahead, blast away.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:07 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by DoperChic
Actually, lieu it's Arcadia University now.

I kid you not.

DoperChic
I love the timeline for Beaver College:
Quote:
1865: Name changed to “Beaver Female Seminary and Musical Institute”.
I can see them thinking: "Yes! That's much better! No one will laugh at us now!"
Old 09-16-2003, 02:09 PM

Well, you are certainly entitled to your opinion, Isabelle. But when your 13 year old son starts to notice that girls are taking on a different shape than him and that it makes a part of him take on a different shape, I'm sure he would figure it out whether or not you talk to them about it.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:12 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Chefguy
Better that they're having oral sex than unprotected vaginal sex. Better that they're having any sort of sex than plotting to kill their enemies.

We continually deny sexuality in this country of prudes and repressed hormones, while sending our kids off to see Terminator 6. What do we covet? That which we see every day. Violence is not a natural impulse. Sex is. Deny the natural impulses and reap the unnatural.

So a couple of horny teenagers gave and got. Perhaps the bus was not the best choice of venue, but what harm has been done? I suspect the real harm is to the sensibilities of fundie prudes to whom sex is a joyless, furtive exercise concluded in a darkened room for the purpose of procreation only.

Go ahead, blast away.
Chefguy for President!
Old 09-16-2003, 02:15 PM

I remember being pressured to show my panties and more on the bus when I was 6 years old. The boys would pay you a quarter if you did. My best friend talked me into it, and then yelled at me when I chickened out.

Our district only bussed until age 10, and by that time, there was a whole lot more than just panty-showing going on in the back of the bus, and if you didn't want to be a part of it, you sat further to the front.

By the age of 13, I certainly did know what oral sex was. My guess is that I was about 9 or 10 when I figured that out, by reading books. My mother believed that kids should read anything that interested them, so I was reading Stephen King and JRR Tolkien and anything else that my hands happened to come across, including some of the more steamy romance novels.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:16 PM

Well, now, Chefguy, I wouldn't go that far. Although I will admit to being a tad conservative in such matters, I'm by no stretch of the imagination a fundie prude.

I will say if you're going to engage in oral sex the least a couple can do is to do so in private.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:18 PM

I blame the schools.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:18 PM

I knew what oral sex was by 13. Knowing about it and doing it are 2 different things. Knowledge=good. Knowing about something does not mean kids are going to go out and do it.

IMO, the more discussion and good information kids have about sex, the better. By 13 many girls are sexually mature and physically able to get pregnant. 13 year old boys are thinking about it nonstop anyway, so they may as well be well-informed about it.

Repressing information about sex is not the way to prevent kids from acting out sexually, or to keep them 'innocent.' I think keeping kids 'innocent' has gotten over-hyped to the point where people think we should withold basic information from kids. That is not innocence, that is ignorance.

That said, these kids were obviously acting inappropriately and the girl's mother is an idiot. I would be very concerned if I had a child who did this, but not because they knew what oral sex was.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:28 PM

The head on the girl goes up and down
Up and down
Up and down
All around the town
Old 09-16-2003, 02:31 PM

Lord Ashtar the more I think about it the more I don't know how to bring up the subject of oral sex with my son. I bet he already knows about it. Afterall he has 3 older brothers. I think it should come from me but I don't know how to even start the conversation. THis is going to take some thought.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:34 PM

Anyone who has left Pittsburgh Airport via Route 60 can attest to this. You are given two choices when exiting the airport. One choice is Beaver, the other choice is Moon.
Old 09-16-2003, 02:36 PM

Up and down
Up and down
All around the town