Why Do Some Adult Women Have 'Little-Girl' Voices?

Why do some adult women have voices that make them sound as if they were six years old?

I recently called a local business here, and the person who picked up the phone sounded this way. I almost asked her ‘Could you please hand the phone over to your mommy or daddy?’. But she seemed too knowledgeable to be six years old, so I continued the conversation, even though I felt like I was talking to Cindy Brady.

When I visited this place, I met this woman and she appeared to be in her fifties.

I never known any men whose voices sound child-like, but I’ve known a few women with the Victoria Jackson-style little-girl voice.

What causes this? Is it being done deliberately for attention?? Did something traumatic happen to them at a young age, causing them to become emotionally ‘stuck’ at that age???

Thanks.

If you find out, and there’s a cure, please tell me so I can put some in the Pwincess Pwecious’ cornflakes, in the next cubicle at work . . .

Eve, do you and I work together? I have exactly the same problem. The woman next to me acts and sounds like a hyperactive three year old. She thinks it’s endearing. Everyone else wants to kill her.

As a child, I had always associated the raspy, throaty timbre of lifetime smokers with grownups.
Eventually I realized that the voice associated with adults in my mind was actually a “smoker” voice.

Because of this, there was a time when an older person who had never smoked would have sounded like a child to my ears.

I’m certain that you are referring to more strident voices, but I present this as a possible contributing factor.

I have a voice that has been likened to that of ‘Karen, you know, from Will & Grace’. That makes me sad. However, I sing Descant/Soprano, so I don’t much care.

Well, I think some (probably minority) of them just have naturally soft voices. IMHO the others think, consciously or subconsciously, that it’ll cause people (esp. men) to want to take care of them. The way to tell which is which would be to get them really mad. The naturally soft-voiced ones would be yelling at you in a soft voice, while the fakers would give it their all.

I’ve heard this referred to as the “I’ve been molested” voice. I have zero idea how accurate that is, but the two women I’ve personally known who sound like five-year-olds on the phone have both been through horrific physical and sexual abuse, both by their respective fathers.

~Mixie

I have to admit that I find these voices fairly trying, although I’ve learned that once I learn about and like the person I can overcome this prejudice. It would seem likely that it’s a genetic trait, just like a very small fraction of men have very deep voices (Barry White, Isaac Hayes leap to mind).

On a side note, the woman from the Glad commercials who might epitomise this more than any other is getting a role on an NBC fall series called “Happy Family”, starring John Laroquette (who has a very nice, deep voice). She play’s his daughter, so I guess the TV Sitcom has shot down my genetic theory.

I’ve heard the same. Obviously there are going to be a lot of exceptions, but it can be a sign of molestation or abuse or other trauma at a young age.

It’s possible some of us are born that way.

I smoke, so it’s not as pronounced as it used to be. My ex used to call me “sqeaker”. Dumb fucker. (Heh. It’s funny to hear a high-pitched voice say “dumb fucker.”)

My vote for most annoying famous example of this is Melanie Griffith, who’s fingernails on a blackboard for me in oh, so many ways.

I suppose a woman who is very short would also have a short neck and therefore short vocal cords.

Short vocal cords would vibrate at a higher frequency, so the voice produced would have a higher pitch.

But, then again, I know plenty of short women who speak normally and don’t sound like a six-year-old.

My girlfriend has a bit of a “little girl voice”. Fortunately, it’s not abraisive like Victoria Jackson. I’d say it’s closer to Reece Witherspoon’s or “Charlote” from Sex in the City’s voice.

I’ve noticed it gets more pronounced when shes tired or if she wants something that she thinks I might not approve of.
Her - “um…did you say you wanted to stop for some ice cream?”
Me - “:confused: wha?..no, not really…”
Her -"…"
Me - “Do YOU want ice cream?”
Her - “OK!”:smiley:

I think it’s pretty much the way her voice is. We sat down one time to help her develop a “serious voice” for work but it just ended up sounding like a little girl doing a deep voice.

AFAIK, she never had anything really traumatic happen to her as a child (although in her mind having pigeons, geese, ducks and other non-predatory birds fly near her is “traumatic”, but I digress).

I’m not that crazy about “little girl voices” but I guess it’s better than the Smoking Boivier Sisters voice, the Too Deep for her Head Tomboy voice like Julia Styles or the redhead from That 70’s Show or the Shrill Nagging Shrew voice like the other 70;s show chick.

“Too Deep for her Head Tomboy voice like Julia Styles…”
I will retract this statement and replace it with “Man-Tones” voice

As Kalhoun indicated there are women (large and small) who simply have that high pitched “girly” tone to their voice. Some accentuate it, and for some it’s a trial e.g "I know I sound Like a Smurf! It’s my voice, SO FUCK YOU!! (this was a real life exchange overheard between a 30ish woman and man at a bar)

I have a high-pitched voice. I try to lower it on the phone, but even so, a few days ago I answered the phone and was asked if my parents were home. I’m 27!!! BITE ME, BITCH!!!

I’ve known a few women with deeper speaking voices who sing high soprano; I don’t think there’s necessarily a correlation. I sing high soprano myself, though.

Jennifer Tilly comes to mind…

Joey Lauren Adams & Rosie Perez, too.

How 'bout that little woman from that movie where the little girl gets sucked into the tv? Whoa! She’s got Elfen Voice!

When I answer the phone, I always get asked if my mom or dad is there. it use to piss me off.

Person on phone: “Is your mom home?”
Me: “Probably, why don’t you call her and find out?”

P.O.P: “Is your mom there?”
Me: “God, I hope not. I moved across the state to get away from her”

P.O.P: “Can I talk to your mom?”
Me: “You can try, but the nursing home gets mad if you call while they’re eating.”