The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 09-22-2003, 07:31 AM

How soon after starting intercouse can a penis leak semen?

Question asked by a collegue:
(Yes, really!)

He's worried his wife - who had their first baby 7 months ago - is pregnant again.

He's been withdrawing instead of using proper contraceptives and thinks there may have been pre-orgasmic leakage, but can't tell.

How likely is it that he's impregnated his wife again?
Advertisements  
Old 09-22-2003, 07:35 AM

Before intercourse. Shortly after an erection.
Old 09-22-2003, 07:53 AM

All the time, every time??
Old 09-22-2003, 08:02 AM
Charter Member

http://www.med.umich.edu/1libr/womens/contra09.htm#dis

Or, perhaps a better explanation of the problem with the withdrawal method:

http://www.sexhealth.org/birthcontrol/withdrawal.shtml

As to whether it happens "all the time, every time", I don't know, but assuming he's a healthy male, the likelihood of sperm being present is likely high.
Old 09-22-2003, 08:03 AM

It can happen right away without an ejaculation. Small amounts of sperm can get out, especially if the man is very aroused. It varies in different men, but one can pull out and think they are fine, when in fact they have just impregnated their significant other with out even knowing it. It is not a fool proof contraceptive method by any stretch of the imagination.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:01 AM

A grown man is using withdrawal as birth control? Neither he nor his wife have a clue that this just might not be the most effective method? The mind boggles.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:07 AM

Quote:
A grown man is using withdrawal as birth control? Neither he nor his wife have a clue that this just might not be the most effective method? The mind boggles.
This is one of the methods they are teaching in the high school as a method of birth control. The one that REALLY pissed me off was when they told the guys that if they didn't have a condom that they could use saran wrap.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:20 AM

Let's just call acknowledge the presence of the 800-pound gorilla in this thread and call it by its name: Catholicism strike again!
Old 09-22-2003, 09:22 AM
Charter Member

Semen can escape the penis at almost any time, with or without an erection.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by acsenray
Semen can escape the penis at almost any time, with or without an erection.
In my mind I can hear the theme from Mission Impossible and the clank of grappling hooks.

Isabelle, I'm astonished that any high school would teach such rubbish. Do you have a cite? I'm certain this is something an R.C. high school would not teach though.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Isabelle
This is one of the methods they are teaching in the high school as a method of birth control. The one that REALLY pissed me off was when they told the guys that if they didn't have a condom that they could use saran wrap.
Welcome back to the "dark ages." I used to teach Human Sexuality at a community college in Iowa, and it blew my mind how ignorant so many of the young adults were. Now I understand why.

Coitus interruptus is NEVER considered birth control. It's what kids and young adults use when they are in denial and think "it can't happen to me."

And ignore Padeye's sarcasm. He's in one of his moods this morning.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:40 AM

R.C. catecism I was 15 getting ready to be confirmed when a Nun informed the class that a woman could get pregnant through her jeans whilst heavy petting.... I sh*t you not.

Sorry my cite is dead, this was 18 years ago. This was also the nun who showed the class late term abortion videos....

And my people wonder why Phlosphr never set foot in a catholic church again...:shruggs:
Old 09-22-2003, 09:41 AM

Err. that should read..."And Many people wonder why Phlosphr........"
Old 09-22-2003, 09:46 AM

Isabelle, I highly doubt any school is teaching withdrawal as a valid birth-control method. If some renegade (read: stupid) teacher is throwing that in his curriculum, you should report him to your board of education IMMEDIATELY.

But it is true that one can use plastic wrap as a barrier. Definitely not perfect and definitely not recommended; but if two crazy kids are determined to go at it and discover they just ran out of condoms and the choice is either nothing at all or plastic wrap, then use the plastic wrap. I would imagine that's what schools might be saying. I doubt they are presenting plastic wrap in the same breath as the pill, IUD, Norplant, etc.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:48 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Evil Captor
Let's just call acknowledge the presence of the 800-pound gorilla in this thread and call it by its name: Catholicism strike again!
Nope, let`s just assume that they abort all their unwanted pregnancies, - I mean, really, what kind of response is that?
Old 09-22-2003, 10:25 AM

My H.S teacher taught about withdrawal. She said it was ineffective, blah, blah, blah. BUT if you must use that method (which really sucks) here's the theory. Her thoughts were it's better to be informed, and know it doesn't work, than not know anything at all.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:29 AM

We were taught half a dozen methods, including, yes, absolutely nothing, withdrawal and rhythm. The point was, we were given the yearly percentage failure rates of each (though I never found out how many times those figures assumed we would have sex each year...)

It's quite frightening how high some of those were.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 AM

What do they call people who use coitus interruptus as birth control? Parents.

Favorite line from Hill Street Blues:
Cop: What's your name?
Skel: Curtis.
Cop: Curtis what?
Skel: Curtis Interruptus.
Old 09-22-2003, 01:10 PM

Some married couples use this method if they know they won't be completely devastated if a pregnancy were to occur. Kind of like "not trying" but not really not trying, kwim? lol They say without any form of BC a fertile couple is almost guaranteed to conceive within a year, and with coitus interruptus it's a little longer...a few years maybe.But I always under the impression that most "accidents" happened when the male miscalculated his "urge" not from "leaking semen".
Old 09-22-2003, 01:36 PM
Ogministrator

Evil Captor, your post is inappropriate for GQ. Please do not do this again.

You have been warned.

-xash
General Questions Moderator
Old 09-22-2003, 09:08 PM
Charter Member

A penis is like a basketball player - it always dribbles before it shoots.
Old 09-22-2003, 09:13 PM

I know mine leaks like a sonofabitch about ten-fifteen minutes into the act.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Northern Piper
A penis is like a basketball player - it always dribbles before it shoots.

My high school sex ed teacher, who was about 60 and looked very grandfatherly, said the same thing.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:29 PM

Big, Big, Caveat- I say all this out of genuine curiosity and not to endorse or encourage risky behaviors.

With all due respect to any medical or healthcare professionals who may have previously posted to this thread, I wonder if someone could post a cite that documents the likelihood of a woman becoming pregnant strictly from pre-ejaculate? After all, It is one thing to say that the withdrawl method has a "failure rate" of X, another to document the reason why the method "failed".

I was under the impression that a man with proper control stands very little chance of impregnating a woman if the penis is retracted prior to ejaculation.

IIRC, The main source of pre-ejaculate, or "pre-come" is the Cowper's gland, which produces an alkaline fluid that is supposed to buffer the urethra and does not have any direct source of sperm cells.

If the man urinates one or more times prior to intercourse, there are likely relatively few viable sperm cells in the urethra to begin with.

Again, IIRC, the urethra's junction with the Cowper's gland is inferior to the junction with the seminal vesicles, I just don't see how the pre-ejaculate can be "rich in sperm cells" as reported in the link Lsura provided (below)

Quote:
Another reason that this method can fail is because the clear liquid discharged from the Cowper’s gland before ejaculation is rich with sperm cells. Since it is difficult to tell if this pre-ejaculate is leaking out of the penis, the withdrawal method is deceptively unsafe.
Any cites or MDs or health professionals that have the straight dope on sperm cell densities in pre-ejaculate fluid?
Old 09-22-2003, 10:46 PM
Charter Member

For the record, by the way, the only method of birth control condoned by the Roman Catholic Church is "Natural Family Planning", which is a variant on the rhythm method with temperature readings and the like added to help predict ovulation. The Church does not promote use of the withdrawal method. Whether this is because of moral objections or because of the dismal success rate of that method, I don't know.
Old 09-22-2003, 10:57 PM
Charter Member

And as it's recently been shown that (some) women ovulate more than once a month, presumably that method is just as worthless.

http://archive.newscientist.com/secu...mg17924041.600

You have to be a new Scientist subscriber to view above link, but for example "During the six weeks, 50 [of the 63] women ovulated once, as expected, and seven did not ovulate at all. But the most surprising finding was that six ovulated twice in the space of a month, on two separate days.".
Old 09-23-2003, 08:25 AM

I just did a google search for "coitus interruptus" and hardly any of what I read was consistent. One link said it can cause sexual dysfunction in the male after using it for an extended period of time, other sites claimed there are no health risks at all. One site said 60% failure rate (but is that from pre-ejaculate fluid only or from an "oops--didn't pull out quick enough"?) and another site had a different statistic altogether.

Like Stan Doubt I would also like to know how many woman are getting pregnant from pre-ejaculate "dew" (as it's been referred to). Some sites I went to warned that the male ejaculating anywhere near the vagina could result in pregnancy, and that women doing this are advised to "wash thoroughly" immediately after intercourse. I wonder what the the chances of non-deposited sperm actually entering the vagina and fertilizing an egg are?
Old 09-23-2003, 10:43 AM

I don't know what the chances are, but that's where my one and a half year old girl came from. My wife and I are both healthy people aged 25 and we have been having unprotected sex for about a 2 years and have just the one to show for it. We normally have sex daily so that's about 1/650-700
Old 09-23-2003, 11:07 AM

He's going to be raising two kids...and doesn't know his penis leaks? Doesn't know the rhythm method isn't working?

Oh brother.
Old 09-23-2003, 11:28 AM
Charter Member

Stan, it would be difficult to give statistics on how many pregnancies result from the pre-orgasmic semen leakage because all the data would have to be derived from reporting from the patients (which frankly in this area would be very unreliable). I don't think anyone is volunteering to be monitored and cammed to see whether non-orgasmic (from the male point of view) intercourse is truly occuring or not.

Likewise statistics on the presence or absence of sperm in the pre-ejaculate secretions: No widespread studies have been done to see how recently an actual ejaculation was necessary to have sperm present in the secretions; likewise how many bladder voidings were needed to 'clean out' said sperm.

Nor do we have good data on just how many men really do have 'good control'.

But we do have incidental data that shows significant concentration of sperm in some samples of pre-ejaculate, present in large enough numbers to be believed capable of causing conception. We also have data that shows that the withdrawal method is poorly effective as a means of contraception.

So I frankly feel it is quite legitimate at this point to recommend against said method, without feeling the need to try to exactly quantify the risks per incident per specific user.

QtM, MD