Candy for Ukulele Ike - Get Yer Book Suggestions Here

All right, let’s see if I can get on one more shitlist today. Uke’s gonna wander in here shortly and recommend a book for anyone who asks.

[Edited by UncleBeer on 08-29-2001 at 10:46 AM]

Heeheehee. I’m gonna get in on this one. Hook me up, Uke! Let’s see what you can do with the limited amount of info you have to work with here. BTW, John McPhee is out, 'cause I’ve already read all his books.

The difference between the right word and the almost right word is the difference between the lightning and the lightning bug.
Mark Twain

Assuming Uke does wander in, I’m always on the lookout for a good book recommendation. Uke, how about something vaguely nautical?

OK, for my light summer reading, I need a few crime novels. Agatha Christie, Conan Doyle, P.D. James, Ruth Rendell, Elmore Leonard, Tony Hillerman, Sue Grafton are all out (I’ve read several books by each author, all the books in some cases.)

I want a new detective whose career I can follow throughout several novels!

I’m in. Got a book for me, Uke?

OH yeah! we be books! I’ll take one please :slight_smile:

I was sad because I had no shoes, until I saw a snake with no legs.

• A Wally original.

Maybe some leather S and M erotica?

I’ve been a very naughty boy.

P.S. Bonus points if it has pictures.

You say “cheesy” like that’s a BAD thing.

I, myself, am looking for a light author as an antidote to the very heavy literature I have been reading the last few years–most recently, a lot of Chaucer and Melville. A whole lot of Melville. But, this English degree I have paid so dearly for has all but robbed me of the ability to read bad writting–I cringe at authors I loved before. So who out there is a light read without an amature style?

Booyah. Book me Uke!

Har! Here’s another request, Ike. Nothin’ by Faulkner, though. Been there, am livin’ that.

The ride is short and the thrills are cheap- Men and rollercoasters. - - -Courtesy of Wally, that Signifying Guy.

Whatuvya got along the lines of “Philosophy for Dummies”?

Arnold Winkelreid.

I am not Ukulele Ike but I can give you a suggestion for a trilogy you might enjoy.

Gorky Park.
Polar Star.
Red Square.
all my Martin Cruz-Smith.

great trilogy following Detective Arkady Renko who is one of my all time favorite fictional characters.

Ukulele Ike:
You opend your mouth and look what you got.
Better you than I.

Oh your from Wales?? Do you know a fella named Jonah?? He used to live in whales for a while.

Manda JO–P.G. Wodehouse, S.J. Perelman, and perhaps Kingsley Amis would fit your needs.

Wodehouse would be my first choice for light reading–delicate truffles of writing. You can overdose (he suggested no more than one or two short stories of his a day), but they’re a delight!

Bucky

Ike…give it to me, Baby.

You KNOW you want to.

trisha

<uttered in appallingly polite tones>

Mayhap you could recommend something on, oh say, hobbies and leisure pursuits? Possibly a small press offering geared toward mental health workers.

Veb

No pictures, but have you read the Beauty trilogy by Anne Rice?

I do not merely dance. I bewitch. I seduce. I enchant and I bewilder. Throw money.
(Gee, Wally must have seen me dance!)

[Edited by UncleBeer on 08-29-2001 at 10:51 AM]

Oh, UncleBeer…this is TOO nice of you!

No shit…this makes me feel like Santa on Christmas morning! Let’s see what I have in my bag for all the good little boys and girls…

First…COAL AND SWITCHES for Osip and Bucky. Bugger off, you two. This is MY thread.

Geobabe: You remind me of my good friend John from my college days. He was an earnest literature major before he snapped and switched to geology in his junior year. Before he turned to rocks, he liked to settle in with a good depressing Russian novel. So it’s The Brothers Karamazov for you!

Lord Derfel: For the finest in nautical reading, I favor the novels of Commander Edward Ellsberg, the great naval salvage man. His 30 Fathoms Deep (1930) is one of the best diving novels I read as a lad.

Arnold W: A man with such a taste for the classics (except for Sue Grafton. Ewwwww.) must have read the Nero Wolfe series by Rex Stout, right? And the Father Brown stories by G.K. Chesterton? If so, look for the brilliant western Pa. regional crime novels of K.C. Constantine, the greatest crime novelist no one’s heard of. Blood Mud is the most recent.

Falcon: No hints? Okay, for you, James Thurber’s My World and Welcome To It.

B_Line12: For YOU, the recently reprinted Roland Huntford nonfiction thriller of Polar Exploration, The Last Place on Earth. A classic, and deservedly so,.

Sealemon: You want S&M? Have you read Anne Rice’s “Beauty” trilogy? Bondage and paddlings galore, and both the sexes get equal time! If you want pictures, get a subscription to JANUS magazine.

Manda Jo: Yeah, P.G. Wodehouse is an excellent choice. And everyone here will second my recommendation of Terry Pratchett. Ronald Firbank is also light and airy and whimsical a British…New Directions has his Five Novels in print.

Mullinator: For my good buddy, only the best: Mikhail Bulgakov’s The Master and Margarita. It’ll change your f*cking life, man. You’ll be running naked through the streets of Moscow. (The Devil hisself is the hero.)

Elelle: Try Joe R. Lansdale. It’s Southern Gothic (well, East Texas Gothic) but with enough bizarre humor to make Faulkner roll in his grave.

Pluto: “Philosophy for Dummies” ? I have JUST the thing for you: R. Rust Hills; How to Do Things Right: The Revelations of a Fussy Man. I’m also reading G.K. Chesterton’s life of St. Francis, and recommend that as well…

Jazzmine: Robert McCloskey; Make Way for Ducklings. Hee hee hee…

TVeblen: First, you have to get me a hobby. But if you really want a lovely tale of madness, try John Franklin Bardin; Devil Take the Blue Tail Fly. The story of an insane felmale harpsichordist. Talk about redundancy.

Okay, who’s next? (No shit, Unc, I owe you a CASE of Labatts for this one…)

Uke

zyada, EXTRA switches for you (pun intended) for beating me (pun not intended)to that recommendation.

You know how long it took me to type that shit up?

Hey Ike. What do you have along the lines of Lord Dunsany?

“My mind reels with sarcastic replies!” - Snoopy

Hey, Uke. Can you hook me up? I’m looking for something that make you think, but not too hard. :stuck_out_tongue:

Just kidding. Actually, something either off the wall, or that makes you think.

Thanks!

-Pix

My classes are optional. So is graduating.
(Certifiable WallyM7Sig)

Homepage: www.lightwave.com
Interests: Illuminescence, Phosphorescence and Florescence
(Profile by UncleBeer)