The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 09-30-2003, 12:25 AM

I HATE fall.

I hate autumn. I HATE it. I hate the pretty leaves, the unbelievably blue sky, the hazy afternoons, the way you can hear noises far away as though they were close by (one of the loneliest sounds in the world), I hate the cool evenings, I hate the crisp mornings, I HATE IT ALL.

How could anyone possibly hate this beautiful time of year?

Because it reminds me of being young and beautiful and unemployed (purposely) and single and somewhat blissfully ignorant and in college and in love. I am no longer any of those things, nor will I ever be again.

Skipping class with your man-of-the-moment, taking off into the hazy afternoon for a ride or a walk or impromptu road trip. Sitting in a park or an intramural field, just happy to be outdoors and alive and with the person you are with.

Going out at night on a date with someone new, letting the blessedly cool evening air give you both an excuse to get close to each other. Attending outdoor parties and bonfires, sneaking away into the shadows for a few moments, feeling someone else's lips and breath intermingling with your own for the first time. Finally getting away a bit further, finally alone, feeling the rush of cool air and warm breath on your skin as you reveal yourselves to each other.

Feeling the wonder and anticipation of the future, and thinking about what life-shaping surprises the next few years will hold. See, at that point in your life, you're still thinking they might be good surprises.

It's all gone. Those moments are all gone forever.

And so, I hate fall.

Dammit.
Advertisements  
Old 09-30-2003, 01:10 AM

I like autumn. It's so fantastically bleak. So screw you, I guess. Your sentimentality is irritating. And your willingness to advertise it will be your downfall. Downfall, I say!
Old 09-30-2003, 06:03 AM
BANNED

Winter sucks pretty bad too.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:07 AM

I hate fall for the fact that it's going to be 55 and raining today.

Screw you guys, I'm going home. To Florida.
Old 09-30-2003, 06:14 AM

Just make sure you get ahead of that LOOOOOONNNNNNNNG line of motor homes. See you in the Spring?
Old 09-30-2003, 07:34 AM

Fall has always made me feel a bit melancholy. That's part of the many reasons why I like it. I'm just kinda perverse that way. I also like really heavy blizzards, too.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:08 AM

Fall doesn't do it for me, but not for the reasons the OP gave. I just think it's depressing. Everything's dying, the weather's getting colder, and worst of all, the days are getting shorter. It's the ultimate memento mori. I don't hate it like I hate Winter, though.

Quote:
Originally posted by bwk (italics mine)
Because it reminds me of being young and beautiful and unemployed (purposely) and single and somewhat blissfully ignorant and in college and in love. I am no longer any of those things, nor will I ever be again.

Skipping class with your man-of-the-moment, taking off into the hazy afternoon for a ride or a walk or impromptu road trip. Sitting in a park or an intramural field, just happy to be outdoors and alive and with the person you are with.

Going out at night on a date with someone new, letting the blessedly cool evening air give you both an excuse to get close to each other. Attending outdoor parties and bonfires, sneaking away into the shadows for a few moments, feeling someone else's lips and breath intermingling with your own for the first time. Finally getting away a bit further, finally alone, feeling the rush of cool air and warm breath on your skin as you reveal yourselves to each other.
I'm sensing dissatisfaction with a long-term relationship here. Or at least a desire for more romantic variety. Have you talked to your partner about it? Maybe there's something you can do to spice things up a bit?

Quote:
Originally posted by SanibelMan

You know what I'd never do if I were from Sanibel? Move to St Louis!!! What're you, crazy man?
Old 09-30-2003, 08:20 AM

I really hate fall.

The young chick on the corner waiting for the school bus every morning has started wearing clothes to keep warm.

was that out loud?
Old 09-30-2003, 09:06 AM

At least you all got fall. I noticed the leaves were turning red yesterday, and then this morning I went outside and had half an inch of ice on my car.

Stupid winter.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:28 AM
Charter Member

Fall is my favorite time of year! It gets pretty dang hot down here in Southern Texas. So the cool weather is a precious thing! Today we woke up to 58 degrees, and they project a high of 82. Heaven, I tell ya!
Old 09-30-2003, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SanibelMan

See ya later, then, Sanibel! Really, fall in St. Louis is the only reason we stick around through the miserable summers, isn't it? Sept.-Dec. are absolutely my favorite months of the year. January and February can eat monkey smegma and die.
Old 09-30-2003, 09:59 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Dolores Claiborne
Fall is my favorite time of year! It gets pretty dang hot down here in Southern Texas. So the cool weather is a precious thing! Today we woke up to 58 degrees, and they project a high of 82. Heaven, I tell ya!
My sentiments exactly. The cool weather of Spring here in north Texas is nice but it's not as much fun as Fall since we have to dodge tornados and hail storms.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:09 AM

... and bosums in sweaters. Don't forget dodging bosums in sweaters.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:11 AM

I'm looking forward to retiring my lawn mowers for a few months.
Old 09-30-2003, 10:18 AM

Yeah, shouldn't they save their energy for kindergarden?
Old 09-30-2003, 10:18 AM

Old 09-30-2003, 10:40 AM

Old 09-30-2003, 10:58 AM

Ah, they're 1920's style "Death Kindergartners".
Old 09-30-2003, 11:13 AM
Charter Member

I hate fall (and even Autumn).

It rains all the time
It starts getting chilly, and it gets chillier and chillier until it's winter.

I hate winter even more...
Old 09-30-2003, 04:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by county
Winter sucks pretty bad too.
Gee, I've never had any complaints before!
Old 09-30-2003, 05:02 PM
Uncharted
Charter Member

I like fall, except it means having to deal with the idiot drivers who seem to have no idea what all the falling brown, gold, and red things are.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:20 PM

I hate fall because it's not summer.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:44 PM
BANNED

[Nelson]

Ha HA

[/Nelson]

I'm okay with Fall. I LOVE Winter.

Maybe it's just because I'm young.
Old 09-30-2003, 05:47 PM

I lived in New Orleans so long that I'm shocked just to HAVE Fall. I still don't think it should be cold in September...
Old 09-30-2003, 07:43 PM
BANNED

As much as I hate winter, I hate fall even more because of the inexorable decline of everything--things die, less daylight, and colder temperatures. At least with winter, there is some hope--days start to lengthen again after the solstice, and temps bottom out sometime in January (where I live) and then creep upward again until Spring. Fall is just downhill all the way.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:07 PM

bosums in sweaters????

Dude, bosums in Tank Tops are so way better.

1 word. Cleavage.

Besides, in fall the sunlight goes and everything starts dying. Yeah, that's cheery.

I'm for Spring myself.
Old 09-30-2003, 08:41 PM

Fall marks the start of the ice climbing season. That puts it at the top of my list.

-Apoptosis
Old 09-30-2003, 10:16 PM

I love fall. It means horrible, miserable sunburn-inducing, sweating hot allergy suffering summer is finally over.
Old 09-30-2003, 11:15 PM

I love Autumn. I have to agree though that those were the days. It's nice to reminisce.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:45 AM

Mmm, fall.

I can start buying milk in bags again, and it won't get hot enough in the apartment to spoil them in the refrigerator.

And knowing Montreal weather, we'll probably still have liveable temperatures until well into October. *touch wood*
Old 10-01-2003, 07:52 AM

And when you're married, you'll miss those long kisses goodnight at the door of her parents house.
Old 10-01-2003, 08:17 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by matt_mcl
Mmm, fall.

I can start buying milk in bags again, and it won't get hot enough in the apartment to spoil them in the refrigerator.

And knowing Montreal weather, we'll probably still have liveable temperatures until well into October. *touch wood*
Excuse me, but what??? Milk in bags...spoil them in the refrigerator...
Old 10-01-2003, 09:44 AM

I hate fall. Love autumn. Why do Americans have two words for it, anyway? I think I'll go to the shop and ask for a bag of milk...
Old 10-01-2003, 10:01 AM

Quote:
Shhhh...he's from Canada...they're kinda...funny...up there...don't make any sudden moves...
Old 10-01-2003, 10:02 AM

Dolores:

1) In addition to cartons, Canadians can buy their milk in plastic bags that they put in pitchers.

2) These bags come in larger bags, holding four litres' worth of small bags.

3) All this summer, I had to forego buying milk in bags because it was so hot in my apartment that the last bag of milk would always turn before I could use it.
Old 10-01-2003, 10:28 AM

Bosums in sweaters.

Milk in bags.

Got Fall?
Old 10-01-2003, 10:45 AM

Is there a difference between the milk in bags (hush, lieu) and milk in cartons? Different milk fat percentage? Non-homogenized?
Old 10-01-2003, 11:33 AM

Homebrew, I get the feeling that there's no difference in the milk itself, just the packaging. Bags presumably require less plastic to make, and even if they're not recycled they take up less room in landfills, so they're better for the environment. That was why our school system switched over to little bags instead of the little cartons. They came with special pointed straws to stab into them, like juice boxes. Of course, the size and texture combined to make you feel like you were drinking from a breast implant, but what you gonna do?

Anyway, I love fall. I love the colors, the way the air feels, everything. And I adore the memories it brings back. It reminds me of being a little girl and spending beautiful fall days with my grandma. We'd rake leaves from their huge old elm trees, and when we got done, I'd jump in the pile and let Grandma throw leaves over me till I was comlpletely buried. Then we'd clean up the mess we'd made and go in and bake cookies before the soap operas came on. And when we made peanut butter cookies, she'd let me mash the fork marks into the top.

Yes, that part of my life is gone and I'll never have it back, and in a few years my grandmother will probably be gone and I'll never have her back. And yes, I'm older and fatter now and I have a lot of responsibilities that I had never imagined then. I'll probably never roll around in a pile of leaves, thrashing and giggling again.

I suppose I could be bitter about the loss of that young, innocent, carefree time. It was, after all, a terribly happy time of my life. But if I had clung to that part, I would have missed the other parts that made me the person I am today, and I like myself and my life.
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:
Originally frothed by Lewis Black
Fuck fall, I hate the fall! "Oh, the leaves change color!" They change color for two minutes, then a big wind blows and all you got is sticks for the rest of the year!
Old 10-01-2003, 12:37 PM

Quote:
No, silly, Montreal is a refrigerator!
Old 10-01-2003, 02:00 PM

Homebrew: No, no difference.

aryk29: only after November, which is my problem :/
Old 10-01-2003, 04:27 PM

Heh, living in So Cal, I forget that it's autumn in the rest of the country. Still feels and looks like summer to me.
Old 10-01-2003, 04:41 PM
Charter Member

In addition to the shortening days and the impending cold, October has what has got to be the stupidest "holiday" of all: Halloween. A celebration about DEATH! Jeez, who thought that up?? So 364 days of the year we tell our kids to avoid excessive sweets, be polite and don't beg for treats, and above all, don't take candy from strangers. And on the 365th we tell them to go door-to-door and beg for candy from strangers, offering the veiled "trick or treat" threat of vandalism?

And why is it that if an animal is dying and turning unnatural colors, oozing red stuff, we find it disgusting (or at least sad), but when a plant does it, we say "Ooh, isn't that pretty?"
Old 10-01-2003, 04:43 PM
Charter Member

I hate it because it's the start of fucking STATIC ELECTRICTY!

Go to the car: zapzapzap!

Open the door to a building: zapzapzap!

Touch anything made of glass or metal (and how common could those materials be, right?): zapzapzap!

Arrrrrrrrgggghhhhhh!!!
Old 10-01-2003, 05:05 PM

Oh, static electricity isn't so bad. Until Dolly the Vicious Attack Hound starts rolling all over the carpet and then comes up to stick her cold wet nose on your bare foot. I have to wonder if I've somehow missed her demands to be called "Thor, Dog of Thunder."
Old 10-02-2003, 02:24 AM

Bugs are dying by the truckload.

That's good enough for me.
Old 10-02-2003, 08:25 AM
Charter Member

Thanks, Matt! You learn something every day...
Old 10-02-2003, 08:32 AM
Charter Member

For me, fall makes me want to wander - if it's getting cool, it must be time to move again. I think it comes from the haul back and forth to college every year for four years, followed by four moves in four years, each happening in the fall. My last move was August of 2002, so it really was still summer here, since it was 90-some awful degrees and humid as anything.

Beyond that, fall is my favorite time of year. The days still get warm enough to be outside, but the morning chill reminds you that summer really is over. Plus, I get to pull out my sweaters and such, but I don't need the heavy coat.

And I don't need AC or heat, so my electric bills go way down.