Just What I Needed - Car Was Rear-Ended Questions

As if today wasn’t bad enough!

On my way home, on the highway, I got rear-ended by a big white van, who hit my little green Saturn. Two cars in front of me came to a screeching halt on a slick road surface, I slowed down to avoid hitting the car in front of me and the van behind me hit me. I don’t think we were going any more than 20-30 mph.

We exchanged business cards, he was deeply apologetic. He even wants me to call tomorrow so he knows I’m ok. It doesn’t look like there’s any damage to my bumper, no cracks or anything (and it was dark and wet and it’s a dark green car). I’m not worried about the car, that’s why I have insurance.

I drove off, shaken, but apparently unharmed. Now (about 3 hours later, my neck and shoulder are stiff and hurt a bit. So do I go to the emergency room? Wait till morning and see how it feels? We’re not talking pain unto death here, just stiff and uncomfortable. If I wait, will my health insurance ask why I didn’t go right away and deny coverage? Anyone else go through this? How does it all end???

Any advice would be most appreciated!

Always report any accident to your insurance company within 24 hours. You don’t have to call the police if all parties are amicable, but it’s a good idea to do so if you’re the one who was rear-ended, as later on the absence of a police report makes it your word against his in court, should it come to that.

(IANAL).

A bit late for this accident …

If you are able to get up and walk around after an accident, write down the license plate and VIN number of the other vehicle(s). Write down everything from the drivers license of the other driver(s) as well. A business card is not a legal form of identification.

Also, carry one of those disposable film cameras in your vehicle at all times.

Don’t know how the police in MD handle it, but in California if there is no bodily injury the police will not come out to take a report (CHP will write a report if they come across the accident)

I know that insurance companies (and I think courts) will assume that in the absense of a citation issued to the driver of the car in front, the guy who did the rear-ending is at fault.

You might want to get checked out by a doctor. You’ll probably feel worse tomorrow, in my experience.

I was rear-ended last November and I’m still not recovered from the injury done to my back. After the accident, I had a slight headache, and my neck felt a little sore. By the next morning, I was in serious discomfort.

Unless you’re in a no-fault state, the damage to your car is not the responsibility of your insurance company - it’s the responsbility of his insurance company.

Also, if you make an injury claim, don’t sign any releases until you’re positive you’re ok. I’ve known people who have had neck/back problems months down the road but couldn’t recover damages because they’d already signed off.

You’ve hit the jackpot! IMMEDIATELY contact your lawyer, and see a doctor. I don’t know what state you live in, but here(in MA) once your medical bills surpass 2000.00,you can sue! AND-because you were rear-ended, the other party is AUTOMATICALLY at fault! This accident could be worth a lot of -but consult your lawyer-he can advise you on how mush $$ you can expect to collect!
AND-=DON’T SIGN ANYTHING (until your lawyer has advised you)!

Always see a doctor after an accident, right away if possible. If something crops up later, you’ll have a hell of a time trying to convince someone it was related to your accident.

I didn’t see a doctor until the next day after my accident. So far, my medical bills have been close to ten thousand dollars (thankfully covered for the most part by my medical insurance.)

Since it’s been almost a year, I finally decided I should probably speak to a lawyer to see what I should do next. (I have no intentions of suing. I just think after all this pain, I should get something.)

The lawyer told me I made a “big mistake” in not being transported by the waiting ambulance. He said now that the other driver’s insurance company is going to say I lied about being injured, especially since my MRI and x-rays don’t show anything broken.

It’s sort of upsetting. Just because I was honest about not needing to be rushed to the hospital, that makes me a liar about being hurt at all?

All I’m saying is that you might want to brace yourself for being treated like a malingering scumbag.