The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 11-18-2003, 08:34 AM

Okay, how do I get cat pee smell out of my car?

Yesterday, we took all three cats to the vet. The two kittens (Skittles and Pepsi) needed vaccinations, and Ace, our 8-year-old cat, had some sort of growth on the outside of his mouth (and also needed a distemper booster).

We couldnít get Ace to go into his plastic carrieróno surprise thereóso we put him in the cardboard one we used to bring the kittens home from the shelter. Big mistake. He really freaked out in the car and managed, with only intermittent clawing, to rip his way out of the carrier by the time we got there (about 10 minutes)*. Before clawing his way out, though, he urinated. I was holding the carrier, so of course my coat and jeans got peed on. Oh well, I thought, at least I was holding him on my lap, so I got all the pee on me. Wrong. I got in my car this morning, and apparently some of it got on the upholstery and/or carpet. So my question is how the heck do I get rid of the smell?

*He also was hyperventilating and had bugged out eyes that made him look like a pug by the time we got there. AND he bloodied his paws a little bit getting out of the carrier. I felt like the worst kitty mommy in history. Amazingly, though he was still mad at us at the vetís office (he turns his back to us when heís not happy; thatís how we can tell), he was pretty much okay the minute we got home, and he seems to have forgotten all about it. Plus the growth on his mouth is just a bacterial infection. Yay!
Old 11-18-2003, 08:50 AM

Nature's Miracle.
Old 11-18-2003, 11:02 AM

Also, you might try white vinegar. Pour it on the spot, wait a while, then clean the carpet.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:03 PM

This product works:

DR. Schneider's Odor Eliminator
1-888-239-2390 ask for Jennifer.
Old 11-18-2003, 01:21 PM

4 gal of gas, a flare-gun and a quick call to the insurance people.

Old 11-18-2003, 04:38 PM

Add another vote for Nature's Miracle.
Old 11-18-2003, 04:40 PM

Get the dog to pee in it.
Old 11-19-2003, 01:33 AM

You have a cat named Pepsi? Bizarre. Me too.

Sorry, other than the vinegar trick I have nothing else to offer.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:34 AM

The Natures Miracle works for us...so much so that we use it for our laundry (it's amazing what happens with 2 2-1/2 year olds an a three year old running the house). Actually there are other enzyme cleaners that work as well. Check your local pet supply store.

You may want to use a black light to figure out where the actual spots are. And don't try to use another cleaner before the enzyme cleaners, they will set the stain and make it harder to remove.
Old 11-19-2003, 08:15 AM

Thanks, everyone. The strangest thing happened yesterday. I left my windows down at work in the afternoon, and when I got in my car the smell was gone. Maybe it wasn't on the upholstery or carpet. Maybe some got on hard plastic and just evaporated. Or maybe the smell will come back when it warms up.

Either way, though, I'm gonna get me some of that Nature's Miracle stuff. I forgot about the vinegar trick; I haven't had a cat pee anywhere besides a litter box in a long time.

Horseflesh, because you also have a cat named Pepsi, you are now officially cool.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:16 AM

atmosklear

best stuff in the world! Got rid of smoke and dog smells in my car before I sold it, the buyer had no clue.

www.atmosklear.com