The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 11-22-2003, 09:41 PM

Tickets for parking the wrong way on a street.

In at least a couple states I know of, California, and here in Oregon, if you park on the side of the street, and have your car facing the wrong way, you'll get a ticket.
My question is, what harm or damage was caused by doing this, that caused law makers to pass a law against this?
Advertisements  
Old 11-22-2003, 09:53 PM
Luminary

Someone with a tenuous grip on reality could get confused by a vehicle parked facing the wrong way. Also, parking that way and merging back into traffic from such a position are extra-hazardous.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:20 PM

In Arkansas it's the law. Once when my family got back from vacation, my dad parked the Suburban on the wrong side of the street. Think very quiet, slow, residential neighborhood. Dad was too tired to park the right way or didn't think about it. Anyway the next day, sure enough, a cop came by and gave a ticket. Our neighbor was outside at the time and tried to talk the cop out of it, explaining that my dad was tired, etc. Gave the ticket anyway.

I blame the Small Town Cop Syndrome. They got nuthin' better to do.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:26 PM

Plus there is the fact that to get into that parking space (facing the wrong way) you had to have crossed the center line into the other lane and/or been travelling the wrong way down the street.

You have provided the proof yourself, by leaving your car parked in that position.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:31 PM
Charter Member

I've heard that in Hollywood people have been cited for having their tires turned the wrong way when parked on a hill.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:32 PM
Charter Member

Or for not having them turned at all.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:57 PM

Semi-related tidbit: In Germany when I stayed at my Oma's house I noticed cars were parked whichever way the owner felt like, so I assume it's legal there. Almost half of them on some roads were parked the 'other way'.
In Canada it's also illegal. It doesn't make much sense to me.
Old 11-22-2003, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by t-bonham@scc.net
Plus there is the fact that to get into that parking space (facing the wrong way) you had to have crossed the center line into the other lane and/or been travelling the wrong way down the street.

You have provided the proof yourself, by leaving your car parked in that position.
Well of course I'm talking about streets that don't have center lines.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:06 PM

Semi-related tidbit: In Germany when I stayed at my Oma's house I noticed cars were parked whichever way the owner felt like, so I assume it's legal there. Almost half of them on some roads were parked the 'other way'.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:18 PM

Old 11-22-2003, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
All streets have center lines.

It's just that some have them marked with paint stripes down the road, and some don't.

But I believe the state laws saying things like you can't cross over the center line and drive in the oncoming traffic lane apply to all roads, regardless of whether the center line is marked with a paint stripe or not. Just try telling a cop that 'there weren't any lines painted down the road, so I thought I could wander all over on it' and see how far you get!
Old 11-22-2003, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Joel
That doesn't change the fact that in order to park on the wrong side of the street, you had to travel on the wrong side of the street. I had always assumed it was because you would have an increased danger of causing an accident when you pulled out of your space head on into oncoming traffic, because no one expects to encounter a car traveling directly toward him on the wrong side of the street.
Old 11-22-2003, 11:59 PM
Charter Member

As it was explained to me (in court, no less) that should the fire department order all vehicles away from a certain curb, a vehicle facing the wrong way would be impede the traffic leaving said curb.

In any case, you got me. . .

Tripler
I fought the law, and the law won.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by t-bonham@scc.net
All streets have center lines.

It's just that some have them marked with paint stripes down the road, and some don't.
What about narrow residential streets where you have to drive in the middle?
Old 11-23-2003, 12:12 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by Bambi Hassenpfeffer
That doesn't change the fact that in order to park on the wrong side of the street, you had to travel on the wrong side of the street.
Bologna. If I back out of my driveway and park in front of my house facing the "wrong way," I have at no time driven "the wrong way" down the street, yet I would still get a ticket. There's no sense or fairness in it, and I've yet to see a convincing explanation of why it should be this way.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:46 AM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Back in the early 1980s, I got a ticket for parking the wrong direction in the freaking PX parking lot! You see, it had those angle parking spaces and I figured that I'd just go ahead and drive into the one that "married up" with the one in the correct direction to where I should've parked. I did that so I wouldn't have to back out. Well, when I got back from shopping, there was the nifty parking ticket.
Old 11-23-2003, 12:54 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Nametag
Bologna. If I back out of my driveway and park in front of my house facing the "wrong way," I have at no time driven "the wrong way" down the street, yet I would still get a ticket. There's no sense or fairness in it, and I've yet to see a convincing explanation of why it should be this way.
Further, someone could have pushed the car into that position by hand. Without actually witnessing the driver going the wrong way, no ticket for it.

In a driver's ed class I took, the instructor said that parking on the "wrong side" of the street isn't illegal because you are facing the wrong way, it is illegal because you are more than 18 inches from the curb (on the OTHER side of the street).
Old 11-23-2003, 01:29 AM

This has to be the easiest to answer.

It's because the city (department) can make money off the ticket, without haveing to prove to a jury that the law was broken. Traffic tickets/citations are different from criminal citations.

Very popular in smaller towns where access to citizen's wallets are limited
Old 11-23-2003, 02:07 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearflag70
Further, someone could have pushed the car into that position by hand. Without actually witnessing the driver going the wrong way, no ticket for it.

In a driver's ed class I took, the instructor said that parking on the "wrong side" of the street isn't illegal because you are facing the wrong way, it is illegal because you are more than 18 inches from the curb (on the OTHER side of the street).
My wife has an old broken down car she's selling on ebay. Some friends and I pushed it out of the garage onto the curb so that I could park the good car in there. Someone called the police which issued two tickets, the first, for storing the car on the side of the street, OK, some places have laws against that, fair enough, and one for it being "parked" the wrong way. Now, trying to steer a car with a broken engine, therefore, no power steering, is a pain in the ass, and turning it around to face the proper way is a lot of work. And I wasn't about to have it pushed to the other side of the street against a neighbors sidewalk. And why did I push it in the street in the first place? So that it wouldn't block up my driveway of course. Oh well, I had to get a couple of coworkers help me push it up there anyway because of the winey neighbor.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:40 AM

One last quick thought on this. I did actually get a ticket reversed for street cleaning. Try this if you have to.

Call the person in charge of city traffic parking, the head of the street dept, etc. repeat with the Chief of police and anyone else you can think of til you get the right person.

DO NOT be confrontational. Begin by explaining the situation and that you didn't know it was illegal to park that way, if needed add that no harm was done to anyone's property (if this applies) and humble yourself by promising not to do it again now that you know the law. Unless you live in a VERY small town, the person won't know you from a stranger.

If the ticket will stand, go to traffic court. Most cites are in municipal court, see if you can get it transferred to district court, this gives you the option of a jury trial. (hey, if it's possible in your area, it puts the DA in a position to prosecute a ticket).

If you can get this far request a public defender, few districts are going to spend tax dollars on a traffic ticket. Hey, you pay taxes to fund the courts, exhaust all options.

Finally, if it's something this meaningless where NOBODY complained (parking laws are for convenience of citizens) you can argue that you were the victim of selective enforcement since there is always something better for an officer to do. Might seem weak, but OJ is still golfing.

Still no resolution? Pay the fine then get your money's worth. An op-ed to the local paper is free, easy, a good vent to frustration, protected by the 1st amendment, and next time you get hit, you can claim the PD was out to get you for what you wrote.

I could be wrong, but it worked for me
Old 11-23-2003, 08:44 AM

I live on a small, quiet street, and one morning many of my neighbors woke up to find parking tickets on their windshields. They had all parked the "wrong way."

An officer from our neighborhood patrol told me that there is not even a category for this printed on the ticket - an officer has to write it in by "other."
Old 11-23-2003, 08:46 AM

I should add that I was on citizen patrol one night, and the officer with me spotted a car parked "the wrong way" - on a one way street. He put a ticket on the car for driving the wrong way on a one way street.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:06 AM
BANNED

"I've heard that in Hollywood people have been cited for having their tires turned the wrong way when parked on a hill."

Yep, SF too. Makes sense too.
Old 11-23-2003, 09:37 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
originally posted by [b]Nametag[/i]

Well in NJ (I don't know about other states) it is illegal to back out of your driveway. I don't know how often people actually get ticketed for it though, but I would assume its pretty rare.
Old 11-23-2003, 10:03 AM
Charter Member

Parking on the wrong side of the street puts the drivers seat farthest from traffic. If the other parked vehicles are tall enough, you won't see the oncoming traffic until your car is almost completely blocking their lane.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:01 AM

"Whiny neighbour," huh? Or perhaps the police just happened to notice the vehicle was there in plain view?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:11 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by x-ray vision
Well in NJ (I don't know about other states) it is illegal to back out of your driveway. I don't know how often people actually get ticketed for it though, but I would assume its pretty rare.
Illegal to back out your driveway! Yeesh. So this means either you have to walk or bicycle from now on, stay home forever, have a circular drive, or one that goes straight through to a road, or you have to back INTO your driveway. This last option sure doesn't make for any unsafe travel, as drivers in front of you suddenly put on the brakes and start driving in reverse, craning their necks and trying to steer the car into a narrow opening across the center line and two lanes of traffic.

Make enough things illegal, and it's easy to justify a police state to control the criminals, which is the entire population.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by SeekingTruth
One last quick thought on this. I did actually get a ticket reversed for street cleaning. Try this if you have to.

Call the person in charge of city traffic parking, the head of the street dept, etc. repeat with the Chief of police and anyone else you can think of til you get the right person.

DO NOT be confrontational. Begin by explaining the situation and that you didn't know it was illegal to park that way, if needed add that no harm was done to anyone's property (if this applies) and humble yourself by promising not to do it again now that you know the law. Unless you live in a VERY small town, the person won't know you from a stranger.

If the ticket will stand, go to traffic court. Most cites are in municipal court, see if you can get it transferred to district court, this gives you the option of a jury trial. (hey, if it's possible in your area, it puts the DA in a position to prosecute a ticket).

If you can get this far request a public defender, few districts are going to spend tax dollars on a traffic ticket. Hey, you pay taxes to fund the courts, exhaust all options.

Finally, if it's something this meaningless where NOBODY complained (parking laws are for convenience of citizens) you can argue that you were the victim of selective enforcement since there is always something better for an officer to do. Might seem weak, but OJ is still golfing.

Still no resolution? Pay the fine then get your money's worth. An op-ed to the local paper is free, easy, a good vent to frustration, protected by the 1st amendment, and next time you get hit, you can claim the PD was out to get you for what you wrote.

I could be wrong, but it worked for me
I talked to the guy who wrote the ticket. I think he was...oh hell, I forget his rank, either Captain or Police Cheif of the city police. Anyway, he was pretty nice about it, he talked forever though, I thought he'd never shut up, but anyway, the ticket he wrote for parking the wrong way he couldn't take back, and since it's only $10, I'm just going to pay it, I mean, why fight $10?
Old 11-23-2003, 11:19 AM

Quote:
Illegal to back out? At my house, I drive head first into my garage, and then I have no way out but to back out. I guess I could spend a few minutes trying to turn my car around in my driveway, if I wanted to be late for work or get up extra early every morning.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Monty
"Whiny neighbour," huh? Or perhaps the police just happened to notice the vehicle was there in plain view?
No, I was told that I got a ticket because of a complaint.
Old 11-23-2003, 11:50 AM

Thanks, Joel.
Old 11-23-2003, 02:19 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by SeekingTruth
Most cites are in municipal court, see if you can get it transferred to district court, this gives you the option of a jury trial.
Actually, most traffic violation citation cases are held in traffic court. Since this is not a federal case, you can never get it into a district court. You can appeal to a state court and all the way up the state court system to the SC of the state, and possibly even to SCOTUS. You always have the option of a jury trial in the lower court, but you will have to pay the costs of a jury.

SC law prohibits parking so that the right-hand wheels are more than 18 inches from the curb. So if you are parking the wrong way, the right-hand wheels will exceed that limitation.
Old 11-23-2003, 04:28 PM

Sorry, I think I meant state court, but with every state using it's own system, you can see where the confusion may enter. I still say write an op-ed piece. Lame tickets for the purpose of funding the city are never reviewed unless the citizens speak up. I'll r4elent from the thread now, thanks for reading
Old 11-23-2003, 04:45 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by hyjyljyj
Illegal to back out your driveway! Yeesh. So this means either you have to walk or bicycle from now on, stay home forever, have a circular drive, or one that goes straight through to a road, or you have to back INTO your driveway. This last option sure doesn't make for any unsafe travel, as drivers in front of you suddenly put on the brakes and start driving in reverse, craning their necks and trying to steer the car into a narrow opening across the center line and two lanes of traffic.

Make enough things illegal, and it's easy to justify a police state to control the criminals, which is the entire population.
I've come across a number of neighborhoods where the cars somehow were parked in the driveways facing toward the street. As it was explained to me: it was safer to back into a private driveway than a busy (with cars or kids) street. Although from some of the driving I've seen recently I imagine some people might miss if they had to back into a driveway.

PC
Old 11-23-2003, 05:50 PM

That is a law in my area also. The neighbors warned me about it when we first moved in. I didn't think it was that big a deal until my kids started school.

We walk the short distance to school and I see some parents who drive park facing the wrong direction nearly daily. They then often turn around in a big circle in order to head back the other direction. It really is hazardous, especially with a gaggle of goofy elementary school kids in the area.

I think it sounds like a sensible rule. I can't imagine it's that much harder for anyone to cross the street after parking.
Old 11-23-2003, 06:07 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bearflag70
Without actually witnessing the driver going the wrong way, no ticket for it.
So you'd claim that if there is no witness to a murder, no one can ever be arrested for that crime? Nonsense!
Conviction on any offense is based on the weight of the evidence. An eyewitness testimony is often convincing evidence, but it's not the only kind accepted in court.

The very fact that your car is in that position is clear proof that it had to have travelled the wrong way on the road to get there. And that's enough for the officer to issue you a ticket.

Just like a recent case here where a drunk person was found asleep behind the wheel of a car parked on the side of the road. They were charged with DWI, even thought they were not seen driving the vehicle by the officer. And the charge was upheld in the Courts, even thru appeals. Based on the common sense fact that the car clearly did not get there by magic, but was driven by this person, while drunk.
Old 11-23-2003, 07:29 PM

In the UK you can park the "wrong" way - and yes, it means crossing to the other side of the road - I can't say I've ever noticed this being dangerous or causing problems - even in busy shopping streets, after all you're gonna look before doing it (I've seen plenty of other damn-fool manoeuvres tho'...)
Old 11-24-2003, 03:44 AM

I'd always assumed it would be because, at night, you would have no reflectors facing the traffic causing a possible accident.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:05 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Capt B. Phart
In the UK you can park the "wrong" way - and yes, it means crossing to the other side of the road - I can't say I've ever noticed this being dangerous or causing problems - even in busy shopping streets, after all you're gonna look before doing it (I've seen plenty of other damn-fool manoeuvres tho'...)
Be aware, Capt, that it is illegal to park the "wrong" way at night.
Old 11-24-2003, 08:21 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally posted by barbitu8
SC law prohibits parking so that the right-hand wheels are more than 18 inches from the curb. So if you are parking the wrong way, the right-hand wheels will exceed that limitation.
So I guess that means there's no parking on the left side of a one-way street?
Old 11-24-2003, 09:44 AM

Quote:
Here in VT, too.

I was wondering about this 'facing the wrong way' thing this morning, actually. Walking down my street to work, I noticed that two cars were facing the wrong direction. They both had been ticketed.
Old 11-24-2003, 09:58 AM

I live in a small quiet neighborhood circle. You don't get tickets for parking the "wrong way", but you are considered at fault if someone hits your car.

On 2 different occasions my across-the-street neighbors (2 different families) have had their parked cars hit. Both cars were hit head on by drivers who didn't notice the car sitting there. (One dad hit his son's car which had been parked the wrong way.) According to the police, the front of the car is not designed to be as reflective as the back, so it's very hard to see some cars if they are facing toward oncoming traffic. This is especially true of cars that have the fold-down headlamps. The officer said that it is state law to not park against traffic because of this.
Old 11-24-2003, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
Quote:
SECTION 56-5-2560. Parking shall be at right-hand curb not more than 18 inches from curb. [SC ST SEC 56-5-2560]

Except as otherwise provided in 56-5-2540 and 56-5-2550, every vehicle stopped or parked upon a roadway where there are adjacent curbs shall be so stopped or parked with the right-hand wheels of such vehicle parallel to and within eighteen inches of the right-hand curb.
Quote:
SECTION 56-5-2540. Stopping, standing, or parking may be prohibited on State highways.

The Department of Transportation with respect to state highways may place signs prohibiting or restricting the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles on any highway where, in its judgment, such stopping, standing or parking is deemed by the Department of Transportation to be hazardous to those using the highway or where the stopping, standing or parking of vehicles would unduly interfere with the free movement of traffic thereon. Such signs shall be official signs and no person shall stop, stand or park any vehicle in violation of the restrictions stated on such signs.

SECTION 56-5-2550. Left curb and angle parking may be permitted.

The Department of Transportation with respect to state highways and local authorities with respect to highways under their jurisdiction may permit parking of vehicles with the left-hand wheels adjacent to and within eighteen inches of the left-hand curb on one-way roadways and may permit angle parking on any roadway of sufficient width to permit angle parking without interfering with the free movement of traffic. But local authorities shall not permit such left-hand parking on one-way roadways nor angle parking on state highways except upon written approval of the Department of Transportation.
One-way roads are excepted.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:11 PM
Charter Member

In North Carolina, it is illegal to park on the "wrong side of the road" if you cross a solid center line to do it. In Virginia, it is always illegal.
Old 11-24-2003, 03:12 PM

> and since it's only $10, I'm just going to pay it, I mean, why fight $10?

I think it's called standing up for your principles.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:08 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by GaryM
As barbitu8 quotes for SC law, it's ok to do on a one-way. Of course, it probably depends on the state, as well as if the road is 3+ car widths wide or not. I'd wager that if the road's not wide enough, you'll get a ticket.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Bambi Hassenpfeffer
That doesn't change the fact that in order to park on the wrong side of the street, you had to travel on the wrong side of the street.
So what? It's not automaticaly illegal to drive on the wrong side. Unless there is a double solid yellow line down the middle of the street, you may drive on the wrong side to pass a slower car. So why would it be illegal to do so to park on the wrong side? In both cases, the driver is under the onus of doing it SAFELY. The knee-jerk, "it's illegal to drive on the wrong side" argument doesn't hold water, IMO.

Of course YMMV as laws vary from state to state, city to city, blah blah.
Old 11-24-2003, 04:47 PM

Were you fined for being more than 30 inches from the curb?
Old 11-24-2003, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Flash-57 I think it's called standing up for your principles.
What principles -- he was wrong. The people of his state have decided that parking like that is dangerous, and made it against the law. He violated that law, and should pay the (minor) penalty.

If he believes as a matter of principle that the law is wrong, he should try to persuade the legislature to change the law.
Old 11-24-2003, 06:11 PM

I thought this was a basic driver-ed thing.

In PA, 3354 states you must park on the right side of two-way highways not more than 12 inches from curb or roadway edge, or on either side of a one-way highway, still observing the 12 inch rule.