The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-02-2003, 07:51 PM

African American men and oral sex

Allright the reason I'm asking this stupid question is because of this......

Saturday night was card night with the boys. And of course with five guys (two of which were African Americans) and a case of beer (CORONA) We started talking about sex.

Well one of my AA friends asked me.....Dave (My real name) do you....go down?

OF course I said. Then he looks at the other guy and said "I dont see how you white boys do that." To which I said you don't ?
Hell no he says to me. I said why? He said thats just nasty!

So what gives? Do AA men really hate oral sex?

Advertisements  
Old 12-02-2003, 08:06 PM

I don't know about them, but I have about a dozen Mexican co-workers and they seem to be absolutely disgusted by the very idea.

Also, my ex-boyfriend from Honduras said he would never do it, although he seemed to enjoy being on the receiving end.

Notice how I said "ex"?
Old 12-02-2003, 08:12 PM

That's a white thing? Weird.

I love going down.. mmm... squirming moaning women are wonderful things.. and what a flavour.. oh my.

Excuse me, I need to go dunk my head in some ice water.

-n (whiteboy)
Old 12-02-2003, 08:41 PM

Okay this is info from my black suite mate from college, who I used to have very interesting conversations with regarding, for lack of a better term, "black culture" vs. "white culture." I am not saying she's right or wrong, this is just what she told me on the subject:

She said that black people, if they're "raised right," don't do that. Especially girls. She said as she was growing up (in SC if that makes a difference), it was more "respectable" for a black girl to just sleep with a guy than to give a blow job. I sensed the same attitude among my black friends in high school. Nice girls just don't do that. And apparently nice black boys don't do that either, because I, um, heard some interesting stories about some guys she dated that did. Apparently it was a rarity.

Which is interesting because as *I* was growing up in my lily-white world in western Kentucky, it was just the opposite. White girls who gave BJ's were okay, white girls who actually had sex were ho's (hos? hoes?).
Old 12-02-2003, 08:43 PM

Ummm my boyfriend is black and has NO problem with performing or receiving oral sex. Which is just fine with me

I have noticed a tendency among certain groups of men to say that they don't perform oral sex but once the door is closed on the bedroom are more than willing to 'do their share'
Old 12-02-2003, 08:47 PM

Maybe they're worried that the fabled 4 inch black clitoris will poke their eyes out.
Old 12-02-2003, 09:39 PM

In my girlfriends human sexuallity text book it showed a breakdown of participation in sexual acts by race. Whites performed and received oral sex far more that blacks and a bit more than hispanics. I forget the figures but the percentage of whites received and performed almost twice that of blacks.
Old 12-02-2003, 10:09 PM

Who else read the OP and thought of Krazee-Eyez Killa from "Curb Your Enthusiasm"?
Old 12-02-2003, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Rushgeekgirl
I have about a dozen Mexican co-workers and they seem to be absolutely disgusted by the very idea.
I'm not.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:04 PM

I'm surprised, based on what I've heard from black comedians, I'd think that this was a seriously sought after thing to do for black men.

I do remember my ex-husband, who's from the south and is white, saying "all of us southern white boys love to do it". Not sure if that's true though.

I DO think it's very aggravating that some men think it's "disgusting" but yet think they deserve oral sex anyway.
Old 12-02-2003, 11:32 PM

How YOU doin', Berkut?

Hey, someone had to say it.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:07 AM

I'll add my anecdotal evidence to the pile here as well. While there are certainly exceptions, the general perception is exactly as SnoopyFan provided.

Actual overheard conversation between male coworkers, average age around 40.

White Guy "You mean you don't eat it?!"

Black Guy 1 "Heck no! That's disgusting! How can you do that?"

BG 2 "That's just a waste of what it's there for, man."

WG "Why do you think our women are so docile?"

I just busted out laughing right there, there are some advantages to working in a male-dominated field.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:15 AM
Charter Member

In one of my university classes there was a report showing a statistically significant relationship between income classes and whether you practice genital and oral sex (quite possibly, anal sex was also documenter). The higher income groups were more likely to engage in oral and genital sex than the lower income groups.

I wish I could remember what the heck this study was, but I'm sure it exists.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:55 AM

From "True Romance"

DREXL
Floyd say he don't be eatin' pussy.

BIG D
Shit, any nigger say he don't eat pussy is lyin' his ass off.

DREXL
I heard that.

FLOYD
Hold on a second, Big D. You sayin' you eat pussy?

BIG D
Nigger, I eat everything. I eat pussy. I eat the butt. I eat every
motherfuckin' thang.

DREXL
Preach on, Big D.

FLOYD
Look here. If I ever did eat some pussy - I would never eat any pussy -
but, if I did eat some pussy, I sure as hell wouldn't tell no goddamn body.
I'd be ashamed as a motherfucker.
Old 12-03-2003, 04:57 AM

African-American male checkin in, and I eat it like a last meal.

I go down like it's a trip south of the border.

So on and so forth. But I'm still nothin compared to my friend Ken. He's just sick with it.
Old 12-03-2003, 06:09 AM

What would make it disgusting, is what i wanna know. Unless you're goin' out with some dirty skank ho, but then the question would be why are you fuckin' something so nasty that you wouldn't put your tongue in it?
Old 12-03-2003, 07:10 AM

Quote:
Snoopyfan
Which is interesting because as *I* was growing up in my lily-white world in western Kentucky, it was just the opposite. White girls who gave BJ's were okay, white girls who actually had sex were ho's (hos? hoes?).
Yeah, amongst all the girls I knew, "giving head" would be waaaaaaay more scandalous than just intercourse. Hello! It's putting somebody's nasty "thing" in your MOUTH!!!! And I refuse to believe that that sentiment is any different anywhere else.
Old 12-03-2003, 07:24 AM

Heh. I just finished reading "In the Cut" and the black guy in the book said he's not eating ANYTHING that gets up and walks away afterward. Bwahahahaha!!!!
Old 12-03-2003, 07:28 AM

I had 3 African American apartment mates my freshman year at college. All of them thought I was crazy for loving to perform oral sex. A vividly remembered quote from John: "Man, she pisses from down there - I ain't licking her where she pisses."
Old 12-03-2003, 07:49 AM

I've dated a few black guys, and they've all been more then happy to go down. I guess I've been lucky?
Old 12-03-2003, 09:13 AM
Charter Member

Two unscientific responses:

(1) As long as we're quoting fiction, here's some closely paraphrased dialogue from The Waterdance (with a great performance by Wesley Snipes as Raymond):

Scene: Group therapy for recent paraplegics.

COUNSELOR (white man, also in a wheelchair): Oral sex comes in handy.

RAYMOND (muttering and shaking his head): Aw, there ain't gonna be none of that, now.

COUNSELOR: Did you say something, Raymond?

RAYMOND: Look Doc, I don't mean no disrespect, but a woman was made to service a man. That's just a biological fact.

COUNSELOR: I think some of us here might disagree with you.

RAYMOND: You're telling me you want me to eat some pussy. (emphatically) Black men don't eat pussy!

BLACK MAN WITH DEEP VOICE AND JAMAICAN ACCENT: What you gonna do, Raymond, use a straw? (everyone chuckles)

RAYMOND: Maybe I'll use your big nappy head!

COUNSELOR: Raymond, it's your choice, but I'll tell you -- I've been in this chair 18 years . . .

RAYMOND: Oh, and you're telling me that you go down on a woman?

COUNSELOR (smiles): Every chance I get.

RAYMOND: Aw, that's disgusting. That's just absolutely disgusting.

-----

(2) A story I've heard a few times: Once Billy Joel and a friend were backstage at a Paul McCartney concert, and were looking for something to eat that wasn't vegetarian. They asked Paul if there wasn't any food around that had meat in it. Paul replied, "Come on, guys, you know I don't eat anything that has a face."

Billy's friend said, "Poor Linda."
Old 12-03-2003, 09:32 AM

In E. Lynn Harris' Invisible Life, he talks about this taboo. He has one of the women characters even make a determining factor of the men she dates. If the men won't go down, they won't get down.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:42 AM

I'm a dedicated ( white male) carpet muncher but isn't it amazing how different black /white/Asian woman taste..I know all woman taste different but there is a marked difference especially between black and white woman (both good just different) ... dose anyone have any ideas why ... one of my GF said that mens cum tastes different but not especially different between black and white but it changes taste depending on what the guy had been eating !!
Old 12-03-2003, 09:57 AM

Sqube you have Ken's number by chance?
Old 12-03-2003, 10:21 AM

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Tonya
"Why do you think our women are so docile?"
Oh, man! I cracked up at this.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:25 AM

The prevailing notion when I was growing up was that us brothers shouldn't eat anything that 'bleeds for seven days and doesn't die'.

Of course now that I've finished growing up, sometimes I just don't feel comfortable without a slightly wrenched neck.
And there is no greater thing than going back in full speed right as she's reached that monent and pushes you away while squealing, "don'ttouchmedon'ttouchmedon'ttouchme." Try it sometime.
Old 12-03-2003, 11:06 AM

Who else here now has a crush on Sqube?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:37 AM

I don't get why it's considered soo disgusting to go down on a woman. What does that make putting a guy's dick in your mouth? If anything should be considered gross, it's oral sex on a guy--which gender do you think has the monopoly on bathing/showering? Yeah, I thought so...
Old 12-03-2003, 12:19 PM

My impression is that it is a big macho thing among some AA men. Men who eat pussy are "punks" etc. So to admit to a bunch of guys that they eat pussy is to lose status. When they get in the bedroom, however, its a different story. They know the woman is not about to go blabbing to their male friends that they went down there.

Does this make sense?
Old 12-03-2003, 12:44 PM

Related to galens comment is the scene in The Sopranos where Uncle Junior is warning his lady friend never to tell anyone he goes down. His resoning is "if they know you eat pussy, they will think you will put anything in your mouth". In other words, performing oral sex on women means you are gay. Well, if you are a woman it does, but I don't think that is what Junior was talking about.
Old 12-03-2003, 12:55 PM

All I can guess is that those guys who won't go down are probably having a LOT less sex than those who are.
Old 12-03-2003, 01:02 PM

Hmmm..... sugar walls..............
Old 12-03-2003, 01:43 PM

I personally can't imagine missing out on one of the finest things in life. I have to assume that men who don't or won't go down on a woman are simply ignorant because I don't see how any man could not love it. It's more intimate than intercourse to me and certainly one of my favorite sex acts
Just thinking about this makes me regret being single right now.
Old 12-03-2003, 02:20 PM

I have white friends who won't do it, and white friends who only do it out of obligation. They would all make fun of me because I like to do it. But I think it's mostly because they don't have enough experience with it. It can be very intimidating at first, when you don't really know what to do, and you don't get a good reaction. But once you learn a couple tricks, going down on a girl can be addictive. And now that I've said that, I need to go take a cold shower.
Old 12-03-2003, 03:43 PM

Boricua here who grew up around African Americans. Oral sex was never frowned upon by my circle of friends which was a mixture of Puerto Ricans and Blacks. This was up north in Cleveland. Maybe it is a regional thing.
Old 12-03-2003, 08:58 PM

My theory as to why oral sex is more of a taboo among African Americans: the overt religiosity of many in our community; there are, IIRC, prohibitions against nonprocreative sex in Leviticus and Deuteronomy. I'm curious as to whether there is greater aversion to oral sex among white Southerners than among white Northerners.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:17 PM

When I read the OP, I thought this was gonna be a gay thread, so as long as I'm here...

Among gay men, I haven't noticed any racial difference whatsoever. I guess if someone has overcome one social taboo, the second one's easy.

In fact, one of my exes was black, and I'm white. He loved doing it, but didn't care about having it done; I love having it done, but don't care about doing it. If only the rest of our relationship had been that wonderful.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:34 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Queen Tonya
I'll add my anecdotal evidence to the pile here as well. While there are certainly exceptions, the general perception is exactly as SnoopyFan provided.

Actual overheard conversation between male coworkers, average age around 40.

White Guy "You mean you don't eat it?!"

Black Guy 1 "Heck no! That's disgusting! How can you do that?"

BG 2 "That's just a waste of what it's there for, man."

WG "Why do you think our women are so docile?"

I just busted out laughing right there, there are some advantages to working in a male-dominated field.
LMAO, I had two minds about that last statement, the first was "HEY!!" and the second was "I resemble that remark" (hehe).

As to the black guy statement of 'waste of what it's there for...." Um, hello? You'd get a lot more of "what it' s there for if you "Prep" it.
Old 12-03-2003, 09:37 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by sperfur
Who else here now has a crush on Sqube?
Me... me ... me .. and me
Old 12-03-2003, 09:44 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by Kalhoun
Heh. I just finished reading "In the Cut" and the black guy in the book said he's not eating ANYTHING that gets up and walks away afterward. Bwahahahaha!!!!
If she can walk away afterward, something went wrong.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:07 PM

Amen
Old 12-03-2003, 10:13 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by TheNerd
MMm hmm, and THIS would be why I date nerds.
Old 12-03-2003, 10:29 PM

Where can I find these elusive nerds you speak of?
Old 12-03-2003, 11:46 PM

Well I don't know about elusive nerds, and I definitely don't have Ken's number available, but I'm here. I accept walk-ins, run-ins, appointments, etc etc etc.

But really though, I used that Preparation V argument to get some of my friends to at least try it. And if all else fails, here's what I say. There's one word that should probably make you happy if you go down on your woman: Reciprocity.

I don't know about the rest of you, but I can't ever use the smilie without thinking about women. Ever. For the rest of my natural existence.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:08 PM

In college, I roomed with two of the varsity football players, both black. Tommy (RB) was from Miami and quite the playa, and John (DE), the other, was from a small town in Texas and was a perfect gentleman.

Both expressed disgust at the idea of performing oral sex on a woman. And they were both assuming that I loved it as a white boy... which was true.

I used that year as an opportunity to ask a lot of questions about black culture that i never would have had the nerve to ask anyone else but roomies. Like the meaning and origins of black slang, etc.

WRT cunnilingus, I asked, provocatively, "Why don't black guys do that? Are the women all that nasty down there?" To which I received the emphatic no I expected. So I explained, "I'm tellin' ya, if you do that for your woman, and do it right, she will adore you. You wanna be her man, you make her come like that." And I described basic techniques and what to expect, including that she bathe first.

So a couple nights later, Tommy says to me, "I tried that the other nite on my girl, and you know, it wasn't bad at all, except I kept getting hair in my teeth."

I still crack up every time I remember it... I had to tell him he wasn't s'posed to be using his teeth.

So I told him about the trick with the soul patch.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by luluBahrain
Where can I find these elusive nerds you speak of?
Evil chuckle......

Well, I have one, and I have to admit, I've only heard about the rest (but if it counts, from women like me who are actually involved with one), but based on my experience, and what I've heard, when it comes to awesome sex (of all kinds, not just going down), they are "IT" baby.
Old 12-04-2003, 04:49 PM
Charter Member

Uh, I think I need to go take a cold shower too!
Old 12-04-2003, 05:16 PM

Quote:
Originally posted by bughunter
So I told him about the trick with the soul patch.
Oh, Come ON!!!

You have to tell us now!
Old 12-04-2003, 11:07 PM

Quote:
How you doin'?
Old 12-04-2003, 11:16 PM

Quote:
Here I am looking for elusive nerds and there is a member with Nerd in their name. dddduuuurrrrrr
And how are you doin'?