how much damage can a 22 caliber hand gun do?

a friend of mine was threatened with one, say he had been shot (luckily he wasnt)

is a .22 strong enough to case any considerable long term damage to someones body?

Depends where you get shot. If shot in the heart of the head, it can kill you, which I’d call “long-term damage”. Paralysis can result if the bullet severs the spinal cord, though this is unlikely if shot from the front. Sepsis can result if the intestines are punctured, but overall, the damage will not be terribly severe. Most body shots would be painful, but survivable if treated quickly.

If your friend had been shot in the heart, head, or major artery then he’d likely have died.

Contrary to some odd theories, it’s CNS damage or blood loss that cause gunshot deaths, not “shock effect” or “energy dumping”.

By the same token, a 22 is less likely to put a big-ass hole in you than a larger bore or faster round, so it’s more likely that you’ll survive a 22 gunshot wound than say… a 45 auto.

it was some dumb ass hood rat, so i dont think he would have ended up getting shot in the heart or the head , most likely the neck. im just glad hes alright. poor boys been mugged 3 times walking down the street in the last week

Y’know, the jugular vein is located in the neck, so being hit there might not be better than being hit in the head…and “dumb ass” doesn’t necessarily mean “can’t hit anything”…

The point is, a .22 can still kill you just as dead as any other caliber of firearm. You probably have a better chance of surviving a random hit, but it’s still a bullet travelling at high speed through the tissue of one’s body. Kinda like asking “just how dangerous is a knife-weilding maniac if all he’s got is a really sharp paring knife instead of a butcher knife?”

say, someone was shot in the knee caps cause they talked to the wrong mob boss or something, a .44 is going to do more damage to said knee caps then a .22 right? thats kind of what im getting at.

ive heard talk that a .22 if shot in the head from 6 feet back would not kill you. is that true?

Yes.

No,it’s not true. You may survive a head shot from a .22, and you’re more likely to than if shot with a .45, but shot to the head with a .22 certainly can kill you.

ugh i hate guns.

also what is CNS damage… BUMP had mentioned that it was CNS damage and blood loss that kills you more than shock effect.

I wouldn’t try to verify that claim about .22s hansolo. Whoever told you that has severe rectal-cranial inversion. A correctly placed shot would could kill a person at 50-100 yards or more. The human body is not a homogenous mass where X amount of damage will cause death. You’ve got hard bits and squishy bits. Some you can live without, some you can’t live without very long and some not at all. It all depends how and where you get hit.

Not all .22 ammunition is created the same. Standard velocity target and plinking ammunition normally has a plain, solid bullet and won’t cause as much severe tissue damage but it will likely penetrate soft tissue deeper. Ultra high velocity ammunition with a lighter, hollowpoint bullet can cause much more severe damage and by the same token often less penetration.

The CNS is the central nervous system: the brain, brain stem and spinal cord.

CNS = central nervous system. Basically brain, brain stem and spinal cord for this discussion.

No reason to hate inanimage object but that discussion should take place elsewhere.

My God, where do people come up with this stuff?

Look, a hole in the head isn’t a good thing. It may not kill you, but it will f*** you up. It is definitely on the list of Things You Don’t Want.

well that about answers it for me. thanks again.

im just glad my friend did not get shot.

Why hate them?

The great equalizers. The tools that allow nitwits with only the two brain cells required to operate the mechanism I’d compare to using a remote control to kill human beings from the comfort of several yards away…

Anyway, but to the topic: I believe that high speed ammunition as well as high speed rifles can kill you just by shockwave they cause in your body as the bullet flies through. Essentially turning your insides into ground beef.

scare me i guess would be more accurate. i dont hate anything.

somethings i say that i hate, i just mildly dislike. ive got about getting a gun for protection, but i know that in the time of having to use it, i wouldnt be able to pull the trigger. we all know that having a gun in time of crisis and not using it is probably alot worse then not having a gun.

anyone in KCMO area know of a good shooting range, where i can take hand gun lessons?

• I would love to have one of these kinds o’ guns (linked below), just to play with–I don’t wanna shoot nobody. Not possible for various reasons.

-And it’s a rifle, but a subsonic one–so it would be similar in power to a handgun.
        But anyway:
        http://www.isayeret.com/weapons/sws/ruger/ruger.htm
        ~

Wow, how quickly people forget. Bobby Kennedy was killed by a .22 pistol.

I also wonder how many deaths can be attributed to people thinking “Hey, it’s only a .22”. It seems as if (especially in the United States) that you’ve gotta have the most powerful, macho firearm otherwise your potential ‘target’ will escape with just a hangnail. (Dirty Harry has to have that .44 Magnum and Harrison Ford in that ‘Patriot Games’ billboard was packing his .45)

Heck, I 'm a gunowner but it seems people have forgotten firearms safety (and firearms danger for that matter). You get shot in the movies or TV why it’s nothing at all right?

And let’s not forget the M-16 fires basically a .22 round…just a heavy one with a ton of velocity–wrecks anything it his.

i had a friend murdered with a .22 once (you know what I mean). he was hit in a tight pattern in the chest “between 3 & 6 times” at a range of approximately 6-10 feet. Good shoting, but it underscores a point: you can get off a lotta .22 shots with realy good control as opposed to one cannon ball that whips the gun in the air and makes you reacquire your target.

I seem to recall a tale of some hunter who decided he was gonna kill one of everything in N. America with a .22. Results in stories like paddling his canoe up to a moos and putting a round into its ear…seems a little risky to get that close to Bulwinkle, but I’m not a hunter. I have no idea how he approached the Grizzly Bear problem. I’d want at least an RPG for one of them.

A .22 behind the ear has been a traditional send off to many a mobster.

I knew a kid in high school who committed suicide with a .22 handgun. Stuck it to his temple and pulled the trigger.

Don’t let anyone kid you; a .22 round can be quite lethal. I even heard it can penetrate Level I, II, and III “bulletproof” vests…