The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Old 12-16-2003, 04:19 PM

Resume writing for a job in a different field - advice needed

I work for a small consulting company, doing work that I enjoy. Although next year looks to be a banner year in terms of projects we'll be taking on, right now the money is coming in slowly and a bit irregularly, and I'm worried about keeping up with my bills. I've been looking into opportunities to do some freelance proofreading work to bring in some extra money. The flexibility would be ideal in terms of my "day job," plus I used to work for a legal publisher before I went to grad school, so I have a lot of proofreading experience.

I have been out of the regular job market so long, though, that I'm not sure if there is a preferred style for resumes these days, or even how best to market myself. I've surfed around through various resume-writing web sites, but the advice isn't consistent - some suggest a skills-oriented resume if you're aiming for a job rather different from your current job, others say it's a warning flag to your potential employer that you might not be the best fit. I should be able to make my grad school and current job experience work in my favor (in terms of being comfortable with technical/scientific language) but I'm just not sure how I should present myself.

Dopers in HR or with recent resume-writing experience - do you have any suggestions for me?
Advertisements