Andy Griffith Show trivia:

My SDMB name is ET Bass, after the character of Earnest T. Bass of the Andy Griffith Show. The character of Bass was played by Howard Morris.

1.) What does Howard Morris and Woody Allen have in common?-They are both Jewish from New York.

2.) Who was the only character married on the show?-Otis, the drunk.

3.) Marijuana was mentioned on the show, but edited out. It was an episode where Andy and Barney had to go deliver a baby from a mystery man’s farm.

4.) Francis Bavier was alive when the “Return from Mayberry” movie showed on NBC.

5.) Only Andy Griffith and Seinfeld left the air at number one in the ratings.

6.) Floyd the barber,Helen Crump and Howard are dead from the series. i am sure Emitt the TV dude dies too.

UNKNOWN TRIVIA:

7.) The name of the darling band?

8.) How come Andy did not do it with Charlene?
Name your own questions or answers to the Andy Griffith Show thread.>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>
Senor

5.) How come

Well, I can answer #7 - The Darlings in real life are the bluegrass band The Dillards. http://www.the-dillards.com/

And I can speculate on #8, even though I suspect it’s not a real question - Charlene was A) engaged, and B) much younger than Andy.

More trivia:

The theme song is called “The Fishin’ Hole” and actually has lyrics. http://www.geocities.com/tvshowthemelyrics/AndyGriffithSong.html

Little annoying town child Leon was Ron Howard’s little brother Clint.

Howard’s mother got married on the show, too, after which he turned their house into a “swinger’s pad”.

Frances Bavier was indeed alive when the reunion movie was made. However, she refused to see or speak to her former castmates after her retirement in 1970. She wouldn’t even answer the door when Andy Griffith and Ron Howard tried to visit her. She absolutely turned down Griffith’s pleas for her to appear in the reunion movie.

Here and here are two biographies of Bavier that go into her life after retirement. She seems to have become a crazy cat lady (no offense to our own CCL).

As a kid, I had a beagle named “Floyd,” after Floyd the Barber.

What the name of Opies mother ever referenced on the show?

It’s been almost 35 years and I can still walk up to my best friend from high school, even after not seeing him for 10 years, and crack him up by saying:

“How do you do, Mrs. Wiley”
That was the greatest televison show ever. I’ll bet it holds up much better than Seinfeld will.

Something tells me we ain’t seen the last of this guy…

At any mention of the Darlings, "Dooley " gets stuck in my head for a few hours. And Charlene was hot, especially in that back-woods sort of way.

“…and I’ll pay you back some day”

Pash

For me the line “I ain’t no creach-ter!” still gets me, or his line “reckon who that could be?” in the same episode. My friend Stef will periodically, in the middle of a mall or on a road trip and without warning, suddently go

“Ole Aunt Miriah, jump in the fire. Fire too hot, jump in the pot. Pot too black, jump in the crack. Crack too high, jump in the sky. Sky too blue, jump in canoe. Canoe too shallow, jump in the tallow. Tallow too soft, jump in the loft. Loft too rotten, jump in the cotton. Cotton so white she stayed there all night!”

and I can’t regain it. I don’t know exactly what it was that made that show so funny (before Barney left- never regained it afterwards), but when it worked it was magic.

I like that one, but the one that does it for me is There is a Time , which was written by the Dillards and featured on at least one episode of ANDY GRIFFITH (“I do b’lieve that’s about the pertiest song I ever heard…”)

Trivia question: was that really Charlene (Maggie Peterson ) singing in that song? I got a copy of it before the fall of Napster (God rest it’s pirating soul) but would love to own a copy on CD.

Probably the single favorite episode of many - it certainly is for me. My favorite line in the ep comes from Barney, after Ernest T. comes bounding down Andy’s stairs, vaults over the bannister and flops in a chair: “Oh, he’s a regular Count of Monte Christo!”

w/re the Darlings -

Old Man Darling: Let’s play “Don’t beat your grandma with a big ol’ stick”.

Charlene: That’s the one that makes me cry!

From a fanzine, these are the songs the Darlins mentioned but never played:

“Tearing’ Up Your Old Clothes for Rags”
“Wet Shoes in the Sunset”
“Tow Sack Full of Love”
“Keep Your Money in Your Shoes and It Won’t Get Wet”
“Don’t Beat Your Grandma With a Big Ol’ Stick”
“Dirty Me, Dirty Me, I’m Disgusted with Myself”
“Will you Love Me When I’m Old and Ugly”

I think Eminem did a cut of “Tow Sack Full of Love” (only he renamed it “Mama Was a Bitch”).

It was a very musical show, and most or all of the cast were musically gifted. I understand that between takes they would sing gospel songs a cappella for fun.

The Dillards song played on the show but not yet mentioned in this thread is “Ebo Walker.”

sorry when barney left the show wasnt the same or as good

otis was on the brady bunch as the kartoon king…a kids show and bobby was on it in an ice cream eating contest…bobby lost…he was also on it as santa claus in the christmas episode where mrs brady lost her voice and cindy asks him for her moms voice back

Remember Jack Nicholson’s appearance as the father of the kid someone left at the door of the sheriff’s office?

And my password to get in here is one of the characters on the show.

[QUOTE]
*Originally posted by Brad Pittiful *
**sorry when barney left the show wasnt the same or as good

I agree. Barney Fife is possibly the funniest character in the history of American TV.

Warren didn’t cut it.

Warren is embarassing after Barney. I just won’t watch one of those shows in color with Warren, and that poor Howard trying to be “hip”.

Jack Nicholson was in another TAGS ep, Aunt Bee, the Juror, as a man on trial for burglary.

Jack Nicholson was on the Andy Griffith Show? No way.

ET

From the IMDB: