Runtime error has occurred--do I wish to debug??! WTF?

Every day on my new laptop with Windows XP, I’ll click on some link or other, and a box will appear on the screen saying,

“A runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug?
Line: 235
Error: Object expected.”
Then I’m to click Yes / No.

I have no idea what this means, so today finally I clicked yes. Then it asks me to “Pleas install a debugger. Possible debuggers: New instance of MS Script Editor” is the only one they have, and it’s highlighted. So it asks, “Do you wish to debug using the selcted debugger?” Being a genius, I click Yes.

Then it tells me to “Choose the program types you want to debug,” and offers “Script” as the only choice. So again I click yes.

Then I get an error box with the exclamation point in the yellow triangle. The box is titled Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger. In the box it says, “Microsoft JScript runtime error: Object expected” and gives the four choices of buttons: Break, Continue, Ignore, and Help. Clicking Help out of helplessness, it explains the other three as follows.

Microsoft Visual Studio Debugger (Exception Thrown) Dialog Box
An exception has occurred in your program. You can choose between the following options for handling the exception:

Break

Execution will break into the debugger. The exception handler is not invoked prior to the break. If you continue from the break, the exception handler will be invoked.

Continue

Allows execution to continue, giving the execution handler a chance to handle the exception. This option may be disabled for certain types of exceptions.

Ignore

Allows execution to continue without invoking the execution handler. Because the exception handler is not invoked, this can lead to further consequences, including additional exceptions and errors. This option may be disabled for certain types of exceptions.

“Exception thrown”?! Yeahright. Scarcely a single word of this makes any sense to me whatsoever, as I am a normal person and not a computer expert. So I click Break, as nothing happens when I click Continue, and Ignore is grayed out anyway.

Then I get the white X in the red circle saying, “The debugger cannot display source code for disassembly or the current location where execution has stopped.” and the only button you get to click after this tasty little morsel of data is “OK”. Back to square one. All reference to debugging has left the building–for now. But you can hear it intoning in a vaguely Austrian accent: “I’ll be back.”

Any help will be greatly appreciated!

Assuming you’re using IE: Tools > Internet Options > Advanced tab. Be sure “Disable script debugging” is checked. Click OK.

What QED didn’t expain is that most webpages contain programming errors. They’re often caused by version differences between browsers, or are triggered by firewall or ad blocking software that edits the page before the browser gets it.

Normally you as the user would want to ignore those errors and just view the page however it comes out. But what if you’re the guy/gal who wrote the page for the website company and you need to work on fixing the errors? They use IE too.

That’s where all that debugger stuff comes in.

So the debugger’s not meant for ordinary users, but rather for the programmers who maintain the page. QED explained how to turn that feature off in your IE so you won’t be bothered.