what's the straight dope on "the third eye" (cue the new age music)

I think we’ve all experienced that odd pressure-like feeling in the center of our foreheads which some people refer to as “the third eye.” Googling this, even after filtering out “blind,” is tedious to say the least after scrolling through all the yoga/meditation/holistic-open-heart-surgery sites.

What is the bioelectrical and/or chemical stimulus that triggers this response? Does it serve any purpose? Is it symptomatic of any horrid disease?

thanks!

strsljen

anyone? you know – have someone hover their fingers a few mm away from your skin in the center of your forehead – hell i can do it to myself. aaaggh i am insane!

Not that I buy into this, but look up ‘Pineal gland’. That’s what people usually associate with the “Third Eye”. It’s supposed to be light sensitive or something, but who cares? Light isn’t going to make its way through your skull.

Check the Straight Dope archives, too. I have a vague memory of Cecil covering this.

link #1

link #2

Nope, never heard of anybody feeling that.

Here’s a possibility–you’re just imagining it. You know when someone’s fingers are near your skin, so you feel the pressure, because you expect it. Try conducting a blind test: cover your eyes with something, and have a friend put his fingers near your forehead. If you can reliably detect this without seeing the fingers, feeling the breeze from his hand, hearing him walk towards you, or cheating in some other way, then you’ve got something.

It’s clear that you really believe that you can sense the fingers in a strange way, but do the test just to make sure.

I’ve definitely experienced the sensation the OP describes. In fact, it “works” pretty much everwhere, not just on your forehead. This is why I agree with what Neutron Jack has said. Its just your anticipation of feeling pressure there. Do it with your eyes closed and have someone bring a pointy object near your skin - you won’t feel anything.

Are you sure the OP is talking about sensing something placed in the vicinity?

The centre of my forehead often feels stimulated during meditation or just plain relaxation. A warm, vaguely pulsating feeling. No touching required.

If I had to guess, I’d be looking in the direction what happens to the related nerves when the orbital muscles relax, since this feeling always comes on pretty much immediately after tension in that area is relieved.

Nope. The third eye is generally associated with being spiritually ‘in tune’ in Buddhism and Hinduism. Since it’s Eastern in origin, New Agers LOVE it. You’ll especially see that at work in Lateralus’s second link. Some people think it’s some powerful spiritual point or something, others like me think that’s a lot of garbage.

Ljut strsljen —I think you just have sinus trouble.

Take a Dristan, drink some hot tea, & if it persists, see your doctor.

I’ve noticed before that I can feel the heat from a finger/hand held near my face. Maybe that’s what you’re feeling when you do the finger test. Try placing your finger near other parts of your face to see if it generates the same sensation for you as when it’s infront of your forehead.

Careful, handy got the axe for dispensing medical info…
:smiley:

Aw. This happens to me too. I was hoping for some actual info about this.

Anyone have some links that don’t mention “pure energy”, pyramids, or rainbows? :rolleyes:

Heh-- I can’t believe nobody’s yet made a joke about “third eye for the straight dope.”

If Moe can’t poke Curley in it, it ain’t there. :smiley:

One Saturday morning when I was living at home I was still 3 quarters asleep when I felt this distinct tingling in my forehead. I cracked an eye open in time to glimpse my mother exiting the room. From this and even subtler cues in my near unconscious state I concluded that she had come in and leaned real close to see it I was still asleep. So there was no beforehand stimulation triggering and anticipatory response. Perhaps my brain was able to detect the electromagnetic field emanating from mom’s brain.

Or maybe, just maybe, you have small hairs on your forehead that can sense slight breezes.

Or maybe you are psychic. Whatever makes you happy.

The electromagnetic field caused by brain activity is quite minuscule. Detecting it from a distance isn’t really feasible. Even with modern EEGs, the electrodes are placed directly on the scalp. Plus, there is no structure in the brain that could act as an antenna to pick up such a small field.

I think it’s more likely that the sound of your mom moving about the room, combined with your partially-asleep state, resulted in the tingling sensation.

Or maybe she actually brushed a lock of hair away from your forehead as you slept.

Or maybe you dreamt the whole tingling sensation, and she never actually came anywhere near you.

In a situation such as this, it makes no sense to immediately jump to the conclusion that you have psychic powers (picking up other’s brain waves).

I believe that the tingling sensation is purely psychological, as others have stated. I know exactly what you’re talking about: when we were kids, my brother and I used to do the finger-just-barely-over-forehead thing to each other to annoy each other. Later on, though, I realized that the physical finger wasn’t necessary; just the thought of it hovering there would start the strange tingling feeling. Now, strangely enough, I don’t even need to imagine a finger; I can just turn the pressure on and off by wanting/not wanting it.

(off topic) How peculiar…there’s no underscore after the “about” in my source text…on preview, I can see that it still shows up even in this one, but it’s not there in the reply box!

I feel this definitely! I thought I was the only one. If someone brings their finger pointing at my forehead, and slowly advances it, I get this horrible tingly feeling which makes me crazy. It persists for several minutes afterward. I can’t stand it and I never let anyone do it to me.