The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 01-23-2004, 07:29 AM

What are cuttlebones made of?

Haven't been able to find toys, treats, large cages, or even cuttlebones for birds. Would like to make my own cuttlebone if that is possible. Any suggestions? I googled "cuttlebone recipes" but kept coming up with recipes that INCLUDED cuttlebone. Where does cuttlebone come from anyway?
Advertisements  
Old 01-23-2004, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuLife
Where does cuttlebone come from anyway?
From Cuttlefish? I can remember being told that when I was young, but I thought Cuttlefish were like Octopus, no bone structure of any sort.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:37 AM

Cuttlefish are a species of squid. You can find their cuttlebones washed up on beaches, and they're a delicacy in China. Lots of pcitures!
Old 01-23-2004, 07:39 AM
Charter Member

It comes from the cuttlefish's internal shell.

Quote:
Cuttlebone is the calcareous internal shell of a cuttlefish. A cuttlefish is a cephalopod, related to squids and octopi. They have eight arms and two tentacles. They eject a black ink-like fluid when in danger. In fact, the outer, hard shell is often stained with this black ink. They are found in oceans all over the world. I have even picked up nice pieces of cuttlebone while walking along the beach in Australia.
So, calling it "cuttlebone" is a partial misnomer.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:40 AM
BANNED

Cuttlebone is mostly chalk:
Quote:
AN ANALYSIS OF A SAMPLE OF CUTTLEBONE

Acid insolubles 1.4%
Moisture content 2.3%
Organic content 8.9%
Calcium 85% Calcium Carbonate
Magnesium 0.42 % Magnesium Carbonate
Potassium 63 mg/kg
Total Kjeldahl Nitrogen 8,300 mg/kg
Total Phosphate 20 mg/kg

HEAVY METALS (mg/kg = parts per million)

Zinc 167
Iron 101
Cobalt 19
Copper 11
Manganese 8

The following heavy metals were not detected above the detection limit of 1 mg/kg: arsenic, cadrniura, chromium, lead, mercury, molybdenum, nickel, silver,and tin.
And of course, it really does come from cuttlefish.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:32 AM

Try eBay - search for cuttlebone, and you should fine several hits.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:52 AM

Cool~! Thanks everyone~! Guess I'll have to haul out the ole' dictionary and get ready because luckily, the traditional five day market is tomorrow and I might be able to find a cuttle fish. Wow...birdies will be happy--new cage tomorrow and hopefully I'll have that cuttle bone ready by tomorrow evening. Now I just have to figure out how to make birdie toys and we're all set.

<P>
I've got to get to the mainland some day soon and stock up on dog, bird, fish, and guinea pig supplies. This island has very little for pets.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Wolf
It comes from the cuttlefish's internal shell.

Thanks for the link! I am going to go through that site now. I've been reading up on birds ever since I got them, but I hadn't found that site yet.
Old 01-23-2004, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmostylus
And of course, it really does come from cuttlefish.
Yikes!! That is really scary looking! I'll print up that picture and bring it with me to the market just in case the fish ajummas can't understand my Ulsan dialect.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JejuLife
Now I just have to figure out how to make birdie toys and we're all set.
My birds have always liked fresh willow branches, with leaves, as well as apple branches and those from other fruit trees. Make sure the branches haven't been sprayed with insecticde or other chemicals. They like to shred the leaves and bark.

Wooden spools such as used for sewing thread (if you can find wooden spools anymore) can provide hours of amusement.

Small pieces of wood or leather strung on a leather thong and hung from a cage makes a good toy - if you aren't sure if the dyes in leather or wood are toxic or not, avoid colored leather and wood. Colored fruit peels strung on a thong will also work, as long as the peels are thoroughly cleaned. Also, they don't last forever, so you'll have to replace them frequently.

A small metal mirror (make sure sides aren't sharp!) can provide endless hours of amusement

Shiny objects too large to swallow and too tough to chew into pieces can also provide amusement.

Also, mine like to watch TV. For some odd reason, my newest cockatiel is particularly interested in any program with fork lifts. Go figure. I doubt he's ever seen a forklift in real life, and if he did, he'd probably think it was going to eat him. My other cockatiel used to hide behind a pillow on the couch whenever nature specials showed a close-up of insects, then peek around a corner of the pillow to keep an eye on the "monster". Very cute.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:24 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Wolf
No, it isn't. The name of the shell is the "cuttlebone." It's no misnomer to call something by it's proper name.

Whether the name is a 100% accurate discription is completely irrelevant. I would think that would be obvious for someone who calls himself a "wolf." Do you have four paws and a tail? Is calling you "Ice Wolf" a misnomer when you're not actually a wolf?
Old 01-23-2004, 10:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Broomstick
Wooden spools such as used for sewing thread (if you can find wooden spools anymore) can provide hours of amusement.
You won't find thread on wooden spools, but you can get just the spools for cheap in any big craft store. Look in the aisle with all the unfinished wooden odds and ends. I don't know if that kind of craft store is common in the OP's neck of the woods, but I'm sure they could be mail ordered.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Green Bean
You won't find thread on wooden spools, but you can get just the spools for cheap in any big craft store. Look in the aisle with all the unfinished wooden odds and ends. I don't know if that kind of craft store is common in the OP's neck of the woods, but I'm sure they could be mail ordered.
Hehehehehe....my neck of the woods is a small island off the southern coast of South Korea. Takes about an hour by plane to get to the mainland. Craft stores haven't really caught in Korea yet....not like the ones in the West. Tomorrow, there will be the huge 5-day traditional market where you can buy everything from fish or chickens beheaded and gutted right there for you, to fingernail clippers, to clothes, etc. etc. etc. I'm sure I can find something I can use to create some toys. And, if not, I'll head up to Jeju City either tomorrow or next week and pester the taxi drivers into finding me a store that sells anything at all bird-related. (if one exists....Seogwipo people say, "no".)

Right now, they have some broken spirals of shells I found on the beach. I tied them to some thread and hung them in the corner. Don't worry; no sharp edges....these have been WELL pounded by the waves. I tried hard to scratch myself with them first to be sure that they would be safe. Apparently, they aren't interesting though. Guess I'll have to try harder. Also, several of my students have parents who are tangerine farmers....I'll see if I can get a few branches. (Tangerines are famous here for no-use of pesticides...so that's safe.) I'm also thinking about getting a really large shell for them to use as a bathtub. Gotta do something to cheer them up. I clipped their wings today and they are STILL sulking about it. Hahahaha....the horrified look of Rhyme's face when she saw her mate with the abbreviated wing feathers was priceless. And man are they ever biters! They left red marks all over my hands....and I was wearing thick rubber kitchen gloves! Least now, with the wings clipped, I'll have a better chance to tame them. (I hope.)
Old 01-23-2004, 12:22 PM

If you have access to kool-aid, get some bits of wood and soak them in the kool-aid. This will give them color, scent and flavor. My birds used to love that.