The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-06-2004, 02:59 PM

Did Clyde the orangutan's owner really beat him to death?

This was posted in another unrelated thread in Cafe Society, and I wanted to run it past people here in GQ for clarification. (Emphasis mine.)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sampiro
What's your favorite performance by an animal in a motion picture or television show?

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Mine would either be Kid Shelleen's horse in Cat Ballou or Jane Curtin's hyper-humpy dog on Third Rock from the Sun. (I try not to watch any movie or TV show with a monkey because 1- they usually suck and 2- there's a long and horrible history of chimps/orangutans/etc. being horribly abused by their handlers (e.g. Buddha, who played Clyde in the Clint Eastwood movies, was literally beaten to death while Larry Hovis, Richard Dawson, John Banner and Werner Klemperer all walked off the set of an episode of Hogan's Heroes because the trainer of a monkey in the episode was beating him with chains when he wouldn't obey commands.)

Is this really true? I did a little Googling on the topic, and found some claims to the effect, but most of them were on anti-animal cruelty sites and other PETA offshoots.

Did this really happen?

Official Doper Brat Inductee, 2004
Advertisements  
Old 02-06-2004, 03:33 PM

Something's fishy here.

For one thing, IMDB.com shows that the name of the orangutan is Manis, not Buddha.

For another, the "Cyde died" sites I found through Google never listed the name of the orangutan as "Manis". It was invariably "Clyde the orangutan died a few months after shooting. Etc. etc."

Googling "Manis, orangutan, Clyde" brings up a few sites, none of which mention the orangutan's demise.

I suspect urban legend, unless I see better information.
Old 02-06-2004, 04:22 PM
Charter Member

Some of the confusion is because apparently more than one orangutan played Clyde. Manis is credited with Every Which Way But Loose (1978), but not Any Which Way You Can (1980). This site says Manis was replaced in the sequel because he had grown too big, but did not name his successor.

The interesting thing is that all the sites that refer to Clyde as Buddha all have the same paragraph about the supposed beating, and appear to have been submitted by the same person:
Quote:
Interesting that none of these reviews mentions the fact that Clyde (who was named Buddha by his trainers) was beaten so severely (for stealing doughnuts on the set) by his trainers that he died of brain hemorrhage. They replaced him, quietly, for the sequal. Primates are brutally dominated by their trainers in order to do the smallest actions (like smiling, which is a sign or fear in the wild). It isn't entertaining, it's cruel. Don't spend money on films that exploit animals. Grow up.
I also suspect a disinformation campaign by a single animal rights activist.