The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 02-12-2004, 12:37 PM

Military Commands at Flag Ceremonies

What is the command heard at military flag ceremonies to start saluting the flag, and what is the command to stop the salute? The latter command sounds like “tuh,” but I don’t know if I’m hearing it right. And whatever the command is, what is the correct spelling of it?
Advertisements  
Old 02-12-2004, 02:55 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jebert
What is the command heard at military flag ceremonies to start saluting the flag, and what is the command to stop the salute? The latter command sounds like ďtuh,Ē but I donít know if Iím hearing it right. And whatever the command is, what is the correct spelling of it?
The command to start is "Present Arms"
The command to stop is "Order Arms"

Depending on the accent of the squad leader it can sound like just about anything, but thats what he's saying.
Old 02-12-2004, 03:21 PM
Charter Member

"Present arms" is generally used when there are weapons to be "presented". Alternatively, a command of "hand salute" may be given, with the return to attention being merely "to", uttered in a staccato manner. This is probably what you heard.
Old 02-12-2004, 08:48 PM

That "to" is what I've heard in the BSA as well. I always heard it as "two," and thought it was a verbal count so that everyone returned to attention in unison. It's funny to hear the boys say it, when it is clearly a command that should be said by the "commading officer" alone.

Vlad/Igor
Old 02-12-2004, 10:56 PM

I threw away my training order when I left Basic, but it was "present arms" and "order arms" even though we weren't armed. There wasn't a command "hand salute".

"Present" and "Order" were preparatory commands, the first half of a command that told you something was coming to which you had to respond and what kind of action it would be.

"Arms" was the execution bit.

Hand wasn't one of the preparatory commands

Of course, it never sounded like "Present Arms" or "Order Arms" because it's normally very hard to sound impressive saying those things. Everyone had their own style. It usually came out "He Sent (wait, wait, wait) Harms!!!"

It also has something to do with making your voice carry to a large group of people in an open area with poor acoustics without having your voice crack.

Try it. Holler out "Attention!" and sound authoritative. Now holler out "Ten Hut".

Now tack on the preparatory command so people know who you are addressing. "Flight (or Squadron or Room) Ten Hut!" Sounds a hell of a lot better than "Flight, Attention!"
Old 02-12-2004, 11:09 PM
Charter Member

"Hand Salute" is a command that is executed as quickly or as slowly as the commander says it (I know, kinda weird).

If the commander orders "Hand . . . Salute!", then the formation would snap and hold . . . drop. If the commander orders "Hand . . . . . . . . . Salute!", the formation would snap up and . . . . . . . . . drop.

I forget the protocol behind the 'Hand Salute', since 9 times out of 10, you're going to do a "Present/Order Arms" command anyway.

Shit, I doubt I could order a proper "Column Left/Right" anymore.

Tripler
Don't ask. . . that's a whole other ball of wax.