The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > In My Humble Opinion (IMHO)

Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
  #1  
Old 02-21-2004, 04:31 PM
gyt_fx gyt_fx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Best game console Controller

I didn't find any "Best game console controller" threads, so I made one myself:

Which game console controller do you think is better?

This is based on the versatility for All kinds of games: FPS's, Fighting Games, everything.

(It's mainly between the new console controllers... which excludes them Ataris and caleco(sp?) visions).
Reply With Quote
Advertisements  
  #2  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:23 PM
Doomtrain Doomtrain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Best one ever is the Genesis controller. Nothing has fit my hand like it before or since (the XBox S Controller is nice, but a little too big). Your hands just kinda...glided onto the Genesis controller. Everything was in reach and the D-pad was smooth as buttah. I even got some rubber pad things for my NES controller that gave it that Genesis-rounded shape.

The original controller for the XBox is the worst I've ever played with. It was a monstrosity.
Reply With Quote
  #3  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:44 PM
Iteki Iteki is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I gotta say I really liked the n64 controller. As you say, my hands just fit it so well, my fingers were on all the right buttons without even thinking.
Reply With Quote
  #4  
Old 02-21-2004, 05:55 PM
SmackFu SmackFu is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
My favorite is the original Gamecube controller. But I actually use the Wavebird, because the wireless outweighs the slight failings I have with the ergonomics.

Worst is the Dreamcast controller, because I can't play it straight-wristed and there is only one way to put your hands on it.
Reply With Quote
  #5  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:04 PM
Moo the Magic Cow Moo the Magic Cow is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
The Saturn controller. Not the big bulky one, the little one that came with my system because I bought it a year after it came out(http://www.vidgame.net/SEGA/Sega/Saturn/saturn_cont.jpg.

Anyway, I love it because it's perfect for fighting games. It has the three punches and the three kicks, and the special moves on the shoulder triggers....
Reply With Quote
  #6  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:07 PM
Ephemera Ephemera is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2002
The PSX and PS2 controller.
Reply With Quote
  #7  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:12 PM
Ender_Will Ender_Will is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2003
The original, big Xbox controller. I've got fairly big hands, as do most of my friends, so the size was a plus. We played a lot of Halo when it first came out, and the controller was perfectly designed for the game. The Xbox s is OK, but not as good.

The PS controller gets some sort of honorable mention though.
Reply With Quote
  #8  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:18 PM
JoeSki JoeSki is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I've always loved the dual shock controller. The buttons are always close to your fingers, never out of the way, and the thing just fits like a glove. I think it works for every type of game out there, though many people have said they hate playing FPSs with it. I don't understand why though. I own a few FPSs and I think it works just fine with shooters.

My least favorite is the N64 controller. I never got the hang of using those 4 yellow buttons, and it was a pain in the butt to use on fighting games. Also they broke easily too.
Reply With Quote
  #9  
Old 02-21-2004, 06:32 PM
Amp Amp is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jun 2000
Best controllers for consoles: Gamecube Controller

Best for FPS and RTS: Keyboard and Mouse
Reply With Quote
  #10  
Old 02-21-2004, 07:53 PM
RandomLetters RandomLetters is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
The Playstation dual-shock controllers are near perfect; all the buttons fit my hands just correctly; I even got a dual-shock clone for my computer. The Gamecube controller is pretty good as well. The N64 controller looked goofy, and only had a single analog sticks but it worked well enough. Older controllers(NES, SNES, Genesis, ect) are all just too small.

And the X-Box controllers are oversized demon-spawned abominations. The guys at Microsoft who designed them should be shot. And hanged. And set on fire. At the same time.
Reply With Quote
  #11  
Old 02-21-2004, 09:47 PM
asterion asterion is offline
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member
 
Join Date: Jul 2002
Location: Guilderland, NY
Posts: 9,876
I've never undestood the Genesis controller. Why THREE buttons instead of four?
Reply With Quote
  #12  
Old 02-21-2004, 10:44 PM
Tentacle Monster Tentacle Monster is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2003
I'd have to agree with the folks who say PS/PS2 Dual Shock. A close second is the GameCube controller. The button layout seems a little odd at first, but then it makes sense in that most games have one button you use more than the others. Why not make it real big and accessible?

The Dreamcast controller wasn't too bad for me.

Worst controller: Xbox. Second worst: N64.

Dishonorable Mention: Arcade machine controls. They're at the exact height where my hand is at a 90 degree angle to my forearm. Gets painful after a while.
Reply With Quote
  #13  
Old 02-21-2004, 10:58 PM
Vaioman Vaioman is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2002
I love my mas super pro stick(http://www.massystems.com/PS.jpg)

but as far as normal controls go, I like the saturn pad alot, but rarely use mine anymore .
Dualshock 2 is my current 'most used' control, so it has started to grow on me. However, my boss has a Mad Catz wireless for ps2 that he won't shut up about, and I really want one, but we don't get them in at work too often.
Reply With Quote
  #14  
Old 02-21-2004, 11:51 PM
Zsofia Zsofia is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
I love my Gamecube controller, it's the only one I've ever had that really fit my girly hands. The N64 and PS1 Dual Shock were close, but the Gamecube is better, and I'm never button hunting. I think it's lovely in its design.

Worst is original XBox controller, hands down (no pun intended). I don't believe they ever thought a girl would pick one up. Ever. The S kind is better, but it's still too big and not intuitive.
Reply With Quote
  #15  
Old 02-22-2004, 01:16 AM
Arturius Arturius is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
Japanese XBox controller


Ive got GIANT hands though, seemed to fit perfectly. Maybe I was the only test subject when they made it up, cause I think im the only one who really likes em
Reply With Quote
  #16  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:34 AM
Jayn_Newell Jayn_Newell is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
The playstation controllers are my favorites. I don't get to play console games very often, so anything that isn't too difficult to get used to I like. These fit the bill. The N64 controller is pretty nice too. I kinda like the four c-buttons, and it fits well in my hands no matter which position I'm holding it in.

I can't stand the gamecube controller. Who decided how they were going to arrange the buttons? The L and R buttons feel weird, and I can never remember for the life of me which is the a button and which is the b without looking down (ditto for x/y/z). It's also not as comfortable to hold.
Reply With Quote
  #17  
Old 02-22-2004, 12:59 PM
Thirty-Nine Thirty-Nine is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2004
People seem to either love or hate the Nintendo 64 controller, and I must confess it is my favourite. I always found it intuitive to use, and the addition of grooves around the 3D stick made the transition from the D-Pad easier.
Reply With Quote
  #18  
Old 02-22-2004, 03:38 PM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Original N64 controller, no question. So very intuitive; you never had to look down to figure out what was what, and the "switch hand positions for stick use" method was perfect. I will admit that I didn't like the fact that the stick wore out after about six months of heavy usage.

I'm fond of the PS/PS2 Dual Shock, but I despise the Logitech Dual Action (dual-shock clone for PC) that I bought to play Madden '04 on my PC... the stick has almost an eighth of an inch of free play around the straight-ahead, and needs recalibrating every five seconds.

Least favorite has to be the original X-Box controller. I've got huge hands (or at least, extremely long fingers) and it's too damn big even for me.
Reply With Quote
  #19  
Old 02-22-2004, 03:58 PM
kinoons kinoons is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2000
Microsoft Stragtic Commander

Its not much of a joystick, but on FPS type games, the stragtic commander works wonders. I use the MSSC implace of the ASDW inverted T on the keyboard, and I use my mouse for directional looking/contoll. Between my mouse (7 buttons) and the MSSC (8 buttons, 3 shift buttons = 32 buttons) there are more buttons than I need for changing weps and such.

Because it was not designed for this taks, getting it setup to work as a directional controller is a pain. But once I got it to work, its beautiful.

now using it for what it is made for -- starcraft type RTS games -- its pretty damn cool too.
Reply With Quote
  #20  
Old 02-22-2004, 04:47 PM
Moo the Magic Cow Moo the Magic Cow is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2001
Quote:
Originally Posted by asterion
I've never undestood the Genesis controller. Why THREE buttons instead of four?
NES had two buttons
then Genesis came out with its 3 buttons and 16 bits
then the SNES with four buttons and l,r triggers.
then the Genesis started selling a six button controller for use with games like Street Fighter 2

what's so intuitive about four? All you need most of the time is 2 or 3
Reply With Quote
  #21  
Old 02-22-2004, 07:32 PM
MarsDragon MarsDragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Sep 2000
Personally I'll put in a vote for the old Jaguar controller. Maybe it wasn't the best system overall (though it had some killer games), but the controller...aw man. Once it was in your hands, you knew it was meant to play. So far it's the only controller to perfectly fit my hands. The Xbox was okay, but the trigger buttons were too far in, and it wasn't as intutive. Maybe it only had three buttons, but the phone pad was nice and easy to use after a bit of practice. And besides, you could fix the old Atari 2600 dial to it instead of the D-pad and play Tempest the way it was meant to be played. All in all, a great controller.
Reply With Quote
  #22  
Old 02-23-2004, 09:27 AM
ElwoodCuse ElwoodCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
It depends on the game. For FPSs and racers, the Xbox controller S. For sports games, action/platformers, and trick games (SSX/Tony Hawk/etc.), the PS2 Dual Shock.

I hate the GameCube controller and GBA SP (although I do own one). More buttons plz, kthx. The GBA just screams "four face buttons", especially since they are porting so many SNES games.
Reply With Quote
  #23  
Old 02-23-2004, 09:33 AM
gyt_fx gyt_fx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Well.. took a while for me to post MY opinion eh .

My vote is Xbox Controller S.
The analog for the left thumb is in the right spot. The right one is in a perfect spot for easily switching between that and the buttons. Oh, the buttons. Perfect... soft... round... bubbly... You know where I am getting at. The L and R triggers are so good to my fingers...

Now, PS dual shock controllers were my favorite for awhile. I played my original Playstation A LOT. Then the Gamecube and Xbox came out. I originally reeled towards the Gamecube controller... since it was so perfect for Super Smash Bros Melee, and the damn Xbox controller was a bit bigger than anything I had experienced in my hands... (But not near as bad as you guys say... I have small hands [I'm 5'6], and it's still usable and better than some controllers).

But when Xbox Controller S came out, I got an Xbox. For that sole reason too... I liked Xbox but the controller was lacking... and the price hadn't gone down yet... so I waited for that.

If you truly think Gamecube or PS2 controllers, I'd love to hear your reasons why compared to Xbox S; Because it is likely I can easily manage countering any statements.
Reply With Quote
  #24  
Old 02-23-2004, 12:56 PM
Max Carnage Max Carnage is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Dec 2001
Who can argue with the Atari 2600? One button, one self-centering stick, nothing to screw up. Plus it also worked on the C-64 and Vic-20!

I really did like the feel of the N64 controller. The C-buttons were smaller and all yellow so they could be designed to work independantly of the others, but there were also aligned with the A and B buttons so they were perfect for 6 button fighting games. And the Z-Trigger? Tell me it wasn't perfect for playing Goldeneye. It's a TRIGGER for crying out loud!

I really hate the layout of the Gamecube/Wavebird buttons. Absolutely good for nothing. One giant button and 3 smaller ones surrounding it. 3 shoulder buttons? Why not even it out and make two on each shoulder? Plus I always feel like I'm going to break the left analog stick.
Reply With Quote
  #25  
Old 02-23-2004, 03:43 PM
UrbanChic UrbanChic is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2000
In my opinion, of course...

Best: Gamecube. It fits just right.

Worst: XBox. Way too big for me and my hand cramps up when playing Xmen Vs. Street Fighter.
Reply With Quote
  #26  
Old 02-23-2004, 11:59 PM
Teelo Teelo is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2002
People people people!
The Gamecube controller is NOT cool!! I don't own a console of my own but I have my experiences. The "Z" button is hard to push, and easily forgotton about. The "B" button always breaks. Good job Nintendo. You must of missed that in the initial testing. (Funny, how the much more expensive and unnecessary 'Wavebird' doesn't have this problem)

the X-box controller is HUGE. Too huge! Think of the little ones!!

The BEST controller I have ever seen is definetly the PSX2 controller.
8 easy to press buttons. 2 easy smooth non breaking joysticks. And it feels like pushing your fingers in to a warm stick of vibrating butter!
Reply With Quote
  #27  
Old 02-24-2004, 12:29 AM
Doomtrain Doomtrain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Yea, I've played with the Cube controller and it's just...awkward.

I think the PS/2 controller is the most useful/well laid out, but it lacks the elegant grace of the Genesis controller. It doesn't have enough heft to be truly satisfying when flung in a fit of despair.
Reply With Quote
  #28  
Old 02-24-2004, 09:41 AM
unixrat unixrat is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Regardless of what the thread creator said about Atari controllers not being included, the Tac-2 (halfway down) is the best controller ever. I still have one, 15 years later. Still works like new.

The Jaguar Pro controller is mighty fine too.

I've only got a gamecube now, but the controllers are a weak c-. Some good points, but the button layout is terrible. Give me a Dreamcast controller anyday.
Reply With Quote
  #29  
Old 02-24-2004, 12:47 PM
ElwoodCuse ElwoodCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
All the "Xbox controller is HUGE" people have seen the S version, right?

http://www.ebgames.com/ebx/product/219506.asp

The games that I like the PS2 controller for are mostly because of the four shoulder buttons. Great for button-intensive games like Madden or SSX. But you can't beat analog triggers for racing games ("analog buttons" my ass, Gran Turismo 3).
Reply With Quote
  #30  
Old 02-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Blue Dragon Blue Dragon is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
I haven't really found a "best" controller for me. All of them seem to have some things right (except the XBox controller - tHat is just a hunk of plastic) but I can't think of any that stand out to me. The PS2 controller isn't too bad, however.
Reply With Quote
  #31  
Old 02-24-2004, 04:45 PM
Doomtrain Doomtrain is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElwoodCuse
All the "Xbox controller is HUGE" people have seen the S version, right?
Yea. I own two of them. But I was talking about the original XBox controller, which was more beast than machine.
Reply With Quote
  #32  
Old 02-24-2004, 09:51 PM
gyt_fx gyt_fx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Yes, we Xboxers agree that they f'd up bigtime with the big controllers. But S controllers are great.

The reason I said the statement about excluding ataris and such? Because this is a battle between the big 3. Or.. the big two and gamecube.
Reply With Quote
  #33  
Old 02-24-2004, 10:14 PM
Asylum Asylum is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Personally I'm in love with the Gamecube controller. Although it does admittedly have a "kiddie" look, itís one of the best, well rounded controllers Iíve ever used.

Somebody already mentioned the large A button and how that makes sense with most games where there is one main button you hit, but another thing I love is how the X and Y buttons are slightly raised, so if you need to hit two buttons at once all you have to do is keep the your thumb planted on the A button and roll it onto the X or Y button (or B with a little more effort). Brilliant. Try doing that with an X-Box controller (well, maybe if you have large thumbs, but after hours of Halo playing time I still can't do it).

Also, I've owned a Gamecube since the first week it came out and have never had a problem with the B button breaking, even though I've put a lot of mileage on the controllers (and when my buddies come over to play Mario Kart, Timesplitters or whatever they get a lot of mileage). I'm still using the controller that came with the system and I havenít had a problem with it yet.

I will admit, however, that the Z button is poorly placed, and although you get used to it after awhile and it's not much of a problem to use it is definitely not intuitively placed.
Reply With Quote
  #34  
Old 02-24-2004, 11:38 PM
emekthian emekthian is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Nov 2003
I like the Gamecube and PS controllers about equally. The N64 and XBOX S tie for second (I didn't like that you couldn't reach all the buttons on the N64 controller without switching hand posistions). The SNES controller is also good.

The best controller, however, is the keyboard:

A=A
S=B
D=X
F=Y
E=left
R=right
Arrow keys=D-PAD

in ZSNES
Reply With Quote
  #35  
Old 02-25-2004, 02:22 AM
Banquet Bear Banquet Bear is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2002
Quote:
Originally Posted by Max Carnage
Who can argue with the Atari 2600? One button, one self-centering stick, nothing to screw up. Plus it also worked on the C-64 and Vic-20!
...and the Amiga as well...it was the best joystick of all time-still haven't found anything to match it on my PC...

Quote:

I really did like the feel of the N64 controller. The C-buttons were smaller and all yellow so they could be designed to work independantly of the others, but there were also aligned with the A and B buttons so they were perfect for 6 button fighting games. And the Z-Trigger? Tell me it wasn't perfect for playing Goldeneye. It's a TRIGGER for crying out loud!

...and my second favourite controller!!! Plus a mention of my favourite game... are you reading my mind?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blue Dragon
I haven't really found a "best" controller for me. All of them seem to have some things right (except the XBox controller - tHat is just a hunk of plastic) but I can't think of any that stand out to me. The PS2 controller isn't too bad, however.
...good to see you again, Dragon!!!
Reply With Quote
  #36  
Old 02-25-2004, 10:51 AM
Really Not All That Bright Really Not All That Bright is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: May 2003
Quote:
Originally Posted by unixrat
Regardless of what the thread creator said about Atari controllers not being included, the Tac-2 (halfway down) is the best controller ever. I still have one, 15 years later. Still works like new.
Dude.. thank you so much.

I cried when I saw the Quickshot II which allowed me to collect infinite golden eggs, pick up uncountable civilians from burning buildings, blow up squillions of evil space pirates, and so on.

(On the BBC Micro, incidentally, which my dad bought my brother the week after I was born)
Reply With Quote
  #37  
Old 02-25-2004, 11:37 AM
Jurph Jurph is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Oct 2003
If the Wavebird had analog triggers like the X-Box, and a second Z-button somewhere on the top surface (maybe on the left?) it would be nearly-perfect. If it were the size of the PS2 controller, I think I'd be in heaven; the Wavebird is a little clunky for me, but I'm getting used to it.

I'm easily confused by the PS2's "mystery shapes" buttons--pink hearts, green circles, blue moons, and purple horseshoes might make more sense if they weren't in such a symmetrical layout, but as it is, I always end up pressing the left one when I want to do the action that goes with the right one. Because you never LOOK at them while you play, I still can't tell you which goes where on the controller, so when someone is yelling "block! block! Use the SQUARE BUTTON!" I am lost. They're also all the same size and shape, so there's not the intuitive "hit the big one" playability that the GC controller gives you.

Still, for me the best controller ever is keybord+mouse: left hand on the WASD inverted-T left thumb on the spacebar and left pinkie on Shift/Ctrl/Alt for spare actions. Middle finger can pop up and skate across the number row for (relatively) fast weapon selection, or the scroll wheel can be used if it doesn't do something else cool.
Reply With Quote
  #38  
Old 02-25-2004, 10:41 PM
gyt_fx gyt_fx is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Mar 2003
Heres a lil rundown on my view of the controllers.

Xbox controllers OWN for FPS's (Does Halo come to mind?). You actually pull a trigger to shoot. Gamecube has a trigger, but the controller just Sucks for them and the C stick is TERRIBLE for aiming [and any other way of aiming on a controller is just not right].
PS2 controllers, you press a button to shoot.. not too exciting. Plus, the thumbstick is just not as nice to the touch as XBOX, and not as smooth and not in the right spots (The left one keeps your thumb to far from its original place on the hand, and it should be wear the [hard and uncomfortable] d pad is).

PS2 wins by a lil the fighting game/THPS genre. Although the D pad is hard and uncomfortable, it is all set apart from eachother; making it easier to not press up left left down right instead of up left left down up. The L/R1+2 are great for different kind of moves and combos.
But Xbox isn't too far behind, still good and comfortable; and Gamecube just sucks.. again.

Sports games: PS2 and Xbox are about the same, like the Fighting game/THPS genre. PS2 may be a lil ahead, mainly because of the L/R1+2 buttons for different functions. Gamecube is also not too far behind, because of the location of the big A button for overused functions, but is still not as good as XBOX or PS2.

Summary:
PS2 has bad D-pad/left thumbstick location, and Thumbstick not as nice as XBOX.
XBOX has a great trigger for shooters and some other games, but not as good for some games that need over 20 different functions.
Gamecube is good if there is one button that a newbie needs to use a lot of just that one button. The right Thumbstick Sucks[and left one is better than PS2's, but not as good as XBOX.]
Reply With Quote
  #39  
Old 02-26-2004, 01:49 PM
ElwoodCuse ElwoodCuse is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Aug 2000
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jurph
I'm easily confused by the PS2's "mystery shapes" buttons--pink hearts, green circles, blue moons, and purple horseshoes might make more sense if they weren't in such a symmetrical layout, but as it is, I always end up pressing the left one when I want to do the action that goes with the right one. Because you never LOOK at them while you play, I still can't tell you which goes where on the controller, so when someone is yelling "block! block! Use the SQUARE BUTTON!" I am lost. They're also all the same size and shape, so there's not the intuitive "hit the big one" playability that the GC controller gives you.
After a while it becomes second nature as to which button is where.

But when I got an Xbox I was doubly confused, because the Xbox "X" = the PS2 square, and not only that but it uses ABXY in a different pattern than the Super Nintendo did.
Reply With Quote
  #40  
Old 02-26-2004, 07:05 PM
grisham grisham is offline
Guest
 
Join Date: Feb 2004
I like both the playstation controllers and the super nintendo controller. They just seem to fit my hands better than others do. Also the button scheme makes more sense.
Reply With Quote
Reply

Bookmarks

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is Off
HTML code is Off

Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 12:13 PM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.

Send questions for Cecil Adams to: cecil@chicagoreader.com

Send comments about this website to: webmaster@straightdope.com

Terms of Use / Privacy Policy

Advertise on the Straight Dope!
(Your direct line to thousands of the smartest, hippest people on the planet, plus a few total dipsticks.)

Publishers - interested in subscribing to the Straight Dope?
Write to: sdsubscriptions@chicagoreader.com.

Copyright © 2013 Sun-Times Media, LLC.