What makes people's noses "honk"?

I’ve been woken often by my early rising roommate whose nose honks incredibly loudly when he blows it. I’ve never been able to achieve such a noise myself, no matter how hard I blew. Is it some kind of tissue paper technique, is it just how hard you blow, or is just the shape of some people’s noses/nasal cavities?

I think it’s just that some people haven’t realized you can blow air through your nasal passages without making noise. Try it yourself. Blow your nose like you normally do, then do it again, but this time, instead of just blowing really hard, make a nasal sort of humming noise as you do it instead. You should achieve that honk like your friend makes.

It’s the same as loud sneezers. Some people, like my mother, don’t realize that you can just let the air come out by itself and it won’t make such a God-awful racket.

I know what you mean about sneezing, but I don’t think this is the case. Sneezes happen at a variety of pitches and with various modulations depending upon the severity, but the nose “honking” of my roommate, for example, happens at pretty much the same pitch without any sort of variation. This would take some kind of training to achieve vocally I would think.

Honker checking in, it is not a humming noise, is it unquestionably a vibration of something inside the nose (for me at least). If I don’t place the tissue around my nose, but just hold it up to it the vibration and noise does not happen.

I have also found that making that vibration (and noise) makes noise clearing much much more effective.