I accidentally Put Softener In where the soap should go

I turned the washing machine on right away, but will my cloths be spotted?
Thanks

While I have no factual evidence to back me up, I’ve never lied to you before. I made this mistake once before, with no ill effects. I’ve also put soap in where the bleach goes, and nothing happened, either. I ran both loads through again, properly, just to make sure they were clean.

Thanks, if it isn’t harmful(probably), tehn I don’t have to ask how I would fix the spots. I might as well, if my clothing does have spots, it’s game over isn;t it? Or is there someway to take the spots out that the softener makes (my mom told me that clothing softener can cause white spots)?

I’ve never heard of softener leaving spots. I have heard of powdered detergent leaving “spots”, but it’s just undissolved soap. It rinses off if you put them through another rinse.

Laundry hints from a guy… :cool:

Ladies, I cook, too!

Unless I’m missing something, wouldn’t this just mean that the softener would be added to the wash water, instead of to the rinse water? I don’t see how that could cause any harm. At worst, it would mean that the softener would have less effect, since the clothes would be rinsed in plain water after the cycle that included the softener.

Of course, once you’ve filled that dispenser with softener, there’s no place to put the detergent, so you’d have to just dump it directly into the washer, but that’s how a lot of washers operate, anyway. My cheapo has no cups or dispensers. You just measure the detergent, dump it in, turn on the water, start the washer, and load the clothes as it’s filling up. You want softener? Wait for the rinse cycle to start, open the top, and dump it in.

Fabric sodtener often contains the same sort of conditioning ingredients used in hair conditioner – cationic (positively charged) surfactants. If added to the wash water, these surfactants can react with the anionic (negatively charged) surfactants in the laundry detergent, producing an insoluble sludge that may remain on clothing and gum up the washer’s plumbing. I don’t know about spotting, but I’d wash the clothes again to make sure they’re clean.