Johnny Cash vs. Frank Sinatra

1. No, not in a bare-knuckled bar brawl. You only get to listen to one iconic 20th century male performer for the rest of your life, the Man in Black or the Chairman of the Board. The guy who transcends country vs. the guy who transcends vocal jazz.

I’ll take Sinatra, myself. Not just because it’s his world and I’m living in it, although I can’t rule that out as a factor. But I think that while their high points are equally nosebleed-inducing, Cash’s catalog features more stuff that I’m indifferent to, or that I actively dislike. Plus I’ve always been a sucker for the rebel in a suit.

Who do you pick, and whose work will you only ever hear again in the echo chamber of your own memory?

1. Okay, bare-knuckled bar brawl. This time my money’s on Cash. You?
  1. Sinatra, all the way. (I’m just not a Cash fan. Sorry.)

2. Sinatra. Uh… he was a bad ass. And Cash doesn’t have the Rat Pack backing him up.

Oh and be very, very careful. I posted a thread about Frank once and Sinatra fans are very… tenacious. Hope you know what you are doing. :slight_smile:

Good topic!

I gotta go with Cash. He’s the man, in both contexts …

Cash for both.

Sinatra’s music is great, but I was brought up on country, so Cash is the one. In the bar fight, Sinatra would need the Rat Pack to get anywhere, and in any proper bar the patrons would insist on a fair fight, one on one, with no ganging up.

I was assuming that this would be a mano-a-mano kind of fight. No Rat Pack, no June Carter. That’s why I gotta go with Cash for this one.

Hmmm. If I had to choose one fruit to eat for the rest of my life, would I choose apples, or oranges?

Sinatra is a far superior singer, but if I had to choose just one, I’d go with the Man in Black. His catalog of work is far more diverse.

Mods! lissener’s trying to hijack my thread!

Oh, wait, he’s making a metaphorical point. Nevermind.

(I pick apples, pretty much for braeburns alone, but it’s a close race. I think you should start a thread.)

Mmmmm. Pink Ladies. Fruit of me, if I were a god.

But seriously folks. Johnny Cash vs. Willie Nelson or Hank Williams, maybe; Frank Sinatra vs. Tony Bennett or Ella Fitzgerald, maybe. But Cash vs. Sinatra? Howbout Mozart vs. Bowie?

1. Frank is going to sound the same all day long, while Johnny gives you some variety.

2. Imagine Johnny in his prime and Frank in his prime. Who would you rather tussle with? Me too. Johnny wins.

Cash, because while Sinatra is a great singer, he just can deliver the haunting sounds of someone in great pain like Cash can.

Not saying that Sinatra can invoke pain with his singing, but with Sinatra, you always get a hint that he will manage to dig himself out of the suffering somehow. With Cash, the pain is absolute and eternal.

Ah well then, maybe no Rat Pack makes Cash the man.

But where are all the Sinatra fans??? Hello? Anybody out there?? :confused:

1. Johnny Cash

2. Frank Sinatra couldn’t kick Johnny Cash’s ass on the most ass-kickingest day of his life with an electric ass-kicking machine.*
    *$1 to the greatest ever first post on this MB

Mangos.

[quote]

But seriously folks. Johnny Cash vs. Willie Nelson or Hank Williams,

[quote]

Cash. Willie is a close second. I like Williams but he gets repetitive.

Not even close. Fitzgerald. Bennett. … , Tom Jones, Jimmy Durante, Sinatra.
Sinatra is grossly overrated.

I see your point. And if I were seriously asking for some kind of rational comparison of their respective strengths and weaknesses as interpreters of popular song, I might even agree with it. But I pretty much brought it up as a lark, hoping for some interesting discussion of preferences. And I don’t think they’re dissimilar enough to make such a discussion silly from the get-go.

More seriously, Sinatra and Cash are both known for interpreting pop music through performance. They may not make as natural a comparison as Beatles vs. Stones, but they’re not Mozart vs. Bowie.

Mozart vs. Bowie: One was a brilliant composer of original musical works. And one popularized a wicked cool knife. I mean, he wasn’t even working with original material, he just put his name on a preexisting design. Mozart all the way.

Har.

Well, I guess over all then (playing by your rules here, !?) I’d have to go with Cash, although overall I think Sinatra has probably had a greater overall impact on today’s culture.

First, though Sinatra was a hell of interpreter, that’s pretty much all he was: Cash wrote some great, great songs along the way; his strength as an interpreter was not apparent to most of us till later in his career.

Second–personally–I find more depth in Cash’s work; more emotional depth I mean. Sinatra was a technician. Cash was, what, practically a diarist; talk about your heart on a sleeve.

Sinatra was from a tradition of–here’s a songwriter, here’s a singer; never the twain shall meet. He came from the jazz tradition of starting with a familiar tune and then adding some texture, some personality to it; the paradigm was kinda like playwright/actor: division of creative labor.

In that context, Sinatra was a great “actor” of songs–surely one of the greatest (though I too would choose Fitzgerald over all others).

Cash came from outside of any music-establishment tradition. He came from “pop” music–as in popular–as in music of the people. American Country music did not come out of academia, but out of the woods and the bars and the front porches of the margins of society. (So did Jazz, of course, but IMHO Jazz eventually achieved a kind of academic classicism that Cash’s brand of Country seems to have resisted.)

I don’t know why this is important to me, or even how important to me it is. But Cash, it seems to me, invented himself, and kept reinventing himself along the way. Sinatra adopted an existing genre/style, and though he may have come close to perfecting it, he never strayed very far from the path laid out by those who came before him.

Overall, that is.

Sheesh.

Perhaps I should listen to more Sinatra; what I’ve heard of him leaves me kind of cold. He comes across as too smarmy for my tastes.

Cash, on the other hand, is a behemoth, one of the giant artists of the last hundred years IMO.

No contest in my mind, musicwise.

As for the brawl-fight? Having seen Sinatra “fight” in The Manchurian Candidate, I don’t think he could win in a fight against a scared little girl.

Cash, though, he’d fight like his life didn’t matter, or else he’d fight like he was willing to die for his cause, or else he wouldn’t fight at all. He’d kick Sinatra’s butt.

Daniel

I like Sinatra, but he doesn’t move me. It’s Cash all the way.

As for the fight, my money’s on Johnny.

I like Johnny Cash and his music. If one of Sinatra’s songs comes on my radio, I change the station.

#1 to J. Cash.

The fight: Ever listen to “A Boy Named Sue”? Johnny wins again!