Millitary: Are female comanding officers refered to as "sir"?

Just wondering because in the tv shows I watch they do.

Seems like this would be offencive to me if I were a woman.

No. No no no no no no no. Not unless you were wanting a new asshole installed.

The proper term of address for any female is “Ma’am”. Calling a lady “Sir” is as insulting in the military as it is elsewhere. Back in basic, the first guy to call our female TI “sir” got this response:

“Did you just call me SIR?! Do you want me to whip my dick out and slap you with it!?”

Also, “Sir” and “Ma’am” isn’t limited to use for superiors. Often, it’s just common courtesy. I’ve had people who outrank me by a good four stripes, or who have those pretty shiny silver connected bars, call me “Sir”. Then again, sometimes your superiors just don’t want to be called “Sir” or “Ma’am”. The only thing really formal about the use of “Sir” or “Ma’am” is that it’s best used if your ass is in hot water.

Only once. :smiley:

-mdf

I believe you’re watching sci-fi, which has very little to do with the military as it’s currently constructed.

As noted above, female superior officers are addressed either by rank title (eg. “Captain”, “Colonel”, “Major”, or “Ensign”.) or as “ma’am”.

She’d could only assume that you said it deliberately to be mysoginistically insubordinate, similar to asking a black executive how many food stamps he traded for his shiny, shiny shoes; or that you said it by mistake, in which case you’ve committed the gravest sin in the military, inattention to detail. Either way she’ll enjoy earning her pay by jumping in your shit.

A third possiblility is that she’s a fellow Trekkie or whatever, but I wouldn’t bet my off-duty hours on it.

Is it appropriate to address a female Warrant Officer (in the Army) as “Mister”?

I think it is, but I’m not sure.

Yeah, what is it with the writers of Space Operas on TV? Everytime they want to show a female officer as a hardass, or simply as an authority figure, they make some ensign call her ma’am and then make her demand sir or Captain :confused: