Does anyone know how much Barnes and Noble gives for used books?

I keep seeing the signs at Barnes and Noble that say “Sell your used books for cash!” but when I inquired about it, the clerk said she couldn’t give me an average price.

Has anybody sold their books to B&N and about how much did you get?

I don’t know about B&N specifically, but you generally don’t get much for used books or used anything. Generally pocket change. YMMV.

I’d suggest selling them at www.half.com. I’ve sold a lot there for a wide range of prices. Depends on the book, edition, condition, popularity, etc. There are no auctions or listing fees.

If you have a Half Priced Books store in your area, that’s a good place to sell without the hassle of shipping. We sold a lot of books to them and got a decent price.
You will not get a lot of money for any book club books. They are apparently lower quality than full price books froom the store. Also, popular books won’t get you much. We got the most for instructional books and obscure books. Good luck!

I sold one book to B&N. It was some hardcover I was far from enthused by, and I got ten cents from it. Oh, yes. It wasn’t cash, either. It was store credit.

Considering I have been ‘selling’ used paperbacks to used bookstores since I was a teen, I was and am horrified at the mark up B&N has on their used books. I’d rather have the pleasure of a pretty fire than sell anymore books to B&N

Ten cents? Ten fucking cents?

That’s ridiculous. I bought a fairly new copy of Far Side: Last Chapter and Worse used from B&N the other day for $3, which I thought was pretty good.

Now knowing that the former owner of that book probably got a nickel I feel sick.

Thank you Loki, I’ll take them anywhere else before B&N now.