What do you think about the Motley Fool?

I think they can be a little bias at times; but then again, aren’t most investment advisors? All in all, I believe them to be a great source of investing knowledge and advice. You?

Ok for basic money information. I would be very careful with specific advice from them.

They use to have a great message board system (in fact, it is the best message board system I’ve ever used, but content is down), but it hasn’t been the same since they started to charge for access. But it was $30 per year, not $5.

My husband and I take a good chunk of our investment advice from the Motley Fools. We’re a bit more conservative than they recommend, but we’ve done very well with their advice.

Read this book:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/0393325350/qid=1079761154/sr=1-1/ref=sr_1_1/104-4903519-7145525?v=glance&s=books

I mainly know the fools from the newspaper column and similar venues.

A complete waste of newspaper. Utterly useless. They won’t answer the most direct question about “Do you think the market will do up or down in the next 6 months?” or “Is IBM a good investment?” But they will answer questions like “What is a share of stock?”

So if you’ve never heard of the stock market and are completely cluesless about investing, it’s a place to start. But for actual investment info, not worth a sou.

I disagree to some extent. If you’re looking for free advice, this is not the site to browse, except for the basics. If you are willing to pay for the newsletter, the recommendations are very specific and helpful.

From what I’ve seen, their website offers lots of good basic information on investing/personal finance. Unfortunately, the success of their various portfolio “strategies” appears to be entirely due to data mining, as discussed in this article:

Mining Fool’s Gold

If you torture the data enough, they will confess to just about anything.