Old 05-17-2000, 02:01 PM
BANNED

How many of us have seen things like this? Zatarain's makes a product called Crab Boil! UGH!! I can't imagine eating a human boil, let alone a crab boil! (Zatarain's also makes a product called "Dirty Rice Mix," which we jeered until we actually tried it.
Also, in the Hispanic foods section of our supermarket, I saw a food in a jar, called "mole"! I can't imagine anyone eating a mole!
Post here food names that sound awful--and may not do justice to the food, as with Dirty Rice Mix.
Old 05-17-2000, 02:09 PM

Head Cheese

Spotted Dick

Blood Sausage

. . . and they're just as yummy as they sound!
Old 05-17-2000, 02:09 PM

Chicken Mole (pronounce moe-lay) is awesome. I once won $5.00 from a Mexican-American friend of mine who didn't believe me that there was peanut butter and/or peanuts in it. He asked his mom and I got the $5.
Old 05-17-2000, 02:16 PM

My grandma used to make Shit On A Shingle, which was sausage gravy on a thick peice of toast. This wasn't something that she made up-- it was like, um, a traditional family dish. They had called it that for generations, and I've heard other families use the term. Maybe it's a Southern Ohio thing.
Old 05-17-2000, 02:24 PM
BANNED

The kiwifruit was formerly called Chinese Gooseberry and Chinese Carbuncle (Carbuncle is a smooth round gemstone, but also "a huge pus-filled boil".
Old 05-17-2000, 02:34 PM

Quote:

My grandma used to make Shit On A Shingle, which was sausage gravy on a thick peice of toast. This wasn't something that she made up-- it was like, um, a traditional family dish. They had called it that for generations, and I've heard other families use the term. Maybe it's a Southern Ohio thing.
Traditionaly "Shit on a Shingle" is dried chipped beef in a white sauce, served on toast.

some more yummy sounding dishes
Scrapple
mush
Menudo
(not the group, but a tripe stew)
Old 05-17-2000, 02:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

dougie, you're just, like, foolin' around here, right? With those comments about crab boil and dirty rice and mole and stuff, right? You really know what they really are and you're just tugging ol' Ukulele Ike's leg, right?

Lissa: Shit on a Shingle was the Army term for creamed chipped beef on toast. During the Big One, creamed chipped beef was a foodstuff that was in abundant supply within the U.S. Armed Forces; it got served up a couple times a week, and the men got heartily sick of it.

How about nearly any German word for food? Schnitzel, for example. It's yummy; a cutlet dredged in seasoned flour and sauteed in butter or oil. But...schnitzel. Hey, girlie, come over here, I want you to taste my schnitzel. Give me a bite of your schnitzel. Hey waiter, there's something wrong with my schnitzel.
Old 05-17-2000, 02:37 PM

i don't want to drink anything called ovaltene
Old 05-17-2000, 02:54 PM
BANNED

Food names--for real!!

Quote:
dougie, you're just, like, foolin' around here, right? With those comments about crab boil and dirty rice and mole and stuff, right? You really know what they really are and you're just tugging ol' Ukulele Ike's leg, right?
WRONG!!
What part of the country do you live in? I am in Los Angeles County, CA. I can attest personally to Dirty Rice Mix--we have even eaten it and it was pretty good. I will not eat a mole or a crab boil, however. Bleccch.
Old 05-17-2000, 02:55 PM

Anything with the word 'log' in it. Ugh, not appetizing.
Of how your charms these arms torment
And then shall word meld unto kiss
As cyber-passion's virtual bliss
Compels devotion, fix'd and utter
To my precious flirty struuter--ianzin
Patron Saint of kind hearted words and Fluffemutter sandwiches.
Official SDMB Strumpet--'Knighted' by ChiefScott

Old 05-17-2000, 03:01 PM
BANNED

log

Like "Log Cabin Syrup," Struuter?
Old 05-17-2000, 03:04 PM

Anyone ever had the candy treat called Chick-o-Stick?

There is no chicken in it, although there is a picture of a chicken on the wrapper. It's actually something like the inside of a Clark bar.

Chick-o-Stick for a candy? Ugh.

My blog sucks.
Old 05-17-2000, 03:06 PM

Ummmm....not exactly. I mean more along the lines of meat log, cheese log or chocolate log. Not that the foods themselves are in question. But add that word to the end and...yeesh. Makes me think of Caddyshack.
Of how your charms these arms torment
And then shall word meld unto kiss
As cyber-passion's virtual bliss
Compels devotion, fix'd and utter
To my precious flirty struuter--ianzin
Patron Saint of kind hearted words and Fluffemutter sandwiches.
Official SDMB Strumpet--'Knighted' by ChiefScott

Old 05-17-2000, 03:07 PM

My irony detector is in the shop, so...

Quote:

Quote:
WRONG!!
What part of the country do you live in? I am in Los Angeles County, CA. I can attest personally to Dirty Rice Mix--we have even eaten it and it was pretty good. I will not eat a mole or a crab boil, however. Bleccch.
I know you have to be pretending not to understand the true nature of the foods you mentioned, but just in case someone takes you seriously, as a culinary guardian I must intervene and stomp on the punchline.

1) Dirty rice is so called because it looks like it has dirt mixed into it; however, it's actually ground chicken livers and spices that make it look that way.

2) it's not "mole," as in "small blind animal." It's "molé" (prounounced "MOH-lay"), and it's a complicated sauce that is usually served over chicken or turkey.

3) "Crab boil" is etymologically similar to "fish fry" (i.e., "let's boil a bunch of crabs"). The Zatarain's product is a mix of spices that are added to the water when boiling crabs.

I'm sure you know all this and are just having some fun, but I can't risk allowing culinary ignorance to flourish.

Then stop by my online comic strip, Scandal Sheet!

"In this dangerous world, there's an art to growin' old..."
Old 05-17-2000, 03:08 PM

Hormel, the maker of spam, also has Potted Meat Food Product. Ewwwww!
Old 05-17-2000, 03:08 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

*sigh*

Crab boil is a packaged mix of herbs and spices meant to be added to the water in which crabs, shrimp, or lobsters are to be boiled. You generally see it around the Chesapeake Bay area (where boiled crabs a a specialty), but it's available all up and down the east coast. Sometimes it's sold as "fish boil" or "shrimp boil."

Dirty rice is rice cooked with ground pork, ground chicken livers and gizzards, onions, chicken broth, bacon drippings, green pepper, and garlic. It's a Cajun specialty, and it gets its name from the fact that the ground meat makes the white rice look "dirty."

Mole is a smooth, cooked blend of onion, garlic, chiles, ground seeds (usually pumpkin or sesame) and a small amount of bitter Mexican chocolate. It's a rich, dark reddish-brown sauce usually served with poultry, and gets its name from the Nahuatl word molli, meaning "concoction."

I love you, man, but you have got to get out more.
Old 05-17-2000, 03:10 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Thank god Chef Troy got roped in, too. I ain't the ONLY Margaret Dumont around here.
Old 05-17-2000, 03:11 PM

Potted Meat.
Grelm (German breakfast cereal made from post-beer production barley).

My friends grandmother used to make a traditional mexican meal using a whole head of a sheep (and I do mean WHOLE), I recall it had an equally hideous name that slips my mind...
Old 05-17-2000, 03:14 PM

Nice simulpost, Ike; thanks for helping stamp out ignorance.

That said, I must mention a few items that have gag-inducing names:

there is a stew served in the American South (especially Kentucky) called burgoo that I am unwilling to try, no matter what's actually in it, just because the name sounds so gross. ("Hey Cletus, what's that stinky white stuff splattered all over the hood of yore truck -- and what should I call this stew?" "Bird goo." "Which question didja answer?")

And I'm sure they probably taste good, but I can't stop giggling long enough to eat kumquats.

Then stop by my online comic strip, Scandal Sheet!

"In this dangerous world, there's an art to growin' old..."
Old 05-17-2000, 03:17 PM

>> I can't imagine anyone eating a mole <<

Actually, it's a Mexican sauce pronounced mo-lay, so I thought it had an accent over the e, as in "Olé!", but I have seen it both ways. The most famous molé is chocolate molé which might tempt you a little (though it isn't sweet). If not, I don't want to see you biting the heads (or butts) off any chocolate bunnies.

Then again, I wouldn't hesitate to eat the animal mole - I mean is it really worse than frog or escargo? I imagine it's like quail - all those tiny bones.

A mole of table sugar is about 12 ounces, which is a lot, but not unthinkable. As any kid on Halloween. C'mon, admit it, you've done worse.

Hrulka (Hungarian blood sausage) is one of the few foods I couldn't bring myself to finish (the thing basically exploded when I bit the end, coating me in black clotted blood -- I should know better than to by food on the Budapest subway) but blood sausage in general isn't bad.

The food that always made me laugh was Strange Flavored Beef (or chicken, pork, etc.) found in many Chinese restaurants. Mmmm... just like momma used to make: "Does the beef taste funny to you?"
Old 05-17-2000, 03:23 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

{snappy salute} Anytime, mon Chef.

And...HEY! I LIKE Kentucky Burgoo! ladle me out a bowlful with EXTRA squirrel, please.

I have never been able to eat a corn dog, as much for the image the name conjures up as for whatever might be in it.
Old 05-17-2000, 03:25 PM

I heard about this one on a talk radio show one time (consider the source).

Apparently this young lad (23ish?) sold everything he owned, took a sabbatical from his job at IBM, and decided to spend a year traveling the globe. So the host of the show asked him what the most unique food he sampled on his journey. The lad replied he had a dish in China called “Three Squeaks” (rough translation).

The name doesn’t sound so bad, ‘til you come to understand the meal. According to the story, the chef takes a very pregnant rat, removes the fetuses, and serves the new hatchlings fresh with some type of hot sauce. When you grab one of the squirming babes with your chopsticks, it will squeak. Then you dip the creature in the hot sauce where it again squeaks. And the third squeak occurs when your teeth crunch the still live rat. A delicacy of the worst order.

This is the most God-awful “treat” I have ever heard described. I don’t know if this is on the up-and-up, but it’s a fun story to tell at keg parties & bars. Course it won’t get you many dates; the reaction’s the thing!

----------
Satan doesn't smoke? Where the Hell am I?
Old 05-17-2000, 04:22 PM

Does anyone remember the SNL skit making fun of:

"With a name like Shmuckers, its got to be good!" ?

Each person would come out and sell their wares each with a more horrendous name than the last. It got to the point where someone came out, held up their jam, and said something to the effect of, "The name of this jam is so horrible, I can't reveal it on television. Needless to say, this is some good jam." He then showed it to the previous salesman who would gag and say, "Yeah. That's GOTTA be good jam."
Old 05-17-2000, 04:25 PM

My mother-in-law made a dish that she called "Rats and rice"
She learned to make it from her mother, who knows where she learned to make it.

It is a tomato gravy with tuna in it served over rice. It took me a long time to get past the name enough to try it.

Thankfully Lionsob doesn't like it too much so I don't have to make it myself.
http://hepatitis-central.com/
Old 05-17-2000, 05:03 PM

Beef Stroganoff sounds like a masturbating cow, to me.
Old 05-18-2000, 12:51 PM

Take some Oreo cookies, grind 'em up, creme and all, to make a crumb pie crust. Fill with coffee flavored ice cream. Spread with fudge sauce. Served with whipped cream, drizzled with butterscotch sauce. Voila! Mud Pie.

Also, I remember hearing about how Paul Simon wrote the song, "Mother & Child Reunion." He got it off a Chinese menu. It was chicken and eggs.
Old 05-18-2000, 01:21 PM

yogurt

curd

guacamole

All sound like something that would come out of one end or another of a baby.
Old 05-18-2000, 01:32 PM

I have always thought guacamole sounded like diarrhea.

What about "Digestive" cookies? They are an Irish or British cookie, and are actually quite good, but I wouldn't try them for the longest time because I thought they must taste like Tums or Maalox. I'm not sure if they are supposed to aid in digestion or if that word has some other meaning across the sea.
Old 05-18-2000, 01:55 PM

-Bovril & Clamato (yeah, I know they're technically drinks. But they still sound unappetizing).

-Bible tripe.

-scrod.
Old 05-18-2000, 02:09 PM

Milossarian - my brother, who is normally open-minded about foods, refuses to eat guacamole because he thinks it LOOKS like something that came out of one end of a baby, in addition to sounding like it. Can't say he's wrong, though I enjoy a good guac myself.
Old 05-18-2000, 02:24 PM
Charter Member

Myron said:
Quote:
Also, I remember hearing about how Paul Simon wrote the song, "Mother & Child Reunion." He got it off a Chinese menu. It was chicken and eggs.
FYI, if you've ever had anything "oyako" at a Japanese restaurant, it means the same thing.
Old 05-18-2000, 02:29 PM

I realize that this is going to be about as far "off post" as you can get, but...

Ike, I remember when Groucho Marx was awarded his Lifetime Achievement Academy Award in the early 70s, and he made a special point of thanking his brothers for their contribution to his success. The last person he thanked, and what made it extra poignant, was Margaret Dumont. Interestingly enough, she apparently was just as proud and unsuspecting in real life as she was on the screen.

Hello, I must be going...
I've come to say, I cannot stay
I must be going...
I'll stay a week or two,
I'll stay the summer through,
But for now,
I must be going.
Old 05-18-2000, 02:42 PM

Quote:
How about nearly any German word for food? Schnitzel, for example. It's yummy; a cutlet dredged in seasoned flour and sauteed in butter or oil. But...schnitzel. Hey, girlie, come over here, I want you to taste my schnitzel. Give me a bite of your schnitzel. Hey waiter, there's something wrong with my schnitzel.
Ike is right on the money, Germans do have some funky names for food. We had sauerbraten for dinner tonight, it's quite good but that name! Some more wacky German foods include Schmorbraten(pot roast), Kalbslyoner (my son's favorite lunchmeat, don't want to know what's in it), Spargel (aspargus), and Leberspatzle (liver dumplings, suprizingly good).

Then again, most German words sound pretty strange, and their fondness for compound nouns does nothing to help.
Old 05-18-2000, 02:59 PM
Charter Member

All these posts, and nobody mentions the food
with the word name that sounds just like it
tastes--TOFU!!!
Old 05-18-2000, 03:01 PM

mmmmm..shit-on-a-shingle....ain't nothing better for a hangover...here in the south (the kakalaka's) biscuit smothered in sausage gravy....mmmmm

rhubarbs are taste pretty good but the name kept me away...

I loved working in a mexican restaurant and having customers ask me what pico-de-gallo was.

But then there is my favorite word in all the world, probably the worlds best food additive....riboflavin!
Old 05-18-2000, 03:02 PM

I will never forget the episode of Our Gang(later known as The Little Rascals) in which Stymie (the black kid with the shaved head) says:
"They may choke Artie, but they ain't gonna choke Stymie."

By the way, Evil Jungle Prince is a delicious Thai dish.
Old 05-18-2000, 03:26 PM

I'm astonished no one's mentioned that perennial English dish, toad-in-the-hole. And yes, it tastes just as nasty as it sounds.

See also: Harvey, PhoukaPants, Pooh, and Rhoo.
Old 05-18-2000, 04:09 PM

Don't know how many of you have actually gotten a chance to try this stuff. I believe it's native to Hawaii, and I have yet to see it anywhere in the mainland states. It, hands down, was the worst tasting stuff I have ever had.. and it has a wierd name to boot..
Poi <--aka Hawaiian wallpaper paste
Old 05-18-2000, 04:37 PM
Charter Member

I have to go with scrod - it sounds like a venereal disease. And [b]yogurt[b/] sounds like someone vomiting. Eww!

StG
Old 05-18-2000, 04:46 PM

I also have never tasted egg nog, and I don't ever plan to.

I'm not interested in drinking any liquid egg product, nor one that has the syllable 'nog' in it.
Old 05-18-2000, 04:48 PM

Ooh, I forgot about the Crappy and Orange Roughy, both fish. And anything called "food product" as in pasteurized cheese food product. Blech.
Old 05-18-2000, 04:53 PM

tatertot.. I must agree with you! However...
There is one pasteurized cheese product that is soooooooo goood.. sigh..
<hangs head in shame>
O.K., I admit it..
Velveeta
Old 05-18-2000, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Poi <--aka Hawaiian wallpaper paste
I have had the (dis)pleasure of tasting some poi. It is grey, thick, and all around nasty. A friend of mine from Hawaii just loves the stuff, but I could barely finish one "bite" of it (its like eating sludge, but not as tasty).

Easy-cheese too... ewww.

-S

Old 05-18-2000, 05:38 PM
Charter Member

KP- "veres hurka" is the Hungarian blood sausage, and it's damned good, as far as blood sausages go. ever go to a good ol' fashioned pig kill while you were out here? Not the prettiest sight in the world but, hey, damned it's good eatin'

My votes would have to go to "marmite" (sounds more like something you'd ind in a cave) and "czernina" which is even more disgusting when served: Polish duck blood soup. Yech!
Old 05-18-2000, 06:30 PM

I suppose I owe hurka (my mind insists it "hurl-ka" but that's probably a psychological effect) another try. But it'll be hard... I was scarred by the smell after walking around coated in that stuff for 20 minutes, as I went home to change. (Is it supposed to have that fluid a consistency, or did I get a bad one?)

A lot of posters will think the Hungarian "cherry soup" or "cherry sausage" sound unappetizing. Boy, what they're missing! (Cherry sausage was new when I was down there, the creation of some Univ. prof. Did it catch on?)
Old 05-18-2000, 06:44 PM
Charter Member

cherry soup's great -- the thing is, the germanic and scandinavian countries also have a version of this, so it might not be as weird as one might think.

what the hell is "cherry sausage?" i asked my colleagues and they have given me the what-planet-are-you-from
look. come, come, elucidate ...
Old 05-18-2000, 10:10 PM

From KP's Annals of World Travel [Warning: bad Hungarian humor ahead

Cherry Sausage:
1. a healthy meat substitute dreamed up by a Hungarian professor -- either in Budapest or Debreszen -- in the 80's. I believe it wasn't 100% cherries, but the details are blurry now. All I remember was thinking... wow, this really isn't bad at all! The more I ate, the more meat-like it seemed, I just had to stop thinking of cherries.

Then again, I had a 4 L a day cherry soda habit there - safer than the local water, as I got acclimated. After that, who could resist? Can't beat them Hungarian cherries!

2. This definition cannot be released without the express written permission of one Ilona Szent-Nagy. [Can't beat those Hungarian cherries!]

3. A common reaction to Hungarian produce: I never sausage cherries!

4. Something you should never put Cherry Coke on (see Orgasm Physiology thread]

5. The reason they had to burn that one Rakoczy at the stake.
----------------------------------

BTW, thanks for reminding me of the 'pig kill'. I'd totally forgotten about it, but images started floating to the surface, and finally I remembered. Mine was a much more touristy affair (not much gore IIRC) than I usually favor, but a memory I'd have hated to lose: Hungarian cowboys, rope tricks, whip tricks, gypsies,... the aforementioned Ilona (Jesu! There are a lot of Nagy's in the Debrescen phone book!) ... and meat. I don't recall the meat much. Too much Egri Bikaver ... *way* too much Egri Bikaver, considering I'd spent all day doing wine tastings in the Tokaj valley.
Old 05-18-2000, 11:53 PM

Quote:
I realize that this is going to be about as far "off post" as you can get, but...

Ike, I remember when Groucho Marx was awarded his Lifetime Achievement Academy Award in the early 70s, and he made a special point of thanking his brothers for their contribution to his success. The last person he thanked, and what made it extra poignant, was Margaret Dumont. Interestingly enough, she apparently was just as proud and unsuspecting in real life as she was on the screen.
plnnr, what the heck are you talking about? And what didn't Margaret Dumont suspect?
Old 05-19-2000, 12:22 AM

We have a diner here called Squeezers Hamburgers.

Sounds like the joke that ends "don't ask how he makes donuts".
Old 05-19-2000, 12:24 AM

Poo Poo Plater- found at any Chinese restuarant.