My browser no longer allows "view-source"?

When browsing a website with my browser at work (MS Internet Explorer, v. 5.00), if I choose the View pull-down menu and then choose Source, nothing happens.

Same if I right-click on the page and choose View Source. Nothing happens.

The selections aren’t grayed out, they just don’t work any longer.

With the exception: If I’m browsing a HTML file on the hard drive or on the local network, then View-Source works fine.

Is this perhaps some “added security” that our I.T. department added? Or maybe a known bug that was fixed since v.5.00? Or perhaps the result of some setting that I unwittingly changed?

Any ideas?

:confused:

I’ve seen this behaviour (very inconsistently) in the past. I think it is an IE bug but no-one has ever been able to confirm this. I’ve found reloading the page in a new browser window often sorts it out.

I’ve been running into this for a long time now. Somewhere along the line I found a “fix” which makes “view source” work again… at least for a while. Deleting temporary internet files seems to make it work properly again.

tools-internet options-delete files.

I’d be curious if someone knew the reason for this behavior, and if there is a more permanent fix out there.

zuma’s suggestion should fix it. According to Microsoft this is just an eccentricity of IE.

I don’t know if there’s permanent solution. Your computer just seems to run out of space.

I’ve noticed a similar issue using Notepad alone, which I use to make webpages. Even a small file, edited and saved many times under the same file name in one session can led to not being able to proceed further. Notepad I think is supposed to handle 75-100K files, but I’ve locked things up with 35K. So I have to turned things off and start up again.

Many thanks to Zuma et al. Things are working like a charm now. :cool:

I think the more permanent fix is called IE6.

Nope, still happens from time to time in IE6. And that is the official fix - delete your temporary internet files.

The permanent fix is called Firefox, the browser :slight_smile:

I use IE6 (Win98) and the only place this happens (that I’ve tried, anyway) is the SDMB. Deleting the temp files didn’t work.

Are you viewing an HTTPS page? IE has an option to “do not cache secure pages” that will cause this to happen.

Hmmm… odd; my impression was that IE5 was really buggy, 5.5 less so and 6 was pretty stable, but I moved to IE6 at the same time as moving from Win98 to XP, which might be significant.

Firefox fixes many things, but unfortunately saving you from having to delete your cache every so often is not one of them. It’s still in beta form.