Toothbrushes

There seem to be a lot of high-tech toothbrushes out now. Is one type or brand really better than the rest? Have any comparitive studies been done?

Ther have been a few threads on this. I remember that Sonicare seemed to be the big winner. The brand makes a difference apparantly. People who bought Ultrasonic were not so happy. If you do a search on Sonicare (all forums) you will find the info you seek about various toothbrushes.

I, myself, like the Collis Curve brush because it really gets below the gumline well.
Haven’t sprung for a Sonicare yet.

Thank you very much!

A comparative study from the Australian Consumers Association ‘Choice’.

Toothbrushes - plain or fancy?

Shortly after I got a Braun Oral B 3D (at the recommendation of my oral hygienist) a year or two ago, NPR did a story about how a study had found that the rotating technology Braun uses (although they didn’t mention the brand) was the most effective type of electric toothbrush. Your dentist’s power brush thingy uses a rotating motion.

Much if not all toothbrush research is funded by the manufacturers (see footnotes at the bottom of the page), so it may be a little suspect. But I’m happy with my Oral B.

The most important factor in using any toothbrush is to use it long enough: at least two minutes (which is a lot longer than you think when you’re brushing).