The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-05-2004, 03:56 PM

Why can't we laminate our Social Security Cards?

The back of mine says : Do not laminate this card.

So, why?
Advertisements  
Old 04-05-2004, 04:13 PM

This is from the SSA's Program Policy Information Site:

Quote:

E. POLICY - LAMINATING THE SSN CARD

1. Advising Against Lamination

Instructions on the card stub advise against laminating the card. This is because lamination prevents detection of certain security features on the card. When possible, instruct SSN applicants in advance not to laminate their SSN cards because SSA cannot guarantee the validity of a card that has been laminated.

Public information activities should also stress this point. Since number holders are advised to keep their cards in a safe place rather than carry them in their purses or wallets, and since the cards are made of banknote paper, there should be no need to cover the card to protect it. However, if the number holder still wishes to do so, he/she may cover the card with plastic or other material which can be removed without damaging the card.
More --> http://policy.ssa.gov/poms.nsf/0/9f3...c?OpenDocument
Old 04-05-2004, 04:56 PM

I don't know what difference it makes?

In all the years I have never used or needed to use my SS card. I applied for SS disability over the phone and later was accepted.

The only purpose I can see in the card is so one doesn't forget their number.

So if you want it laminated, go for it.

Vote FREEDOM FIRST!
Old 04-05-2004, 05:21 PM
Charter Member

My card was laminated very early on in my life, and I never had a problem until I tried to get a drivers license in Illinois. I've lived in 10 different states and it was never an issue until then.

I ended up having to get a completely new SSS card to get my Illinois license.
Old 04-05-2004, 05:29 PM

Lamination could be used to help conceal any alterations or modifications that have been made to a card.

You will also need to produce your card when accepting employment. Your new employer will need it and a picture ID (driver's license will do) in order to complete their I-9 form.
Old 04-05-2004, 06:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickster
You will also need to produce your card when accepting employment. Your new employer will need it and a picture ID (driver's license will do) in order to complete their I-9 form.
Do employers really need to see your actual SSN card, or can they accept other info with your SSN number on it (like a W-2 for instance)?
Old 04-05-2004, 07:25 PM

W-2 is not acceptable. Here's an link that provides accurate alternatives.
http://admin.shu.edu/studemp/I9Form.htm
Old 04-05-2004, 07:44 PM

I've never had to show any ID to an employer. And my social security card (which is, admittedly pretty old doesn't have any security features that I can see.

the truth about firearms and self-defense www.thehighroad.org www.a-human-right.com
Old 04-05-2004, 08:34 PM

I worked several different jobs over the years and was never asked to show my SS card. They only required the SS number.
Just never had any occasion to use that little card.

Vote FREEDOM FIRST!
Old 04-05-2004, 08:39 PM

olefin, any employer that did not ask to have you verify your ability to work legally in the United States within the last 15+ years or so was violating the law. The usual proof asked for is your picture identification and your social security card. See the link helpfully provided by flickster.

Of course, if you have either a U.S. Passport or a Certificate of Citizenship, you don't need to show anything else; they satisgy both requirements.
Old 04-05-2004, 08:48 PM

No employer has ever said a word about my laminated SS card... not even the major defense contractor I work for now.

C'mon... be a scofflaw! It's FUN!
Old 04-05-2004, 09:41 PM

My mother has a metal SS card. She got it when she was in high school as part of some promotional program or something. Any idea what's up with that?

FB
Old 04-05-2004, 09:49 PM
2012 SDMB NFL Salary Cap Champ
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippy the Beardless
Do employers really need to see your actual SSN card, or can they accept other info with your SSN number on it (like a W-2 for instance)?
I fulfill the I-9 requirements with my passport. It only takes one piece of ID instead of two.
Old 04-05-2004, 10:09 PM
Straight Dope Science Advisory Board

Quote:
Originally Posted by FaerieBeth
My mother has a metal SS card. She got it when she was in high school as part of some promotional program or something. Any idea what's up with that?

FB
They're not legal for use as SS cards. I've had patients who've tried to use metal "Medicare" cards in lieu of their government-issued Medicare cards, and we couldn't accept them. (Some Medigap and life insurance companies used to issue those to new subscribers as a freebie.)

Nothing but the original Social Security Administration-issued document is legal for use as a Social Security or Medicare card.

Robin
Old 04-05-2004, 10:35 PM

That's useful to know. People at work ask me why they're not supposed to laminate their cards all the time (as a lowly peon at a copy shop, I'm expected to know everything that could ever have bearing on my job, after all). Now I'll actually have an answer - sort of.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefin

So if you want it laminated, go for it.
In New York state, it is absolutely impossible to do anything at the DMV unless you have a SSN card in your hand that you can give to a minor bureaucrat. I have two friends who have needed to get SSN's re-issued in the past 6 months for the sole reason of getting their driver's license-- and if it was laminated, they were screwed.
Old 04-05-2004, 11:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DSYoungEsq
olefin, any employer that did not ask to have you verify your ability to work legally in the United States within the last 15+ years or so was violating the law. The usual proof asked for is your picture identification and your social security card. See the link helpfully provided by flickster.

Of course, if you have either a U.S. Passport or a Certificate of Citizenship, you don't need to show anything else; they satisgy both requirements.
Very true. When this went into effect (1986) existing employees were grandfathered in, but if you have been hired by any employer since and they did not ask for identification so they could complete an I-9 they are risking stiff penalties if audited (and audits do indeed happen). Here's an even better link for employment eligibility verification.
http://uscis.gov/graphics/howdoi/faqeev.htm
Old 04-05-2004, 11:48 PM
Charter Member

Maybe this is painfully obvious, but why not apply for a new SS card since you "lost" your other one, then laminate one and leave the other in a safe place? IIRC, I needed a copy of my birth certificate and something else in order to get a new SS card. Losing all your photo ID's and SS card along with your wallet is not fun, trust me.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big_Norse
My card was laminated very early on in my life, and I never had a problem until I tried to get a drivers license in Illinois. I've lived in 10 different states and it was never an issue until then.

I ended up having to get a completely new SSS card to get my Illinois license.

Got my SSC as a child in the late 70s, and had it immediately laminated.

Never had a hassle.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Enola Straight
Got my SSC as a child in the late 70s, and had it immediately laminated.

Never had a hassle.
Likewise. I've got my original card, and there's no warning about lamination on it. My mother and fathers cards are laminated also, and none of us have ever had a problem. My wife and kids cards do have the warning, and aren't laminated.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:12 AM

This begs the question.. Why on earth don't they just change the security features and issue the darn thing laminated like every other card in our country? I don't even own one anymore because it gets lost or torn up in my wallet.

Hope I don't forget
Old 04-06-2004, 06:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by alterego
I don't even own one anymore because it gets lost or torn up in my wallet.
Well, you're not supposed to keep it in your wallet.

Did you not read the very first response to the OP?

It said:
"Since number holders are advised to keep their cards in a safe place rather than carry them in their purses or wallets,"
Old 04-06-2004, 06:38 AM

Yes, that is why I included 'lost'.

Thanks for verifying, though.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:09 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
olefin, any employer that did not ask to have you verify your ability to work legally in the United States within the last 15+ years or so was violating the law. The usual proof asked for is your picture identification and your social security card.
Bit of a hijack, but SSN plus ID is a flawed way to check for employment eligibility. If you ever get a working visa, you can get an SSN. When the visa expires, you still have your SS card and could use that to get employment.
Old 04-06-2004, 09:43 AM

I work across the street from an IRS office in Chicago. I had to go to their office to pick up some tax forms and I had to wait in line. The majority of the others waiting in line were people waiting for assistance in filing their taxes. A woman who worked there kept making the announcement to have their UNLAMINATED ss cards. I saw several people who had been waiting in line for almost an hour get kicked out because their card was laminated.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:00 AM

405(i)(2)(G):
Quote:
G) The Commissioner of Social Security shall issue a social security card to each individual at the time of the issuance of a social security account number to such individual. The social security card shall be made of banknote paper, and (to the maximum extent practicable) shall be a card which cannot be counterfeited.
There is no provision against laminating the card, but a laminated card is not as easy to Xerox or otherwise make a copy of, so I guess it's a policy decision of an agency. Sometimes a copy of the card is desired for the file.
Old 04-06-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
olefin, any employer that did not ask to have you verify your ability to work legally in the United States within the last 15+ years or so was violating the law. The usual proof asked for is your picture identification and your social security card.
Sounds like all that was started after I went to work for my last employer.

Like I said, my SS card has been useless. I could have lost it 40 years ago for I have never used it.

Vote FREEDOM FIRST!
Old 04-06-2004, 11:06 AM

You know, I bet that other than the security features thing, its just to keep people from carrying it in their wallets.

Many people do this, and there's utterly no reason to. You never need to give your social security card, except in very specific instances. If your wallet containing social security card plus drivers license is stolen, the thieves have enough data to do all sorts of stuff.

So, unlaminated card equals less chance of being kept on person for fear of ruining it equals fewer identity theft hassles for all involved.
Old 04-06-2004, 12:17 PM
Charter Member

People need their ss card???

If I still have mine, I have no idea where it is. I got it approximately 40 years ago. I've never had to produce it for proof of anything, anywhere.

Interesting.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by olefin
I don't know what difference it makes?

In all the years I have never used or needed to use my SS card. I applied for SS disability over the phone and later was accepted.

I have routinely used my card as one of the pieces of identifying information when being processed for employment. I believe the form in question is the I-9, and it requires proof of both identity and eligibility for employment. Unless you've got a passport (which handles both) the SS card is about the easiest way of proving elegibility to work.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amarone
Bit of a hijack, but SSN plus ID is a flawed way to check for employment eligibility. If you ever get a working visa, you can get an SSN. When the visa expires, you still have your SS card and could use that to get employment.
True, but the photocopy of the card in file with your I-9 will have the number and date you started working. If there's an audit, it'll turn up.
Old 04-06-2004, 01:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by flickster
W-2 is not acceptable.
This strikes me as funny, mainly because it seems obvious to me. The only W-2 you could have would be from a previous employer, and you can't expect your prospective employer to trust the previous employer's protocols.
Old 04-06-2004, 02:15 PM

I used to use my laminated card with no problems, but about 6 years ago in Washington State I wasn't allowed to get a new job without having an unlaminated card... I had to get it reissued and wait a couple of weeks to start work. Then again a few years ago, the DMV here required unlaminated cards, too... it must be a newer thing.
Old 04-06-2004, 03:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
This strikes me as funny, mainly because it seems obvious to me. The only W-2 you could have would be from a previous employer, and you can't expect your prospective employer to trust the previous employer's protocols.
Maybe, but a W-2 is an official tax form, so wouldn't the SSN have to be correct on it?
Old 04-06-2004, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathochist
I have routinely used my card as one of the pieces of identifying information when being processed for employment. I believe the form in question is the I-9, and it requires proof of both identity and eligibility for employment. Unless you've got a passport (which handles both) the SS card is about the easiest way of proving elegibility to work.
I never needed my SS card for I have an honest face and no one question me.

Kidding of course... in another of my post I noted the laws were changed about 15 years ago. I haven't applied for a job during that time... I was with my last employer for 32 years.

Vote FREEDOM FIRST!
Old 04-06-2004, 04:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bippy the Beardless
Maybe, but a W-2 is an official tax form, so wouldn't the SSN have to be correct on it?
Your W-2 is not an "official" tax form (official meaning produced by government agency). This is a document that is produced by your employer (it is your responsibility to verify that your employer is using the correct number) in order for you to file your tax return.