ChiDope 2004 -- You know you want to come.

Here’s the weekend’s rundown. We’re going to manage attendees via Evite, so if you’re considering attending, please e-mail me at ekgund at hotmail and I will add you to the invitation list. Also, I’m keeping a cell phone list to make it easy for folks to meet; if you’d like to be on that list, please send that information to the same address.

**FRIDAY, MAY 21 **
**Dead Man’s Party ('80s potluck) **
Host: Gundy
*Time: * 6:00 p.m.
Cost: $0, but a dish/drinks to share would be appreciated
Evites have been sent out. If you haven’t received the Evite, please send your e-mail address to ekgund at hotmail and I will add you to the invitation list. At this point, I’m planning to have Mexican entrees for dinner (with vegetarian options) but stay tuned for possible changes. I am nothing if not capricious. Beer and soda will be available, but if you want something special you’ll have to bring it.
*Transportation notes: * Hotel guests who are at the hotel at 5:30 can take the shuttle arranged by Jane for a nominal fee, about $5-8. Please contact Jane or post here to indicate whether you’d like to take the shuttle. Otherwise, train and driving directions are posted in the Evite.

SATURDAY, MAY 22
Michigan Avenue Shopping (or just looking!)
Host: Jane D’oh!
Time: 11 a.m. - 12:30 p.m., lunch after
Cost: $0 for shopping, your own costs for lunch
*Meeting place: * Michigan & Wacker, in front of the Wrigley Building
*Note: * Jane would like to wrap this up in time to join the architectural boat tour. If you don’t want to do the boat tour, then you’re on your own for transportation back to the hotel/to dinner/Black Rock. If you need directions, please contact me.

**Architectural Boat Tour **
*Host: * porcupine
Time: 2 p.m. - 3:30 p.m. Advance reservations are required.
Cost: $25
Meeting place: Michigan & Wacker, in front of the Wrigley Building

Shedd Aquarium & International Museum of Surgical Science
Host: Zanshin
Time: 11 a.m.
Cost: $6 for Surgical Science Museum, $21 for All Access out-of-town pass at Shedd ($14 for Chicago residents)
Meeting place: Michigan & Wacker, in front of the Wrigley Building
Transportation notes: Some permutation of public transportation will be used to get between the meeting place and the two museums, so it’s a good idea to buy a transit pass (see link below).

Hotel guests who are joining the Michigan Ave group or the museum group can meet Jane D’Oh! in the lobby at 10:30 a.m. for transportation downtown. Those who will be joining the architectural boat tour only will be on their own for transportation.

Persian dinner at Reza’s
Host: Eva Luna
*Time: *6 p.m.
Cost: $15-$20 per person
*Meeting place:*in front of Reza’s

Pizza dinner at Lou Malnati’s
Host: bristlesage
Time: 6:30 p.m.
Cost: $10-$15 per person
Meeting place: In front of Lou Malnati’s

Drinking & Revelry at Black Rock
Host: The loving arms and hardworking shoulders of Chicago
Time: 8:00 p.m.
Cost: $3-6 per drink (non-alcoholic drinks are $2)
Meeting place: in the back party room
Evites have been sent out. If you haven’t received the Evite, please send your e-mail address to ekgund at hotmail and I will add you to the invitation list. Contrary to the linked page, Black Rock does not serve food. However, they do allow you to bring in outside food, so if you haven’t eaten, that’s something to keep in mind. This is a 21+ bar, so if you’re underage you probably won’t be able to get in. If you’re interested, I can give you contact information and you can try to work something out with the bar’s owners, similar to last year.

SUNDAY, MAY 23

Miniature golf & batting cages at Novelty Golf, then lunch at Superdawg Drive-In
Host: Miss Creant
Time: 11 a.m.
Cost: $12 for golf, $7 for lunch
Meeting place: Novelty Golf hut
We’re thinking that most people will be driving/hitching a ride to this one, but if you require directions on public transportation I’d be happy to supply them.

Uptown Poetry Slam at the Green Mill
Host: Eva Luna
Time: 6:00 p.m.
Cost: $6 plus cost of drinks ($4-$7 each)
Meeting place: in front of the Green Mill
Note: The Green Mill is a 21+ bar, so if you’re underage, you probably won’t be able to get in.

Some free local activities:
[ul]
[li]Lincoln Park Zoo [/li][li]Chicago Cultural Center [/li][li]Ba’hai Temple [/li][/ul]

Final notes: For those who are planning to take public transportation, $9 CTA 2-day visitor passes (and $12 3-day passes) are available for online purchase. These give you unlimited rides. I recommend getting them ahead of time if possible so you don’t have to mess around with the fare machines or stop at a currency exchange. The CTA’s website also has a trip planner for getting directions via bus and train, as well as general tourist information.

From Eva Luna, theChicago International Youth Hostel is low-cost lodging right in the middle of downtown. Make your reservations early!

And, Jane D’oh! still has a few hotel rooms available for $65/night + tax. If you’re interested, e-mail Jane as soon as possible at jdoh16 @ yahoo.com with your real name. She’ll post an updated reservation list a couple of weeks before ChiDope weekend.

Whee! ChiDope! Yay yay yay! I can’t wait to see everyone!

I’d like to suggest/request/whatever that we go dancing at some point. Possibly Friday night after the '80s party? Anyone interested?

Emails have been dispatched.

We be headed for Chicago.

Yay! Good job…you didn’t mess up the coding or anything. :wink:

You already know my plans…I’ll be at your place Thursday afternoon to help with any set up. Then off for debauchery.

Thanks for staying on top of all the details and being all organized and junk. :slight_smile:

The countdown begins

42 days til ChiDope 2004!!!

I haven’t been to Chicago in years, and the weekend that I will be there this year is the same weekend as ChiDope (and the Cubs-Cards series). Wow. I don’t currently have any plans for Saturday night, and if I don’t hear from some old friends, then ChiDope sounds like a good alternative. Can I use this as a contingency plan?

imthjckaz, you should get the Evite any minute now.

Dignan, that’s hunky dory by me – if you want to get the invites, then send me your e-mail address.

laserkitty and I are 80% on being there.

Got it.

Thanks.

I received Jane D’oh!'s email too.

Weeeeeee!!

I will send out my Evites over the weekend, I swear I will!

Likewise - an eVite will also be put out this weekend for the Shedd Aquarium/Museum of Surgical Science trip. My apologies for the tardiness of the eVite, but me no have computer at workee yet. Stupid complete lack of computing ability.

[bump]

The Reza’s Evite is sent! If you don’t get yours shortly, please let me know. I will send the Poetry Slam a bit later, since it seemed like there was less interest in that anyway.

Oh, yeah. If anyone is interested, I can captain a trip to the Field Museum and tell you everything you ever wanted to know about Sue the T-Rex. If not, no skin off my nose, I shall do…something else.

An evite has been sent for the Saturday afternoon architectural boat tour. If you’d like an invite and didn’t receive one, please email me at ashleyba at comcast dot net.

An eVite has also been sent out for the aquarium/surgical science museum tour. If you didn’t get one and want to come, please email me at zanshin0023 at hotmail.com.

I’m considering flying (its cheap! Really! Last time I flew to Chicago and back from St. Louis, it cost me $70 - about the same it would cost me in gas). What’s the closest airport to where we’re meeting - or Gundy’s house? Is it O’Hare?

Sperfur, if you’re getting a room at Chateau Jane, O’Hare’s the best bet. You can get to my place on the train from Midway, but it’ll take you longer. I only put directions from O’Hare on the evite – if you need directions from Midway, please let me know and I’ll e-mail them to you.

Is it too late to throw my name into ring? I have a friend in Chicago that says he’s willing to put up with me for a few nights (as long as I promise to leave eventually) so I’d just have to come up with gas and activity funds.

I’d like to make it to the 80s party (as long as I don’t have to check my body and soul at the door), the Shedd, dinner at Reza’s, and Black Rock at least. I’m not sure what day I’ll be leaving yet but also the Green Mill.

sperfur and I may carpool up there. I have a minivan so I could do some transportation duty while there. Email’s been sent to Gundy.
Can’t believe you guys were planning all this fun and not tell me about it. sniff

That itinerary sounds great! It’s killing me that I can’t make it up this year. Youse have fun, play safe and someone have a cold one for me!
You ChiDopers are so lucky to have SuperGundy and her posse organizing things for you!

I DO want to be there!

The first house we owned was a 3-flat at Foster & Broadway – just a short walk north of there.

What was the movie that blew up the Green Mill?