The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > The BBQ Pit

Old 04-13-2004, 10:15 PM

A Big Fuck You, Pizza Hut

Last night, after a long day at work, I decided to order take away for dinner. I rummaged through the reams of junk mail, and decided to order pizza from Pizza Hut. After going through the usual shit, with the order, I was told by some punky kid on minimum wage, that we dont deliver to your area. I asked him, then how come you send me crap mail that you do? "Um I dunno" was his response. And then he hung up on me. I rang the manager straight away, and told him what had happened. Like that made any difference!!!

Its not like I live in some backburner hicktown, population 20!! Theres a fucking Pizza Hut Store not even 5kms from me. And after this episode, there was NO WAY I was going to get in the car, and pick it up myself.

Anyway, Pizza Hut, thanks to your incompetence, Ive found a pizza parlour that makes better pizzas, and DOES deliver.
Advertisements  
Old 04-13-2004, 10:35 PM

In my experience it would be more noteworthy if you found a pizza parlour that doesn't make better pizza. Around here Pizza Hut is the pits, my local one went broke.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:43 PM

Yeah, I don't understand the Dominos jokes they make on the Simpsons. Here it's by far the preferable option. Especially since my local one does a student deal where a large pizza costs 6 bucks. Or 3 dollars 'merkin.
Old 04-13-2004, 10:55 PM

So, rather than them just buying a page of space for coupons in the shitty "Weekly Values" newspaper that everyone gets once a week in the mail --

You're suggesting that it's more feasible for them to keep and maintain a database of every mailing address in the United States who falls within one of their delivery areas, keeping a tight audit so that no one gets anything who falls outside their delivery areas, Then of course, since they have a subset of customers that only they want to reach and it doesn't overlap with any other local businesses, they then have to create flyers/pamphlets/coupons, and address and seal and mark each for bulk mailing.

I wonder why someone else hasn't thought of that already? It sounds like a great idea.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:19 PM

Dude, you should call them, order pizza to go, and never go out to get it.
If they call back, tell them you made a mistake and that their restaurant falls outside your pick-up area.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:23 PM

All this because of pizza?

You must lead a very stressful life, Phizer.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:30 PM

Pizza Hut has been on my shit list since this January. The country was in the throes of that horrible flu going around, and I stopped into a Pizza Hut to have lunch with my son. My lunchtime entertainment ended up being a manager, on a cell phone at a nearby table, loudly telling another manager that he pretty much didn't believe in any sort of sick leave policy. They went into quite a discussion about an assistant manager at another store who dared to stay home with the flu and how she was going to be reprimanded.

I wrote a letter to corporate, pointing out it's a shitty policy. Okay, I know it goes on everywhere, but I thought I'd say something, especially since the manager was caught saying it as plain as day.

If that wasn't bad enough, I never got a reply. Not even a canned one.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:40 PM

That's when you pick up your pizza, walk over to the manager, and loudly say, "You mean this pizza is covered in flu germs?", drop the pizza in front of him and leave.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silentgoldfish
Yeah, I don't understand the Dominos jokes they make on the Simpsons. Here it's by far the preferable option. Especially since my local one does a student deal where a large pizza costs 6 bucks. Or 3 dollars 'merkin.

But Dominos tried to kill me! Repeatedly!

Okay, so they just slip shiny-slippery-paper ads under the door of my dorm room every week or so, and I've stepped blindly on a few while entering my room...but one header into my dresser as the surface under my foot suddenly took on the traction of teflon was enough to send me to Pizza places who don't practice booby-trap advertising methods whenever I get the urge for delivery.

Dominos is eeeevil.
Old 04-13-2004, 11:56 PM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroman
If they call back, tell them you made a mistake and that their restaurant falls outside your pick-up area.
HAH! Genius!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:36 AM

Yeap, Pizza Hut is crap aint it?

Hey Phizer, is your area a high crime zone? Methinks the Pizza Hut guys got mugged too many times...
Old 04-14-2004, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rabid_Squirrel
Yeap, Pizza Hut is crap aint it?

Hey Phizer, is your area a high crime zone? Methinks the Pizza Hut guys got mugged too many times...
Im in a suburb of Melbourne Australia, which has a relativelyt low crime rate. Ironically, the area the pizza hut shop is in, has a much higher one!!!
Old 04-14-2004, 01:11 AM

i tried to order from "shitty hut" once. it went something like this:
them: what's your address mr spades
me: i live at 9999 lankaster ave.
them:we don't deleaver there.
me: but your located on lankaster ave.
me:i live on lankaster ave
me: your only about a mile up the street!
me: i don't underst..
them:we don't deleaver there. *click*

i haven't eaten pizza hut since. never again
Old 04-14-2004, 05:42 AM

In fairness to the phone clerk, he is not the one who mails out coupons. He has no idea who mails out coupons. The people who mail out the coupons likely don't even work for Pizza Hut and don't know that either you or the local franchise exist.
Old 04-14-2004, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phizer
Its not like I live in some backburner hicktown, population 20!! Theres a fucking Pizza Hut Store not even 5kms from me. And after this episode, there was NO WAY I was going to get in the car, and pick it up myself.
I get ads for Pizza Hut, Dominoes, and Papa Johns once in a while but they're all a minimum of 26 miles away from my house. Of course I do happen to live in Backburner Hicktown, USA.

Marc

Formerlly known as MGibson
Old 04-14-2004, 06:48 AM

I often sway between liking Pizza Hut and hateing them. Their pizza's are nice, and last month they even gave me a free one.

BUT, I moved in December. And we got a Pizza Hut leaflet too. It said they deliered within X (can't remember how many) miles. I lived in that area. So I phoned them up and got

Them "Sorry, we don't deliver in your area."
Me "But I live within X miles from the restaurent."
Them "No you don't"

Official Doper Brat
Old 04-14-2004, 06:51 AM
Charter Member

Well, gee, the "punk" on the phone sounds like a real piece of shit. After all, he only makes minimum wage! Too bad he hung up before you could give him the reaming he so richly deserved.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:12 AM

I gotta e-mail your woman to see why it is you were ordering pizza???

Oh yea, and fuck Pizza Hut - they suck! Glad you found a better pie!

Yogini
Old 04-14-2004, 08:17 AM
Mostly harmless
Charter Member

I live a mile and a half from a Papa John's that won't deliver to me because I'm outside of their area. The one that DOES deliver is 4 miles away. Go figure.
I'd hit that. -- Alice the Goon
Old 04-14-2004, 08:49 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mouthbreather
So, rather than them just buying a page of space for coupons in the shitty "Weekly Values" newspaper that everyone gets once a week in the mail --

You're suggesting that it's more feasible for them to keep and maintain a database of every mailing address in the United States who falls within one of their delivery areas, keeping a tight audit so that no one gets anything who falls outside their delivery areas, Then of course, since they have a subset of customers that only they want to reach and it doesn't overlap with any other local businesses, they then have to create flyers/pamphlets/coupons, and address and seal and mark each for bulk mailing.

I wonder why someone else hasn't thought of that already? It sounds like a great idea.
Actually, that wasn't far from the case at the newspaper I worked at 8 years ago...we had like 15 different "zones" we inserted advertisements for. Sure, there might be some overlap, but it's not like people in an entirely different community would get inappropriate advertisements. I wouldn't think it would be prohibitively expensive to narrow down the range of the far-flung "weekly value" inserts. Not out of cost consideration or morals, but as a marketing consideration: as the OP has shown, it's bad PR to advertise in an area you do not service.
Old 04-14-2004, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by vunderbob
I live a mile and a half from a Papa John's that won't deliver to me because I'm outside of their area. The one that DOES deliver is 4 miles away. Go figure.
I don't exactly know about other Pizza Huts, But the location i work for at the moment does not deliver. The one that does has a specific boundry laid down by corporate of its area, the south and west side neighborhoods of a small city, maybe a 5-8 minute drive from the store max. That unfortunately does tend to piss people off, and you can't do much about it.

Some lady Bitched me out over the phone for a moment last summer, All because the location i am based out of doesn't deliver. She claimed we delivered to her last time. Folks, how can we deliver a pizza when we don't have delivery vehicles or any equipment for delivery?

Corporate and Franhisee is beginning the process to turn us into a delivery facility But at least we'll have a decent range with 2 more local location going delivery as well, to cover a good chunk of my city.

Thats all it comes down to, the corporate and the Franchisee.

By the Way, for the first post, The Coupon books seem to have a wide range. I know the one they send out covers Three counties. And it also pays to read the print on the goddamn things, among which is Delivery not available in all areas.

~SkY~

Can you Please show us on the doll where the bad diety touched you? -stpauler
Old 04-14-2004, 09:12 AM

There's a Pizza Hut about a block and a half away from my house that doesn't deliver anywhere, they only do sit down dining and pick up. The one that does deliver is 5 miles away.

As far as I'm concerned, Domino's is tastier and cheaper. And those buffalo chicken kicker things are awesome.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyAsAnOldMan
Pizza Hut has been on my shit list since this January. The country was in the throes of that horrible flu going around, and I stopped into a Pizza Hut to have lunch with my son. My lunchtime entertainment ended up being a manager, on a cell phone at a nearby table, loudly telling another manager that he pretty much didn't believe in any sort of sick leave policy. They went into quite a discussion about an assistant manager at another store who dared to stay home with the flu and how she was going to be reprimanded.

I wrote a letter to corporate, pointing out it's a shitty policy. Okay, I know it goes on everywhere, but I thought I'd say something, especially since the manager was caught saying it as plain as day.

If that wasn't bad enough, I never got a reply. Not even a canned one.

Pizza Hut has been on my shit list since Dec. 29th, 2003.

Much for this very same reason. My daughter had the flu and I could not take her to day care. Another store's manager told me I *had* to come to work, he didn't care if my daughter was sick. I did not go in.

The offical policy is that the employee has to call in at least 4 hours before their shift or they get wrote up. My personal feelings ( when I was in charge ) was that if you were sick, I did not want you preparing and serving food. I did not have problems with people calling in sick.
Old 04-14-2004, 09:58 AM

I find that the mom and pop pizza places are much better. If there's not one near where I'm ordering from I find something else to eat. I can't stomach Pizza Hut, Dominoes, or Papa John's. Ick.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Libertarian
In fairness to the phone clerk, he is not the one who mails out coupons. He has no idea who mails out coupons. The people who mail out the coupons likely don't even work for Pizza Hut and don't know that either you or the local franchise exist.
In fairness to the OP, his only complaint about the phone clerk was that he hung up. It seems reasonable to expect to be treated courteously on the phone by someone who receives part of the money you pay for the pizza in exchange for treating customers courteously on the phone.

As far as the performance of the advertiser, are you saying that there is some rogue advertising agency going around putting flyers on peoples' doorsteps, just trying to get Pizza Hut in trouble? Interesting if true.

For a libertarian, your post contains a pretty unorthodox view of taking responsibility for one's actions. What if the OP had ordered a pizza and it showed up with axle grease on it instead of cheese? Would that be Pizza Hut's fault, or would it be the OP's fault for not specifically requesting an axle-grease-free pizza?
Old 04-14-2004, 10:22 AM

Pfft.

I don't have a phone at home. I've got a cable modem and a cell phone, so why would I need one?

It turns out, to order pizza from The Hutt.

I can order from anyone else over my cell phone. I can place online orders with anyone else. But not Pizza Hut.

Guess that's why I haven't had Pizza Hut in over 3 years, although I order pizza once or twice a month...

-Joe
Old 04-14-2004, 10:29 AM

Pizza Hut is good as long as you don't mistake it for food. Once about every 2 or 3 years I give 'em a break with nasty results. But if you have lots of wood furniture that is liiking kinda dry, a slab of that grease-ball crust is just the ticket for the high-gloss luster you want!

My vote goes to the place run by the NY transplant couple down the street. They're funny as hell to listen to in the kitchen as well.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:30 AM
Charter Member

Am I the only one who likes Pizza Hut pizza?
I'm a big fan of their $5 lunch buffet. Mmmm... pizza....

[exaggerated pop-culture Italian accent] Why you fucka de Pizza Hut-a? [/accent]
Old 04-14-2004, 10:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thudlow Boink
Am I the only one who likes Pizza Hut pizza?
I'm a big fan of their $5 lunch buffet. Mmmm... pizza....

[exaggerated pop-culture Italian accent] Why you fucka de Pizza Hut-a? [/accent]
I'm with you, I prefer Pizza Hut to Domino's by far, and even frozen to Dominos.
Old 04-14-2004, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy
HAH! Genius!

Happens all the time... we donate them to the food bank get a tax write-off, a higher cost loss ratio and YOUR pizza goes up and up in price. Yeah, really hurts us a lot..
Old 04-14-2004, 10:58 AM

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snooooopy
HAH! Genius!

Happens all the time... we donate them to the food bank get a tax write-off, a higher cost loss ratio and YOUR pizza goes up and up in price. Yeah, really hurts us a lot..

And yeah, sometimes the dividing lines are pretty arbitrary. But thats not the fault of the poor kid on the phone who is listening to you be an ass.

So DON'T order, its that simple.

And for God's Sake, its ONLY a pizza. It's not like we're talking emergency medical care here.

Your Pizza Hut delivery driver
Old 04-14-2004, 10:59 AM

Pizza Hut is usually my favorite pizza, but they really drive me crazy sometimes.

Back when I was living with my parents, our closest PH finally began delivering. We live outside of the city limits, but only about 8-10 minutes from the PH. If we gave driving directions that included the phrase "turn north off of 600N..." they would not deliver (saying we were out of their area). But if we simply said, "turn left off of 600N..." we would soon be eating a tasty pizza.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by neuroman
I can't beleive I never thought of doing that! Next week I'll give it a try and report back.
Old 04-14-2004, 11:05 AM

I also get ads for pizza places nowhere near my area. The worst one is Papa John's....I would kill, KILL DAMN YOU for a Papa John's pizza, but alas, I think the nearest one is in California.

Anyway, there's three Pizza Huts here, and I can never remember which is the one that will deliver to me. It usually involves at least two phone calls, two readings of my address and one snotty jerkoff telling me they don't deliver to my area and they'd be really surprised if anyone did (they actually say this; apparently, even though I live IN THE MIDDLE OF TOWN, I am untouchable and unworthy of pizza), but I always eventually find the right one. Unlike others, I've been very impressed with Pizza Hut's quality as of late. They used to taste like cheese-flavoured ass, but now it's pretty tasty and reminds me of Izzy's, which, once again, isn't around here.
O fuck it! I'm a monster! I admit it!
Old 04-14-2004, 11:45 AM

I prefer the CiCi's buffet, if only for their tasty, tasty chocolate-and-powdered-sugar-covered pizza dough.

MMMMMM!
Old 04-14-2004, 12:47 PM

Ok here's my favorite we don't deliver in your area story. Our little town ran out of phone numbers with the xxx prefix so when we moved in we got yyy prefix instead. Call to order a pizza and get the "we don't deliver....." BS. I reply, that I just saw them deliver a pizza to my next door neighbor, repeats "we don't......"

The absurd thing about this is I live on a cul-de-sac and they have to drive by my house to get to my neighbor's.

And before anyone suggests I was calling a different branch, I called the neighbor and got the number from them.

We used to order pizza on a weekly basis at our old house. Now we haven't ordered a pizza for over 4 years. Another loss for corporate America.
Old 04-14-2004, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Krisfer the Cat
Yeah, bullshit.

I worked at Pizza Hut damn near three years, and I'll bet the destination of the unclaimed pizzas go the same place now as they did then: Home with the employees...

-Joe
Old 04-14-2004, 02:00 PM

I worked in a cable company in London and on more than one occasion I had to tell prospective customers

"I'm sorry, according to our records your house doesn't exist."

To which they would understandably respond something like "What the hell are you talking about? I'm in my house right now. I'm certain it exists."

But the originators of our company had made the database many years ago, and it was organized by address (ie each address had an entry). This was convenient for when one customer moved out and another moved into the same address (we had all the info about the property on file), but we were not permitted to make new entries.

So some people just went without cable.

Systems are stupid, sometimes.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:03 PM

I happen to like Pizza Hut, though I'm sure the local places are even better.

My wife, on the other hand, refuses to get pizza from anywhere but Pizza Hut. Why? Because they're the only pizza place that makes buffalo wings the way she likes them -- not too oily, not too hot, not too difficult to keep down. Ah, marriage...
Electric Escape -- Information superhighway rest area #10,186
Old 04-14-2004, 02:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrankyAsAnOldMan
I stopped into a Pizza Hut to have lunch with my son.

Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me that in Ann Freakin' Arbor, your choices of pizzerias is so slim that you would choose to go to a Pizza Hut?! I don't get it. I mean, even here in Kalamazoo we have Bilbo's and Roma's, which are pizza heaven. Surely you UofM people must be able to make a decent pizza.
Old 04-14-2004, 02:06 PM

Pizza Hut pizza = Wonder Bread with catsup.
Old 04-14-2004, 04:15 PM

Folks, you 're all missing the point. The reason Pizza Hut says they can't deliver to your area is because the 17 year old driver doesn't have a car that night!
Old 04-14-2004, 06:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merijeek
Pfft.

I don't have a phone at home. I've got a cable modem and a cell phone, so why would I need one?

I can order from anyone else over my cell phone. I can place online orders with anyone else. But not Pizza Hut.

Guess that's why I haven't had Pizza Hut in over 3 years, although I order pizza once or twice a month...

-Joe
Ah man, this reminds me of the time I had to drive my X to the emergency room when he got injured at work. We were stuck there for a few hours and were understandably FAMISHED by the time we were ready to leave. We knew we'd be stuck there for another 10 or 15 minutes while he finished up some paperwork and then it was a 10 minute drive home. The local Pizza Hut NEVER delivered quicker than 45 minutes. Ever.

So we decided to order from my cell phone before leaving the hospital so we'd only have to wait 10 or 15 minutes for the pizza to get there, as opposed to 45 minutes to an hour.

The guy taking the order asked for my home phone, so I gave him my home phone, then told him I was ordering from another location, via cell and if they needed to verify the order (which in our mulitple years of pizza ordering history they'd never done) to do it on my cell. We ordered 2 medium pizzas. Hardly an unusual order. Not to mention we were in their database and ordered our "usual."

We get home, get settled and wait. And wait. About an hour goes by. No pizza. The hell? I noticed then I had a message on my home voicemail.

"This is so and so from Pizza Hut calling to verify your order. Since you didn't pick up the phone we're CANCELLING YOUR ORDER!"

I cannot recreate here how pissed we were. Number one, my outgoing message had my name on it, the same name that was in their database with my address and previous order history. I placed an order consistant with my ordering history with one small change. The time stamp on the voicemail showed the message was left approximately 2 or 3 minutes after I placed the order when I told the guy I was calling from a cell phone, en route home from the hospital! Why would he call my home phone two minutes later to verify something that was the opposite of what I told him??

Argh!

Two years ago and the shit still pisses the hell outta me.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elfbabe
All this because of pizza?

You must lead a very stressful life, Phizer.
But Elfbabe, we're talking about PIZZA! There is almost nothing more stressful than being knocked back for a pizza when it's late and you're starving. Except maybe finding another Pizza place and then having to wait another fucking hour for that Pizza.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:46 PM
Charter Member

or fixing yourself a dish of cereal.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merijeek
Pfft.

-Joe
Bullshit back at you baby.

You can use a cell phone OR the internet to order from our store.
Old 04-14-2004, 07:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoldOnThere
Folks, you 're all missing the point. The reason Pizza Hut says they can't deliver to your area is because the 17 year old driver doesn't have a car that night!

Have to be 18 to drive delivery in Utah...

your state may vary
Old 04-14-2004, 10:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmulax93
Wait, wait, wait. You're telling me that in Ann Freakin' Arbor, your choices of pizzerias is so slim that you would choose to go to a Pizza Hut?! I don't get it. I mean, even here in Kalamazoo we have Bilbo's and Roma's, which are pizza heaven. Surely you UofM people must be able to make a decent pizza.
I admit it: I had a hankerin' for the Hut. There are great choices in Ann Arbor, sure, but I grew up on Pizza Hut, and there it was, glistening in the sunlight, beckoning us in as we were running errands....
Old 04-15-2004, 02:05 AM
BANNED

I hate their freakin' online ordering "system". I live in a small town outside Charlotte, North Carolina that has 3 major roads. I live on one of these roads. Yet Pizza Hut's system refuses to acknowledge my address, no matter how I try to enter it: SOUTHPOINT ROAD, SOUTH POINT ROAD, SOUTHPOINT RD, SOUTH POINT RD, HWY 273... Nothing works. "Address not found in out database". Even if I try lower numbers (like "10 Southpoint Road"), it still fails to recognize the damn address. And I can call them for delivery anytime; it's just that the missus and I usually order when we're hungover, so I'm really not too keen on talking to someone and would prefer to order online. This is the sole reason why when it's really bad I order from Papa Johns, 'cos thier online system actually works. You'd think in a small town where the high school and several businesses have "Southpoint" in their names, someone at the local store would have it fixed but no. I've written corporate a letter and left feedback on their site and I too received nothing, not even a form letter or form email. Fucking corporate America.
Old 04-15-2004, 03:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael
Pizza Hut pizza = Wonder Bread with catsup.

I consider that an insult to wonder bread and catsup.

As for me, I like Pizza Hut, but only their pasta. If a pizza place doesn't carry pasta or hoagies then forget it. I gave up on pizza years ago.