The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Cafe Society

Old 04-16-2004, 10:19 AM

Cinematographer vs. DP

That would be Director of Photography rather than Double Penetration.

Film pros: What's the difference between a Director of Photography and a Cinematographer?
Advertisements  
Old 04-16-2004, 10:42 AM

Well, I suppose this should wait until a real "film pro" turns up to answer this, but the IMDB Glossary offers this distinction:
Quote:
Director of Photography:
A cinematographer who is ultimately responsible for the process of recording a scene in the manner desired by the director. The Director of Photography has a number of possible duties: selection of film stock, cameras, and lenses; designing and selecting lighting, directing the gaffer's placement of lighting; shot composition (in consultation with the director); film developing and film printing.

Cinematographer:
A person with expertise in the art of capturing images either electronically or on film stock through the application of visual recording devices and the selection and arrangement of lighting. The chief cinematographer for a movie is called the director of photography.
Thus, in the most common case (where there is only one cinematographer working on a film), there doesn't seem to be any real difference between the two terms. I note that other websites seem to use them interchageably. For example, this page starts off a definition of "cinematographer" by saying
Quote:
The job of the cinematographer (sometimes called the Director of Photography) is both technical and artistic....
Old 04-16-2004, 11:38 AM

Cinematographer/DP chiming in here.

They are exactly the same thing.

There is much discussion on this at www.cinematography.com in the forums. Some say there is a tendency for european crews to say DP and american to say cinematographer... or maybe that was the other way around.

They are the same job, though.
"The enforcement regime consists of three phases. We have pleasant names for them, of course, but you might think ofthem, respectively, as: one, a polite reminder; two, well in excess of your pain threshold; three, spectacularly fatal." - The Diamond Age - Neal Stephenson
Official Doper Brat Pack Assistant. Food and Drink Tester. *hic*
Old 04-16-2004, 12:50 PM

The only real difference I can think of is that I don't remember ever seeing the title "Cinematographer" in a movie credit. It's always "Director of Photography" (or I know sometimes in Europe, "Cinematography by...")

This is from memory and I'd be happy to hear exceptions to this (though trusting the IMDB in this regard would be a mistake).
Old 04-16-2004, 02:03 PM

IMDb has an "Ask the Expert" column where they have three working professionals respond to submitted inquiries about their jobs. There's a screenwriter, a director, and a cinematographer. The cinematographer is Oliver Stapleton, who has shot a number of movies you're all familiar with. This exact question came up within the last few weeks, and his response matches FilmGeek's: There is no official difference between the terms.

Unfortunately, the site seems to be down at the moment, so I can't link to the column in question. Whenever it comes back up, though, the column can be found off the archive link on this page:

http://us.imdb.com/Indie/Ask/
Old 04-16-2004, 05:22 PM

Site's back up, here's the link.
Old 04-16-2004, 07:23 PM

Didn't they used to call them "Lighting Cameramen" in the UK?
Old 04-16-2004, 11:07 PM

Actually, you will very occasionally still see that title. Kubrick used it on Eyes Wide Shut, for example, mostly because he was so hands-on with the shooting that he didn't think it was appropriate to give somebody full credit as cinematographer. Kinda egotistical, maybe, but if anybody can justify it it's him.