The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 04-17-2004, 09:07 PM
Charter Member

Will a smashed cockroach attract more roaches?

A friend was about to smash a roach in his house the other day, another friend said "I wouldn't do that, they'll only come back in greater numbers". He smashed it anyways, and the other guy said "now you've done it, enjoy your infestation".

This sounds like a load of crap to me, don't most things retreat when they smell their own dead? Might the dead roach be a source of food for the other roaches?

Snopes had nothing, and Orkin's closed. Anybody know?
Advertisements  
Old 04-17-2004, 09:10 PM

That seems to be crap to me. My house has never been one to be overrun with bugs though. I'm pretty sure the biggest attractors for roaches and the like are conditions where they have food that can't be seen by us. One extra roach ain't nuttin'.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:14 PM
Charter Member

I stomped a roach once, but didn't kill it - I just smashed the back half of him. He was stuck to the floor, waving his legs around. Immediately, two more roaches ran out and started eating him while he was still kicking. I thought that was pretty rude, so I stomped them, too.

But yeah, I'm done."
(El Goonish Shive)
Old 04-17-2004, 10:21 PM

Not really, sayeth the Master.
Old 04-17-2004, 10:49 PM

I come from a long line of entomologists.

No. What being misapplied is the notion that for every Blatta you see, there's 102 hidden in the wall.

Completely irrelevant story about my mom:

My mom is an entomologist (big suprise[just like my dad] Wood's hole and all that). In one project, she studied the effect various chemicals had on cockroach hind gut. So she'd cut a wood roach's legs and head off before extracting it's hind gut. She had problem with the heads trying to escape, pulling themselves along by their mandibles.

Extra double irrelevant story about my brother

My brother studied the effects of gram-positve and gram-negative antibiotics on the reproductive abilities of Blatta. Turns out there's some disgusting bacterial symbiosis in [Blatta procreation. In other news, my brother is now on tenure tract. Yeah!

Double-super irrelevant story about my dad

He's spending the next month cataloging the lygaeidae collection at the Smithsonian in D.C. He's a taxonomist.

I chose physics as my degree, so I work with computers. My dad thinks I missed my calling in entomology. Ha!
Old 04-17-2004, 11:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmizzou
Not really, sayeth the Master.
Actually, it's not the Master, but SD staff Doug.

If I may be blunt, I thought his report was kinda flimsy. So I delved deeper here:
Comments on Staff Reports: Does the smell of squished cockroach attract other roaches?

However, while I was able to clarify them, Doug's conclusions pretty well stood intact.

One line from that other thread is worth repeating here:
Quote:
First, she found roaches prefer to walk on fecal material rather than a clean surface.
Old 04-17-2004, 11:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NotMrKnowItAll
She had problem with the heads trying to escape, pulling themselves along by their mandibles.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kyle Reese
Listen. And understand. That terminator is out there. It can't be bargained with. It can't be reasoned with. It doesn't feel pity, or remorse, or fear. And it absolutely will not stop, ever, until you are dead.
Heh. Amazing what you can do, when you don't go into shock.
Old 04-18-2004, 12:05 AM

Ahh, thanks for the clarification, dqa.