Have a few extra dollars to donate to save wolves?

I’m not affiliated with this organization in any way, and I’ve gotten permission to post this link.

I made a donation, and I’m asking others to do the same.
This donation is tax-deductible, and if you donate $25 or more you will get a cute stuffed toy.
Defenders of Wildlife
“Help stop the aerial killing of wolves in Alaska and support other critical programs to protect America’s wolves by making an emergency tax-deductible contribution to Defenders of Wildlife.”

Thanks for the info. I’m adding this one to my “next thing to donate to” list [this isn’t a brush off. It’s just that I’ve made two (small) donations already this week].

Actually, I’m envious of your ingenuity. For the past two weeks I’ve been trying to think of a good way to get the word out about one of my favorite causes, and never thought of doing this!

There is just something especially cowardly and slimey about shooting wolves from the air. Shooting them at all is bad enough…
(unless they’re about to eat your children or something, obviously)

I drove the Alaskan Highway 3 years ago from Dawson Creek B.C. to Fairbanks Alaska. ( A trip I highly recommend BTW). I heard about this from talking to the locals and was totally disgusted. They seemed to be split almost 50-50 on this issue. (A very small sample of course) Wolves are dangerous predators. Wolves beautiful and natural part of the environment. Alaskans take the environment very seriously as a rule.

Anyway I didn’t know there was a movement to stop it. Thanks. I will be getting a nice plush wolf toy very soon. :slight_smile:

Oh wow! I’m insanely jealous! How long a drive is that? Was it just the most beautiful thing ever?

Sorry didn’t see your post earlier. Busy day but words do not describe the beauty. I found myself on several occasions to be a major moving hazard and had to pull over to gauk. I saw Lynx, Elk, black bears, grizzlies and moose within 20 yards. The mountains and rivers simply take your breath away with the stunning beauty. I was truly fortunate to make this trip and my dream is to do it by bike when I retire.

It is very long drive and it took me 2.5 weeks to do it, loop around to Anchorage, and then drive back to Dawson Creek. All tolled it was almost 5000 miles and worth every bit of the discomfort of driving that much. I rented a Dodge Durango in Dawson Creek. 4 wheel drive is highly recommended. There are parts of the hwy that are not well maintained and it snowed in the mountains in early Sept.

I almost forgot the most incredible part of the trip. I took a day trip from Anchorage to a nearby glacier by boat. Sea Lions! and a humpback whale came up so close I swore I could reach out and touch it. The glacier was enormous. We couldn’t get within a half mile and it still looked like it as right on top of me. A huge piece calved off and it was as loud as thunder. Unbelievable. :cool: :cool:

Wow. I’m insanely jealous!!!

Well, it’s always easy to second-guess things from thousands of miles away and to draw conclusions based on a posting on a message board. I’m pretty sure this is how the government makes decisions regarding Alaska as it is. It’s no wonder we tend to have contempt for Outsiders.

That said, I’m in agreement with you on the wolf issue. This was tried some years ago and the resulting threat of damage to the tourism industry killed the plan. Now it’s come up again as a “wildlife management” tool, and Priscilla Feral and the animal rights bunch are up in arms.

Basically, the wolf population has boomed in some areas and it is affecting the moose and caribou populations. By “affecting”, they mean that the hunters don’t have as many animals to shoot at. The Board of Game has couched this in terms of “subsistence hunters” not being able to take enough game to survive, but there is a lot of pressure from hunting guides to increase the moose/caribou populations to boost business.

There is a lot of controversy over this issue here. The Game Board is made up primarily of hunters and guides, the legislature is Republican dominated and the governor is a Pubbie as well. So nothing is going to change any time soon. But a large segment of the population is opposed to this method. My personal view is to live and let live. If you have to compete with wolves for food, then that’s just the way nature intended it.

You’ll notice that the areas for reduction in wolf populations is extremely small compared to the land mass that is Alaska. Ms. Feral’s contention of a “massacre” of wolves is inflammatory.

I’m not sure I am in agreement that preventing them from being shot is the best way to go. Honsetly I don’t know enough on this issue however. I think of wolves as a competetor to that of man and knocking down their number will allow us to harvest more of the prey.

In some ways, I see this close to a campain to help the rats in NYC, except wolves have a better PR agent.

I feel this way about all flavors of hunting. But especially the wolf. They’ve gotten such a bad rap (from farmers, mostly) and they are just such cool animals.

I donate to the National Fish and Wildlife organization (specifically, the Save the Tiger group), which spreads the money out to lots of different causes. However, I’ll have to check to see if they’re in support of the culling method in question.

And “WOW” to Grant on the Alaskan Highway trip. I’ve always wanted to do it…maybe some day.

See, I’m against all forms of hunting, though. I just think this method is especially obnoxious.

I just can’t imagine that thee isn’t a better way than shooting the wolves. Mind you I don’t know what that solution is. As big as Alaska is I would think there is plenty of room for them. Of course I’m a sucker for dogs of any sort. That’s why I have 5. All rescued from various states of mistreatment.