Who owns Fox News?

A lot of people argue the Fox News is a right wing conservative slanted channel.

I was just wondering if anyone has simply followed the money trail to see who actually controls it.

I haven’t find anything clear yet on the Net.

Ever hear of a guy called Rupert Murdoch?

Fox News is owned by News Corp, a publicly traded company. The company is controlled, I don’t know if he is the majority owner though, by Rupert Murdoch.

Newscorp owns FNC. Chairman and CEO of Newscorp is Rupert Murdoch.

:dubious:

Only the liberals say that, FoxNews reports both sides… the liberals have CNN, CBS, ABC and CBS.

No offense, but your web-searching skills are horrible. What exactly were you running searches for? A Google of “fox news owner” popped up 7 of 10 mentions of Rupert Murdoch on the first 10 hits alone, and that is just on the site summary listed under each link.

And only conservatives say that.

A link you may want to check out before your next claim that FOX News is balanced.

With the exception of CNN, I honestly can’t tell one news network from another, based on content. They’re all lowest-common-denominator crap.

Not to drag this into Great Debates, but let’s review some facts:

Fox News’ Chairman/CEO/President is Roger Ailes, President Nixon’s media strategist and President Reagan’s media consultant.

Fox daytime anchor David Asman is formerly of the right-wing Wall Street Journal editorial page and the conservative Manhattan Institute.

The host of Fox News Sunday is Tony Snow, a conservative columnist and former chief speechwriter for the first Bush administration.

Fox News Channel’s senior vice president is John Moody, a long-time journalist known for his staunch conservative views.

Fox’s managing editor is Brit Hume, a veteran TV journalist and contributor to the conservative American Spectator and Weekly Standard magazines.

Fox’s top-rated talk show is hosted by Bill O’Reilly, a columnist for the conservative WorldNetDaily.com and a registered Republican.

Reporters take time off to look for stories that are explicitly conservative or place liberals in a bad light, and say management asks them to make stories more conservative.

Charlie Reina, a Fox News producer for six years, was quoted in the Los Angeles Times on November 1, 2003 as alleging that Fox News executives require the network’s on-air anchors and reporters to cover news stories from a right-wing viewpoint.

More information here.

I don’t know why this gets debated so much. Speaking as a moderate conservative, IMO, yes, of course Fox News has a right-wing slant.

The thing is, all news has some slant. The only truely unbiased channel is C-SPAN, because they’re mostly just raw feeds. There’s NO interpretation at all. One of the best things about Fox News was that it helped to shatter the myth of the objective, neutral journalist.

But what I will say is that Fox is closer to the center than ABC, NBC, CBS or in particular CNN. Fair & Balanced just has a nicer ring to it than Not as Biased™ :smiley:

Plus, Fox doesn’t have any ‘star’ anchormen (i.e. Jennings, Brokaw or Rather). And they don’t ingage in idiotic little anchor/reporter chit-chats after every news story the way the networks do. They don’t dumb things down.

They’re not info-tainment the way the networks (and CNN) are.

The factual question has been answered, so I’ll close this thread. Debates about the political slant of any news outlet is better handled in GD.

bibliophage
moderator GQ