A basic recipe:

1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
1 (4-oz.) jar diced pimiento, drained
1 tsp. Worcestershire sauce
1 tsp. finely grated onion
1/4 tsp. ground red pepper
1 (8-oz.) block extra-sharp Cheddar cheese, finely shredded
1 (8-oz.) block sharp Cheddar cheese, shredded

Stir together first 5 ingredients in a large bowl; stir in cheese.

Then you modify it to suit your family. Everybody's grandmother had a different recipe. Mine, for example, would dump the onions for a touch of onion powder and add some garlic powder as well. You can play with the cheeses as well, so long as 1) sharp cheddar is the backbone, 2) it is freshly grated. Don't use the shredded cheese in a bag from the grocery - it won't turn out the same. I also add some of the juice from the pimientos to the mix. Ree Drummond adds a little adobo from canned chipotles to hers instead of the cayenne. the variations are endless.
Advertisements  
Old 06-27-2016, 01:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baron Greenback View Post
Love olives and looking at those olives in the olive grove? Yeah, don't eat them off the tree even if you are heroically drunk. One of the top three worst things I've ever had in my mouth, and one of the others on that list is baby piss.
Come on, you can't leave us hanging like that.

What's the third one on the list?
Old 06-27-2016, 01:38 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by swampspruce View Post
I'm a big fan of blue cheese or jalapeno stuffed olives in my martinis. Three of them to be precise.
Three olives in a martini is preposterous. They take space away from precious, precious gin.
Old 06-27-2016, 01:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ukulele Ike View Post
Three olives in a martini is preposterous. They take space away from precious, precious gin.
Dig up the late actor, Jack Lemmon, and ask him about olives displacing gin in a martini. He wrote a paper in college on this very subject.
Old 06-27-2016, 03:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quercus View Post
Come on, you can't leave us hanging like that.

What's the third one on the list?
My then-girlfriend's hairspray. She was back-combing her hair after crimping it (we both had goth hair back then, 1986 or so), and I attempted an affectionate ear nibble at the same time she was doing the side I was aiming for. You don't want to have hairspray marketed as "Mega Hold" pass though your mouth on the way to your lungs.
Old 06-27-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
See, I read that as three martinis.
Old 06-27-2016, 06:33 PM

I remember that the first food service we had in college used to put pimentos in just about everything. After some investigation, it turned out that canned Pimento's were cheap, and the someone at the food service decided to buy a damned mess o' them, so they had to use them. Thus, we had Mac and Cheese and Pimento, Mashed Potato and Pimento, Corn and Pimento, etc.

Fortunately, the students rebelled and we got that food service kicked out, and replaced with one that a student committee actually could set the menu for month to month based on a fixed budget. The new people were SOO much better and I can't remember ever seeing another pimento in anything again. True story. It probably should have gone down in history as the great Pimento rebellion.

I find Pimentos to be horrible tasting. It's my theory that they are a foul plot to corrupt our precious bodily fluids.

Last edited by Haldurson; 06-27-2016 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:33 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by madmonk28 View Post
See, I read that as three martinis.
Well, THAT makes a lot more sense.
Old 06-27-2016, 10:36 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Pimientos from a jar ARE bland, compared to freshly roasted and peeled peppers. Which should be laid out on aa attractive platter, topped with good anchovies, drizzled with olive oil, and served with fresh Italian bread and chilled dry sherry.

Or martinis.
Old 06-28-2016, 02:35 AM

Quote:
Which should be laid out on aa attractive platter, topped with good anchovies, drizzled with olive oil, and served with fresh Italian bread and chilled dry sherry.
Little pickled onions go well too. Although personally I tend to prefer pinchos to porciones... the classic banderilla (the first tapa to get an official name) includes a little pickled onion, chunk of freshly-roasted red pimiento, pitted olive (can't stick the toothpick through if it's not pitted), guindilla (hot green pepper) and baby pickle or piece of pickle.
Old 06-28-2016, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Well, THAT makes a lot more sense.
"One martini is all right. Two are too many, and three are not enough," James Thurber

and another favorite:

“I like to have a martini,
Two at the very most.
After three I'm under the table,
after four I'm under my host.”
Dorothy Parker
Old 06-28-2016, 09:11 AM

These days, they're not even actual pimentos anymore. They're pimento puree and sodium alginate which has been gelled up and cut into a strip that's then inserted into the olive.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anny Middon View Post
I can get green olives stuffed not only with pimentos, but with jalapenos, habaneros, garlic, various cheeses, almonds, and anchovies. I am particularly fond of blue cheese or anchovy ones in my martinis, although the others are nice, too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelty Bobble View Post
In the UK too, most olives are sold unstuffed but of those that are stuffed it is mainly green and the fillings used are the same as mentioned in this thread.
Also available in the UK, are green olives stuffed with sun-dried tomatoes (lovely IMO); and we get them stuffed with Greek feta cheese (OK, but not my favourite). I've never encountered blue-cheese-stuffed olives over here: my first instinctive response is not to like the idea much -- but wouldn't unilaterally write blue-cheese-stuffed off without tasting them.
Old 06-28-2016, 09:40 AM

Found in the websites of a couple of brands of olives:
pimiento (actual strips), anchovy, pimiento-and-piñon paste, boquerón (same fish as anchovy but pickled in a way that leaves it white), tuna in escabeche (a vinegar-based sauce), blue cheese, serrano, garlic, chorizo, onion, hot chili, sweet'n'sour chili, hot chorizo, manchego, indian curry, indian massala, strawberry, date, mango, cherry, fig, papaya, coconut, apricot, pineapple, blueberry, kiwi, jalapeños, piri-piri (pepper, not sauce), almonds, pickle.

Last edited by Nava; 06-28-2016 at 09:40 AM.
Old 06-28-2016, 10:58 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pilot141 View Post
My revelation was jalapeno-stuffed olives, but I've also enjoyed the garlic-stuffed ones. Oh, yeah.
Found at CostCo a few weeks ago a large (naturally) jar labeled "Olives stuffed with garlic and jalapeno." We figured it'd be some of one and some of the other but it turned out each was stuffed with both. Nom nom nom. It lasted about a week.
Old 06-29-2016, 07:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by silenus View Post
I don't think we are ever going to document the "Aha!" moment for stuffed olives
I'm pretty sure it was when Archimedes lowered himself into a tub of olives. He realized that fewer olives were displaced if his pushed his fingers, toes, and other miscellaneous dangly bits into the holes of the pitted olives as he exclaimed "Gemista!"
Old 07-04-2016, 07:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ronenfe View Post
I find this whole stuffing thing strange. It's not easy to find just pitted olives without anything stuffed in them.
They are very, very common here in Melbourne. I think that perhaps Greeks didn't get into the "stuffed" olive thing?