Riddick Chronicles trailer

They’ve been running a commercial for the Chronicles of Riddick (the psychopath from Pitch Black). Does anyone else think that it looks like it was written by someone who thought “The Phantom Menace” was a * good * movie?

I know nothing more about the movie than what I’ve seen, but the dialog and premise just seem gratingly awful.

Of course it will be! That’s the whole point. Cheese, baby! Gimme all that Gouda you got!

That’s as good a way as any I can think of to describe the film. It’s obvious from the trailer that it’s going for an ethereal futuristic look with delusions of being a space opera/epic and the results are just laughably cheesy.

I’ll still watch though. I like unintentional B Movies like this. The Core and Armageddon were both good for their kitsch factor and this one looks to rank right up there with them.

Pitch Black was dope. The charcter Riddick is very fun to watch. He apprently does some pretty fucked up shit and fucks up alot of people. None of this means that it will be any good, but I am optimistic. Actually, I can’t wait. . .

Word. I went to see Pitch Black solely because of Radha Mitchell, and was mad impressed with Riddick and the setting and the filming. Very atmospheric.

I think it’s more comparable to Farscape or Beyond the Thunderdome than what Aesiron listed. There’s style here, and I’d like to think the reason Vin turned down other sequels to do this one is because it’s art, baby.

But I think he was just locked into the contract. Still, I’m frothing at the mouth.

Oo! Me too!

Apparently, audiences responded really, really well to Riddick as the anti-hero who becomes a reluctant champion. (Honest, it’s not as cheesy as it sounds.) Riddick somehow became a really compelling character. Kinda like they way Smallville’s Lex Luthor is a complex badguy-by-nature who still has the stirrings of a moral compass. Or Spike back when he started being a goodguy because the chip gave him nothing better to do.

I’m really looking forward to it, but I agree, the trailer looks like they may have ruined the character with cheese.

As I understand it, there was no contractual obligation for a sequel on Diesel’s part. He signed on because he believed in the project (and the $11 million bucks probably didn’t hurt either).

By the way, I checked out your website Rysler, and that one quote is so damn cool:

That should be the tagline for 24! Talk about a timeless quote. . .

DaLovin’ Dj

Hey, thanks! I find it very thought-provoking as well. If you want to hear me ramble incessantly on the political macinations of a Romulan RPG and how that quote bears fruit, just send me a note.

After I posted, I went to check out IMDB… Not only is there Vin, but Judi Dench and Karl Urban. Definately a must-see. And $11 million, eeesh. I can’t imagine that’s not a third of the movie’s budget.

Actually, the trailer reminded me of “DUNE” or some new Dune movie, for some reason.

I probably won’t see it, or wait for video, considering Pitch Black didn’t do much for me.