How the hell do you eat fresh guava?

I bought a couple of guava from the supermarket the other day and they are an unbelievable pain in the ass to eat. There must be about 100 seeds in each one. I tried to eat the seeds but they are so hard and numerous that you can’t concentrate on the guava flavour. To pick out all the seeds leaves you with repetitive strain injury. Also can you eat the skin because I practically ended up eating a whole guava (seeds and all)?

So that’s it, is there a way to eat guava?

I didn’t read it, but oddly enough there was an almost identical thread just a few threads below yours. You might want to take a look http://boards.straightdope.com/sdmb/showthread.php?t=256973
(That has to be the first time I’ve seen two guava threads on one page ever)

Well, if the guavas are completely ripe, the skin should be pretty soft. Then you just eat the whole thing (seeds and all). I remember buying really ripe guavas at the market in Belem (Northern Brazil) and finishing the whole basket by the time we had walked home. Those were delicious!

Hey that is weird. You wait ages for a guava thread and two turn up at once.
The other thread was helpful, it seems the seeds must get softer as the fruit ripens. The seeds in the one I ate were only slightly softer than my teeth. My guava was greenish yellow. The soft-fruit was delicious, kinda had a raspberry tinge to it.

You just swallow the seeds as-they-are, you do not try to grind them down between your molars, that’s a fine way to require repairs to your bridgework. The key is that when ripe enough, you do not need to really power-chew the fruit, just mush it up to the point you can swallow, seeds and all.

You should see the small “feral” varieties – under the rind it’s almost a solid spherical layer of seeds around the flesh.

Since there’s a very smilar thread (linked to above), I’ll close this one and direct further comment to the other.

bibliophage
moderator GQ