Are license plates still made by prisioners?

We always used to hear that license plates were made by prisioners. But, I would guess not anymore, in this day and age. I would bet that this hasn’t been the case for many years, but this may vary by state (I’m in Florida). I would imagine that states have contracts with private companies to make their license plates. But, I can’t find any information on the companies, the process of how the plate is made, etc. Anyone care to point me to a web site with any details?

In many states, yes, license plates are still made by prisoners.

For instance, a blurb on Wymoing, circa 2002:

California’s license plate factory is at Folsom:

http://www.corr.ca.gov/InstitutionsDiv/INSTDIV/facilities/fac_prison_FSP.asp

Yes, they still are in many states. If you look at your receipt when you get a new set of plates, you’ll see one of the charges listed is a Prison Industry Fee, typically from $0.50 to $1.00. You can also refer to your state’s DMV website. For example, Nevada

Help stamp out licences plates!
Do a stretch in prison.

At one time some state prison farms in AR paid their own way. The prison farms suppled beef, milk and vegetables to the prison and other state institutions. There were very few paid employees in the prison system. Most all guards were trustees. Then came prison reform. :smack:

I don’t know about license plates here, but at least up to a few years ago (I’m not sure about currently) school textbooks were rebound by prisoners when their cheap-ass covers would fall off or whatever. Now as a job-hunting academic librarian I often wonder if the state’s college and university libraries can take advantage of the same service. :slight_smile: Surely it would beat whoever we’re using now who can’t bind a journal run that dosen’t lose pages and has a mousetrap cover, too.