Can you still stay at the YMCA?

Can you still stay at the YMCA?

Besides the song, it seems like this was a phrase you used to hear in old movies a lot: “I’ve been living at the Y.” I’ve certainly never met anyone who’s lived at the Y. Do they still do this anywhere? If not, when did they stop and why?

Some of them.

Sure you can.

And it’s fun.

You can have a good meal.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys …

You can always visit the Salisbury YMCA in Hong Kong. It’s not just a place to stay; it’s one of Hong Kong’s most popular hotels. Located right next door to HK’s most expensive hotel, it has the cheapest harbor views in town.

…especially the ones who are In The Navy.

and you gotta be a MACHO MAN!

From the website Otto linked:

Do you have to be a member; or can anyone use them?

In 1982 I stayed at the KFUM/KFUK (Danish YMCA/YWCA) in Copenhagen. I was not a member, although I did have an International Youth Hostel card.

Well in my town, it would be somewhat against the point. Our YMCA is one of the few affordable places to stay (or live) and is proud of that mission. Membership isn’t cheap.

Seriously? I always thought it was “everything that you’re meant to enjoy”

Whatever.

I have the score right in front of me, and it’s “They have everything for you **there **to enjoy,” though I’d never guess it from the recording.

I stayed at a Y in Sydney last month.

Did you stay at the first or the second one?

Copy/Paste from Lyrics.com

It’s fun to stay at the y-m-c-a.

They have everything for you men to enjoy,
You can hang out with all the boys …

Larf!

Is it really fun to stay there, though?

I can’t speak for nowadays, but in the Village People’s era, they reportedly were VERY fun for certain segments of the population…

At the (a?) YWCA in Boston, a stay of 1 - 28 days also carries a $2(/day, I assume) membership surcharge. A stay of more than 5 weeks carries a $50(/month, I assume) membership surcharge.

Source: http://www.ywcaboston.org/berkeley/rates.html