Bar bars between posts

I’ve been noticing in the last couple days the varying thickness of the blue bars between posts, and I’m wondering why they’re there, and if they actually mean anything!

Yes, the title should be BLUE bars … you’d think that I can type the name of a simple colour.

Another MB that recently upgraded to vbulletin 3 had the blue bars (but with a much darker colour scheme around them)

People started to complain about the blue bars and they were promptly removed by the admins.

They are almost certainly nothing more than cosmetic.

After posting I went and checked out a thread. I never noticed that before, the bar thickness does seem to be almost random between posts. sometimes it’s not there at all.

Another thing I just noticed! If you scroll up and down the thread (without reloading it) the bars change thickness at random! (I mean where there once might have been a thick bar, if you scroll it out of view and then back in, it may become a thin bar or no bar)

You can do the same thing by highlighting them. Dunno why.

What browser(s) are you folks using, and what OS?

All my blue bars are belong to… uh, sorry, what was I saying? Oh yeah, they’re all the same size (about 2 mm) and they’re always there.

(MacOS X, Shiira at the moment, previously OmniWeb, and iCab before that)

In this thread alone, I count three different bar sizes, two posts with no bar at all between them, and no discernable order to the phenom.

Win98se, IE6.something

I’ve been wondering about the bars too. In this thread for me they’re all the same size.

Okay. So now they’re not.

So, if the bar bar of SDMB separates all posts that don’t separate themselves, does the missing echo of Opal’s burning duck end in gry?

But seriously, this has come up before, and I seem to recall that the bar weirdness occurs iff you’re using Internet Explorer. It’s some sort of glitch in the way that IE turns the HTML into something it can see on the screen. When you scroll off the screen or select a bar, that reminds IE to take another look at it, whereupon it generally gets it right.

No, but it does make the baby Jesus use his 1920’s style Death Ray so that when he come back, he bring pie.

Hmmm … the Second Coming … pie …

There are a number of effects this bug can produce.

[post=4491811]My original post on this bug[/post]

[thread=241060]A later thread[/thread]

[thread=262202]A recent thread on this subject in GQ[/thread]

WinME IE6.0.2800.1108

I see both thin and thicker lines. And, on rare occasion, when a page loads, the bars get set to 11. I mean, all I see are blue bars, with the printing over it. A refresh solves that problem. I’m not using a mouse wheel.

:confused:

It definitely seems related directly to IE, as Chronos mentions. I noticed it back when I was using IE, but not in Firefox (my current browser) - that is, the borders are all uniform width in Firefox.

brachyrhynchos, I haven’t heard of your specific problem before, but perhaps it has something to do with the known IE glitch combined with the known wonkiness of Me.

Heh, this is true. WinME can be “fussy.”

I also can’t see font size differences. For some reason, I think this is a recent development (that is, after the board upgrade). For the record, my video card is an ATI XPERT with a wimpy 8MG RAM.

I don’t have any of these problems on my work computer (WinXP, IE6).

I very occasionally get that too.

D’oh! I solved my font problem. I have the “Ignore font size” box checked under Internet Tools, Accessibility options.

I even told someone who was having this problem on these boards how to resolve it.

:smack: :rolleyes:

I have no idea if this is related. This solved a problem of text that didn’t display, but it could be forced to display after selecting it: http://www.sfsmith.com/blog/archives/000075.html

Who says computer folk go overboard on jargon? :rolleyes: