The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > Great Debates

Old 06-21-2004, 11:40 PM

Why didn't Hitler marry Eva Braun sooner?

Flipping through the channels, I caught part of a program about the Hitler Youth organization for young girls. It mentioned how many of them often had crushes on der Fuhrer, and some wanted to be "Mrs. Hitler". Some wondered why he didn't marry.

With the Nazi propaganda for women about being good little hausfraus, her ultimate purposing in being a wife and producing new Aryans, why didn't Hitler set the ultimate example and marry Eva and produce a bunch of little Hitlers?
He supposedly liked little children.

Come to think of it-did Hitler have any bastards?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Flipping through the channels, I caught part of a program about the Hitler Youth organization for young girls. It mentioned how many of them often had crushes on der Fuhrer, and some wanted to be "Mrs. Hitler". Some wondered why he didn't marry.
Supposedly, Hitler was pretty broken up by the suicide of his ex-girlfriend, and really didn't give a hoot about women after that.

Quote:
With the Nazi propaganda for women about being good little hausfraus, her ultimate purposing in being a wife and producing new Aryans, why didn't Hitler set the ultimate example and marry Eva and produce a bunch of little Hitlers?
That wasn't in keeping with a dark haired Austrian talking about how the blond haired blue eyed Germans were the master race.
Quote:
He supposedly liked little children.
With a side order of fries.

Quote:
Not that we know of, but then again, do you think that in post-WWII Germany any woman was going to admit to bearing Hitler's brat?
Old 06-22-2004, 12:07 AM

Ooops, I meant this to be in General Questions. (Although if the mods feel it fits better here, that's fine with me too).
Old 06-22-2004, 12:34 AM

Quote:
It's a guy thing.
Old 06-22-2004, 05:53 AM

Quote:
why didn't Hitler set the ultimate example and marry Eva and produce a bunch of little Hitlers?
he didn't have the balls.

Quote:
Yeah, Goebbels and Goering come to mind.
Old 06-22-2004, 09:56 AM
Charter Member

Hitler's "one true love" was probably his niece, Geli Raubel, and after her suicide he didn't appear to have much inclination toward the ladies. Those close to Hitler would ofetn say of his continued bachelorhood "He considers Germany to be his bride." So between his love for his lost Geli and his "devotion to the job", so to speak, Braun got the short end of the stick. Albert Speer once described her as the most profoundly unhappy person he'd ever met
Old 06-22-2004, 10:22 AM

Hitler, for the most part, kept his relationship with Braun, secret. He almost never appeared in public with her, and even most of the people he was close to didn't know exactly what their relationship was. She was almost his prisoner, isolated at Berchtesgaden and then in Berlin, with only him for company.

Why did he do this? I have no idea. Hitler tended to be jealous and possessive, so that could have been part of it. He also was (ironically for a dictator of a state where privacy became unknown), a private individual, without many intimates and reluctant to share his personal life with the world. Also, he was 23 years older than she was, and he might have been worried about matters of propriety or prestige if their relationship had become public.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:39 AM
Charter Member

Some guys just can't commit.

Picture this
  • Hitler -Voman! Go avay! I ahm busy offerrunning der Sudetenland!
  • Eva -But Shotzi ! (Shotzi the Nazi. Some fun, huh folks?)
  • Hitler -BUT NUZZING! Here I am, Competing vith Stalin offer who can wrrreck hiss Russia faster, me vit der Army or him mit his own goffernment, undt you vish to talk about girly tings. Just like Gobbels.
  • Eva -YOU DON'T BRING ME FLOWERS ANYMORE!
  • Hitler -VOMAN! I BROUGHT YOU POLAND!
  • Eva -But I want to talk about our relationship!
  • Hitler -Oh mein gott! Vhere are der cyanide capsules! Anyting but dott!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:02 PM

Good point. But you'd think he'd at least try for a marriage just for show.

It just seems weird, that's all. (I've also heard evidence that he had Geli killed, or else killed her himself. Poor girl).
Old 06-22-2004, 05:13 PM

Q: Why didn't Hitler get married sooner?

A: He wasn't that crazy!
Old 06-22-2004, 05:26 PM

Well, he married her, and then committed suicide pretty darn quick. There's a message in there about marriage if you ask me.
Old 06-22-2004, 10:12 PM

Quote:
Good point. But you'd think he'd at least try for a marriage just for show.
Why? I mean, before WWI, he was an unemployed vagrant who made a living selling sketches and sponging off his roommate, during WWI, he was a corporal in France, after the war, he was a radical political agitator who sponged off donations to his political party, and then he was Fuehrer of Germany, who had almost absolute political power and was a demigod to most Germans. In the first three instances, he wasn't really a "good catch", and after he became Fuehrer, he didn't have to care what people thought, because if you criticized him, he'd have you strangled with piano wire. So, socially, a marriage was never neccesary, and psychologically, Hitler liked playing the tormented Bohemian (note the pun there) artist, who put himself beyond mundane things like family, so great was his passion for his work.

Hitler had the type of personality, in which, if he hadn't become dictator, would have been happiest locked up in a garret somewhere, creating paintings which nobody would buy while he was alive, and which he would order destroyed upon his death, because "modern society can't appreciate my greatness."
Old 06-23-2004, 03:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Amazing
Hitler had the type of personality, in which, if he hadn't become dictator, would have been happiest locked up in a garret somewhere, creating paintings which nobody would buy while he was alive, and which he would order destroyed upon his death, because "modern society can't appreciate my greatness."
Or writing bad pulp SF.
Old 06-23-2004, 09:31 AM
BANNED

Hilter

In reading the biography books, and what Eva said to her close friends.

Hilter never had sex with any woman. He used women for his fetishes, too perverted to post here. Eva said "he never came to me as a man comes to a woman." Early on Hilter hired prostitutes for his play, then the SS would follow the woman home and kill her. His niece was just another object of his lust. She killed herself to get away from him.

It was reported that he had only one testicle, but this couldn't be verified from his remains.

He sometimes went to a psychiatrist when his mental pain became too great.
When he received bad news from his officers, he would fall to the floor and bite pieces out of the carpet. His office was frequently recarpeted.

We are lucky he was so messed up. Many decisions he made were very bad and resulted in defeat for his armies.

Love
Old 06-23-2004, 09:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lekatt
It was reported that he had only one testicle, but this couldn't be verified from his remains.
Popular WWII-era ditty, to the tune of "The Colonel Bogie March":

Hitler has only got one ball!
Goering's are very small.
Himmler's are very simmlers.
And Herr Goebbels go no balls at all!
Old 06-23-2004, 10:04 AM

Germany after WWI had a huge number of widowed women. The general male shortage (about 1.7 young German men died in the war) also meant many women in the 1910s and 1920s didn't even get married to begin with. These women were a big block of Germany's voters after the war, when the Weimar Republic gave them the right to vote. Hitler, by being a confirmed bachelor, probably appealed even more to some in this large group of unmarried women.

Hitler may be an ugly cretin - but has anyone seen Triumph of the Will? The young women who greet Hitler in Nuremburg look completely enfatuated with Hitler.

There was a story that Hitler fathered a son in France during World War I. Its generally considered unproven, but it used to show up from time to time in biographies. The one testicle story and other World War II era accounts of Hitler's bizarre sexuality are also not confirmed.

I think its most likely that he simply had no sex life at all.
Old 06-23-2004, 10:27 AM
Charter Member

I saw a show on the History channel, Hitler's Women?, that believed that Hitler was really in love with one of Wagner's heirs, but circumstances wouldn't permit them to get married.
Old 06-23-2004, 11:28 AM

For an interesting look at all of this, please read Hitler's Niece, the story of Hitler and Geli. First of all, y'all are crazy if you think that she killed herself. She was opposed to the more extreme views of the NAZI party and angered Goebbels on more than one occasion. Also, she had a short affair with Emil the limo driver for Hitler, which enraged Hitler. There's no question in my mind she was murdered for speaking out. Also, Eva HATED HER.

As for Hitler's fetishes, they're not so extreme as cannot be posted here. He was a leatherman, he liked Kabuki dress, high leather boots, riding crops. He wanted to be punished, and the one time he tried to seduce his niece sexually to bring their relationship to another level, he demanded that she beat him merciliessly while dressed in a specific costume.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
he didn't have the balls.
You must have read the same biography I did.
Old 06-23-2004, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael

I heard a slightly different version:

Hitler.....he only had one ball
and Goering......had two but they were small
but Goerring......had more than Goebbels...
and poor Goebbels...had no balls....at all!
Old 06-23-2004, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobLibDem
I heard a slightly different version:

Hitler.....he only had one ball
and Goering......had two but they were small
but Goerring......had more than Goebbels...
and poor Goebbels...had no balls....at all!
Hitler has only got one ball
The other is in the Albert Hall
His mother... the dirty b*gger
Cut it off when he was small
She hung it on the Christmas Tree
For everyone to see
But the faeries didnt like it so they chucked it out to sea
And the fishes got their wishes
And had bollocs and scollups for teaaa
Old 06-23-2004, 12:39 PM

No no no!

It's

Hitler has only got one ball
Goering has two but they are small
Himmler is something simmiler
And poor old Goebbels has no balls
At All!
Old 06-23-2004, 02:00 PM

Wasn't homosexuality one of the nazi regimes big secrets? As i recall earnst Roehm (head of the SA/Brownshirts) liked hansome young soldiers. Goering liked to dress up like a woman, and Himmler was suspect as well. Being an open homosexual was pretty dangerous in the 3rd Reich-you could get sent to dachau!
But among the leadership, there was plenty of perversion to go around. Hitler may well have been a homosexual..there is evidence that he had a love affair with another soldier while serving in france.
Old 06-23-2004, 04:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BrotherCadfael

Another version:

The other in The Albert Hall
His mother,
the dirty bugger
cut it off when he was small.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:03 PM

Sorry Chimpy, didn't see your post there.
Hitler may very well have been married to Germany, apparently he got a hard-on during his speeches to the nation!
Also, someone with a lot of power wanting to be beaten and whipped for sexual gratification seems to be par for the course, rather than an indication of Hitler's individual perversion.
Old 06-23-2004, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jarbabyj
For an interesting look at all of this, please read Hitler's Niece, the story of Hitler and Geli. First of all, y'all are crazy if you think that she killed herself. She was opposed to the more extreme views of the NAZI party and angered Goebbels on more than one occasion. Also, she had a short affair with Emil the limo driver for Hitler, which enraged Hitler. There's no question in my mind she was murdered for speaking out. Also, Eva HATED HER.

As for Hitler's fetishes, they're not so extreme as cannot be posted here. He was a leatherman, he liked Kabuki dress, high leather boots, riding crops. He wanted to be punished, and the one time he tried to seduce his niece sexually to bring their relationship to another level, he demanded that she beat him merciliessly while dressed in a specific costume.
The full title of the book is Hitler's Niece: a Novel, by Ron Hansen. It's historical fiction. Based on actual events. Not true.
Old 06-24-2004, 12:02 AM

IIRC, the Hitler Channel *snort* had a feature about Hitler's love life. There was speculation that Geli was in love with a Jew. (Personally, I find it creepy that someone would want to date her UNCLE, especially if he looked like (and acted like, and was) Adolf Hitler!)

And that Hitler was into scat play and things like that.
Old 06-24-2004, 01:57 AM

That whole coprophillia thing came about as a result of an analysis the US War Dept. had done. The psychoanlayst never met with Hitler, and did his analysis based on the heavy-handed Freudian concepts of the day. Thus everyone soon was saying that Hitler liked girls to poop and pee on him.

The S&M stuff with his niece is better documented, and not as unbelievable, either, since most dominatrix's clients are executive types who are stressed out by being in charge all day and enjoy the emotional release of being dominated in controlled settings.

A more valid impersonal psychoanalysis done of Hilter revealed that he had the emotional stability of an early adolescent. This theory explains his belief in crack-pot and grandiouse theories of the sort that most people outgrow before they become harmful. It also explains why, when the chips were down in Spring 1945, Hitler gorged himself on pastries like a greedy kid. As an emotional 12-year old, Hitler was psychologically unable to relate to a woman on anything but the most unrealistic basis.

Also, considering himself the greatest German since Goethe, Hitler was strongly influenced by the fact that Goethe's son was born with the birth defect hypothyroidism. It stood to reason, at least to Hitler, that his own superman genes would result in as similar fate for his offspring.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sugaree
The full title of the book is Hitler's Niece: a Novel, by Ron Hansen. It's historical fiction. Based on actual events. Not true.
A great deal of it is true, seeing as it's BASED ON ACTUAL EVENTS.
Old 06-24-2004, 04:40 PM

Neither a story based on actual events nor a story BASED ON ACTUAL EVENTS is necessarily accurate. Exibit A: Braveheart. A well-researched historical novel is a great vehicle for exploring philosophical or ethical questions, but the format cannot be used as a substitute for what actually happened. I love to play "well, it could have happened," but when evaluating history, we gotta look at documentation, not plausible conjectures.

For what it's worth, Mimi Reiter described sex with Hitler as "normal," no whips, no peeing. And for what it's worth, Hitler's sister described Mimi as the one woman whom Hitler really loved.

Anyway, like Geli, Eva Braun was described as unintellectual and apolitical, and less charitably as vapid, shallow, and empty-headed. I think Hitler realized that Eva would have done a terrible job as a politican's wife no matter what her age.
Old 06-25-2004, 11:57 PM

I recall that Albert Speer's opinion on the matter was that Hitler didn't get married because he wanted to remain a source of attraction for the female population. However, that opinion was probably based on what he heard Hitler say, and Hitler could have been using that as a pretext.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ralph124c
Wasn't homosexuality one of the nazi regimes big secrets? As i recall earnst Roehm (head of the SA/Brownshirts) liked hansome young soldiers. Goering liked to dress up like a woman, and Himmler was suspect as well. Being an open homosexual was pretty dangerous in the 3rd Reich-you could get sent to dachau!
But among the leadership, there was plenty of perversion to go around. Hitler may well have been a homosexual..there is evidence that he had a love affair with another soldier while serving in france.
I'm not familiar with the "evidence" of his gay affair, but there is also gossip that he fathered a son with a French woman. There have been numerous reports that he fathered children with Geli Raubal and Eva Braun as well, though what is known of both women's actions leaves almost no room for doubt that this is impossible.

Another reason that Hitler never reproduced (other than Goethe's son and many other mediocre sons of great fathers [including the sons of Charlemagne and Frederick the Great] that he used to prattle about when he addressed the subject) was the uncertainty of his own ancestry. His father was illegitimate (rumored by some, though with no substantiation, to be of Jewish paternity) and may have been the uncle of his second wife, Hitler's mother. At best, he was a bitter alcoholic mediocrity as was Hitler's half-brother, also named Alois. Hitler's younger sister was commonly regarded as "simple" (not retarded, perhaps, but developmentally disabled), so his genes weren't good and he knew it. (Alois Jr., with whom baby brother Adolf shared a flat in Liverpool while dodging the draft during WW1, had a son named William Patrick Hitler [the name was courtesy of an Irish born mother] who after tramping around Berlin and Vienna as a young man like his uncle once did, was a decorated naval enlistee... in the U.S. Navy. He settled in the midwest and became a phlebotomist, fathering three sons who are the current closest genetic links to Adolf.)

Göring's "transvestitism" is exaggerated. He was morbidly obese for much of his later life and he had Coco Chanel (among others) design him several flowing nightrobes for use in his private time. These were described as "evening gowns" by his valet, Robert Kropp, who was tried to cash in on his former position by selling stories to tabloids after the war (hard to blame him really) and, of course, then as now the kinkier the story the more lucrative. About Göring's love for and dedication to his first wife, the Swedish noblewoman Carin von Fock, there can be no doubt- she gave up everything for him and he spent the last 15 years of his life mourning her (though he did remarry and fathered a very spoiled only child [German joke ca. 1940: "Attention all Germans... the autobahn is closed to all traffic and will remain so as [Göring's little girl] Edda is learning to walk".)

Goebbels was a complete horndog who took the notion of the casting couch to all new depths. He and his wife Magda (who was reared from infancy by her Jewish stepfather [who died in the Holocaust] and who once dated FDR's nephew James Roosevelt) cordially despised each other from fairly early on in their marriage but Hitler forbade them to divorce. There is some theory that not all of the six children she bore while married to him were fathered by Goebbels. (Harald Quandt, her son by her first husband, had Jewish ancestry that had to be "erased" from official records- Harald was captured and sent to a POW camp in Canada, becoming the only member of the family to survive the war.)

Himmler had several mistresses, one of whom bore him two children and indulged his bizarre and bloody occult interests. (She allegedly owned a set of chairs made from human torsos.) His legitimate daughter, Gudrun, a despicable creature [though she certainly caught hell over her surname as a young woman, which probably made her all the more devoted to her father's legacy] who looks just like him, is the mother of the NeoNazi movement in Germany today. (Göring's daughter is also a supporter of neofascism and a priestess of her father's cult, but keeps a much lower profile- she has never married but has had some interesting affairs and successfully sued the Library of Congress for return of some of her family's photograph albums seized by GIs.)

Roehm was definitely homosexual and according to reports at the time a pedophile as well. When he fell, most of the openly homosexual members of the SS were killed along with him and Berlin, long the capitol of gay Europe, was "straightened" overnight. There's an excellent if horribly depressing play set during the purge and its aftermath that was recently made into a movie: BENT.