The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 06-27-2004, 04:11 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

What evidence that the Biblical Noah was an albino?

This seems to be a pet theory of somebody named Arnold Sorsby who wrote the article "Noah-an albino" in the British Medical Journal in 1958, which I have not read. The article appears to have been reprinted in a book he edited: Tenements of clay: an anthology of medical biographical essays.

What evidence does Sorsby base his belief on? Also, was The National Organization for Albinism and Hypopigmentation (NOAH) named with this notion in mind?
Old 06-27-2004, 04:42 PM
graphite is a great moderator

According to a 1958 newspaper article, Sorsby based his claim on the book of Enoch(Apocrypha) and the Dead Sea scrolls.

He quotes from Enoch: "A body white as snow, hair white as wool and eyes that are like the rays of the sun" (Personally, that could describe ME after a hard night's drinking!)

He further claimed that a newly found fragment of a Dead Sea scroll said that Lemech, Noah's father, was told by his wife that Noah was, indeed the child of Lemech. That evidently proves that Noah's parents were brother and sister.

Sorsby claimed that the first recorded case of albinism was a result of such a union.

Sorsby was supposedly one of the leading authorities on opthamology in the world. Or, a kook. Your call.
Old 06-27-2004, 04:55 PM

Here's a snippet from Genesis Chapt. 7 that gives another possible reason for his pale appearance:

007:006 And Noah was six hundred years old when the flood of waters
was upon the earth.

Old 06-27-2004, 06:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
He further claimed that a newly found fragment of a Dead Sea scroll said that Lemech, Noah's father, was told by his wife that Noah was, indeed the child of Lemech. That evidently proves that Noah's parents were brother and sister.
I'm not following that logic.
Old 06-27-2004, 07:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by samclem
He quotes from Enoch: "A body white as snow, hair white as wool and eyes that are like the rays of the sun"
From what I could find, the quote is thus:

Quote:
1 And after some days my son Methuselah took a wife for his son Lamech, and she became 2 pregnant by him and bore a son. And his body was white as snow and red as the blooming of a rose, and the hair of his head and his long locks were white as wool, and his eyes beautiful. And when he opened his eyes, he lighted up the whole house like the sun, and the whole house 3 was very bright. And thereupon he arose in the hands of the midwife, opened his mouth, and conversed with the Lord of righteousness.
The above is from Chapter 106 of the Book of Enoch (taken from here).

The curious part is that Noah's body was supposedly "white as snow", and "red as the blooming of the rose" (this also repeated in verse 10, except there it becomes "redder than the bloom of a rose"). Not having met many albinos, where does the "red" bit come into play (aside from the eyes)?
Old 06-27-2004, 08:40 PM
Charter Member

the one albino person I've met had very pink skin. I assume that the colour came from her blood, because of the lack of pigmentation in her skin.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:04 PM
graphite is a great moderator

Kat. I see what you mean.

I didn't provide the important parts.

From the newspaper story:

Quote:
The bit of ancient writing material found in the Dead sea caves backs up the claim that Noah's mother and father were brother and sister.

Lamech is addressed, on the scroll, by his wife who says, "oh my brother" and later "Oh my lord"

Another school of though is that Noah's parents were cousins.
Old 06-27-2004, 09:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bibliophage
This seems to be a pet theory of somebody named Arnold Sorsby
Have you any idea why Sorsby made this a pet theory? It must have had some implications that he liked, but what could they possible be?
Old 06-27-2004, 09:36 PM
Charter Member

The theory appears to be used in, ahem, The Da Vinci Code:

http://www.crisismagazine.com/specialreport.htm
Quote:
No datum is too dubious for inclusion, and reality falls quickly by the wayside. For instance, the Opus Dei bishop encourages his albino assassin by telling him that Noah was also an albino (a notion drawn from the non-canonical 1 Enoch 106:2). Yet albinism somehow fails to interfere with the manís eyesight as it physiologically would.
Old 06-27-2004, 10:47 PM

If Noah's parents were siblings, they were, at most, half siblings. And chances are they shared a father, not a mother.

I base this on looking at other couples in the Bible. Abraham and Sarah were half siblings that shared a father. From what little I know about Judaism and the Old Testament, there seems to be something about having shared a womb that would make marrying your half-sibling through your mother taboo, even though in Noah and Abe's time there were no prohibitions against this.
Old 06-28-2004, 07:42 AM

The particular Dead Sea Scroll is the 'Genesis Apocryphon'. This is the passage in question.

Quote:
I [Lemech] thought, in my heart, that the conception was the work of the Watchers the pregnancy of the Holy Ones and that it belonged to the Giants... and my heart was upset by this... I, Lamech, turned to my wife Bitenosh and said... Swear to me by the Most High, Great Lord, King of the Universe...the sons of heavens, that you will truthfully tell me everything, if... You will tell me without lies... Then Bitenosh, my wife spoke harshly and she cried... and said: Oh my brother and lord! Remember my pleasure... the time of love, gasping for breath. I will tell you everything truthfully... and then my heart began to ache... When Bitenosh realized my mood had changed...Then she withheld her anger and said to me: O my lord and brother! Remember my pleasure. I swear to you by the Great Holy One, the King of the heavens... That this seed, pregnancy, and planting of fruit comes from you and not a stranger, Watcher, or son of the heaven... Why is your expression changed and your spirit saddened... I speak honestly to you...
None of which has any obvious relevance to the question of whether Noah was an albino.