The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-01-2004, 06:51 PM

Can alcohol be absorbed rectally?

If so, would it absorb faster that way than drinking it would?
Advertisements  
Old 07-01-2004, 07:07 PM

Since a lot of other drugs are absorbed in the rectum, I imagine alcohol would be too.

Suppositories are a fairly common way of givivng drugs, especially for patients with throat & stomach problems. And I've always heard that French doctors prescribe most drugs as suppositories! (No idea if that's really true.)

But about the absorbtion rate, I'd think that the rate thru the throat, stomach, & upper intestines would be higher -- that's what they're designed for, after all.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:08 PM

Considerations of speed aside, I'm thinking this would hurt.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 PM

It frightens me that someone would even consider ingesting alcohol rectally.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:10 PM

Yes, alcohol can be absorbed rectally, vaginally, or through many other mucosal surfaces (nasally, orally without swallowing, etc.) I'm not aware of any studies ion the rate of uptake in humans, but I would guess that it would be somewhat slower.

A liquid like alcohol would pass quickly from the stomach to the small intestine, which is lined with a high density of fine villi that dramatically increase its surface area -- precisely for efficent absorption. The large intestine, and particularly the rectum (the last part of the large intestine) also has structures that increase its surface area (rugae, pits, crypts) so it can actively resorb water from the feces, but they are coarser features, and don't increase the available surface area nearly as much.

Do you want fries -er- cites with that?
Old 07-01-2004, 07:18 PM

Couples..how'd you get drunk on your honeymoon?

"In the butt, Bob".
Old 07-01-2004, 07:51 PM
Charter Member

It's absorbed quite easily through the colon, and my understanding is it takes effect rather strongly and rapidly when taken this way.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:56 PM

I believe one can consume vodka by holding the bottle to the eye. It works faster or something.

I think it was in a movie. Either that or the vicar used to drink his sherry that way when he came round for lunch.
Old 07-01-2004, 07:59 PM
Charter Member

Are we talking IV here?..or sitting on a Corona bottle and standing on your hands? Sheesh.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:01 PM

I've certainly seen a lot of drunken a**holes.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:04 PM

Definitely Yes

A Polish girlfriend told me that when she was a university student, she and her crowd use to economize by analy consuming booze. It took far less than drinking it, worked faster, but still left a headache the next morning.
Old 07-01-2004, 08:12 PM
Charter Member

Actually there's a little history here!

About 15 years ago "American Heritage" published a paper that the ancient Incas brewed an alcoholic beverage vile enough to make you lose it if you drank it.
So they used the enema method.

“Rhinal absorption of intoxicants is widespread [Anadenanthera beans, coca leaves, Virola resin, and many nicotianas] on the subcontinent and represents, apparently, a peculiarly American custom which, together with tobacco, spread to the Old World in post-Columbian times.”
Old 07-01-2004, 08:58 PM

A friend of mine that is a nurse in a university town was just talking about this topic the other day. Kids get drunker faster, and in some circles it is quite a thing. She also said that the rate of alcohol poisoning was greater using this form of ingestion.
Old 07-01-2004, 09:13 PM

gives sh**-faced a whole new meaning

but how do people actually do this? what are the mechanics?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cher3
Considerations of speed aside, I'm thinking this would hurt.
Would the alcohol cause a burning sensation?
Old 07-01-2004, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
Yes, alcohol can be absorbed rectally, vaginally, or through many other mucosal surfaces (nasally, orally without swallowing, etc.) I'm not aware of any studies ion the rate of uptake in humans, but I would guess that it would be somewhat slower.
I know people have commented on this already but I wanted to emphasize that alcohol is absorbed MUCH MUCH faster into the bloodstream when taken rectally rather than orally. It takes much less to get you drunk if you partake of an alcohol enema. And it takes much, much less to give you alcohol poisoning.

Anyone who is thinking of taking an alcohol enema better do a lot of research on it first. You're really taking a risk if you don't know what you're doing.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbunny
Anyone who is thinking of taking an alcohol enema better do a lot of research on it first. You're really taking a risk if you don't know what you're doing.
So there are people who are experts in this?

Ya know, I never found getting drunk so difficult that it occurred to me to ask "Gosh, if only there was some faster way to get drunk. Hey! What about shooting it up my tuckus?" But now that I think about it, I can see how that extra 20 minutes you save by not actually drinking the alcohol would give you just that much extra time to be passed out!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bowe

“Rhinal absorption of intoxicants is widespread [Anadenanthera beans, coca leaves, Virola resin, and many nicotianas] on the subcontinent and represents, apparently, a peculiarly American custom which, together with tobacco, spread to the Old World in post-Columbian times.”
I can see an new Anti-Smoking campaign

"you can stick that cigarette where the sun don't shine."

Reduces passive smoking.

Simon
Old 07-02-2004, 08:04 AM

Quote:

Must read closer - Rhinal absorption - through the Nose.

Simon
Old 07-02-2004, 08:17 AM

Blalron - remind me never to share a pint with you.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ross
I believe one can consume vodka by holding the bottle to the eye. It works faster or something.

I think it was in a movie. Either that or the vicar used to drink his sherry that way when he came round for lunch.
IANAMD But, isn't this massively dangerous?

I remember once reading (It was a work of fiction, but still) 'This is Deadeye Wilson. He is not a great marksman. He acquired the nickname after passing out one night and sleeping with the left side of his face in a bow of moonshine. He woke up with a hangover and a burned out cornea'

Back To The OP

It also works with nicotine. Try searching the web on "clyster". There was a great enema fad in France. Besides trying many different liquid mixtures, the clyster tobacco pipe was invented. I am not making this up. After careful insertion of the nozzle, the enema professional would blow smoke up the patient's ass- literally. The stimulant effect was said to be rather dramatic. The smoke clyster was recommended for reviving somebody who had fainted or drowned.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:31 AM

I'll have a dirty martini, please. A very dirty martini.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by aaslatten
but how do people actually do this? what are the mechanics?
It was all the rage for Swedish youth a few years back (might still be, for all I know). You would soak a tampon in liquor and put it up your vagina or, if you happened not to be equipped with a vagina, your rectum.
Old 07-02-2004, 08:45 AM
Charter Member

I once heard that alcoholics that had developed ulcers so bad that they couldn't drink would get their fix by taking alcohol enamas. I really don't feel like Googling "J&B enamas" though. One must draw the line.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:30 AM
Charter Member

Having once snorted Jack Danial's, I can attest that oral ingestion is a more pleasant way to imbibe.

Other than that, I have nothing to add other than my disappointment that it took over an hour for someone to come up with the 'drunken a-holes' line.

Thank you, DanBlather.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BoringDad
So there are people who are experts in this?
Boy, that's gotta look good on the resume.

I obviously don't get to the right kind of parties.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Priceguy
It was all the rage for Swedish youth a few years back (might still be, for all I know). You would soak a tampon in liquor and put it up your vagina or, if you happened not to be equipped with a vagina, your rectum.
Hey! Another reason to follow my motto! I mean, who the heck wants to stick a liquor-soaked tampon is his rectum?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:25 AM
Charter Member

Quote:
I know people have commented on this already but I wanted to emphasize that alcohol is absorbed MUCH MUCH faster into the bloodstream when taken rectally rather than orally. It takes much less to get you drunk if you partake of an alcohol enema. And it takes much, much less to give you alcohol poisoning.

To elaborate (ad nauseum, literally), the main purpose of the rectum is to absorb water; it does its job well and absorbs alcohol just as well. Beyond that, achohol enemas bypass the body's natural defenses against alcohol poisoning: you might get too wasted to pour and drink another drink but still be able to (sheesh, I'm not going to describe it, but you could probably do it while drunk.) Perhaps more importantly, you won't throw up if you had too much, and the hospital can't pump something out that has already been absorbed by the large intestine.

...And if nobody minds my saying so, ick.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:46 AM

Quote:
The version I heard was "Finnish youth".
Old 07-02-2004, 10:48 AM

I just want to say I love this place.

<sniff>
Old 07-02-2004, 11:14 AM

Well, since my last post I asked one of my Russian neighbors about this. He's known for building stills and making vodka, so I figured he would know. His accent is thick, But I can usually understand him. Not today though. He did say he had heard of it. But, he kept slurring and slipping into Russian. I figured that he'd be sober at 10:30 am. Nope. He's drunk off his ass.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FilmGeek
The version I heard was "Finnish youth".
The version I lived through, being a Swedish youth at the time, was "Swedish youth". I'm sure it happened in Finland too.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:49 PM

Quote:
You know, I have a feeling I am really going to regret asking about this, but how, exactly, does one go about getting a soaking wet, soggy tampon into either of these orifices?

Ugh. I already think I don't want to know.
Old 07-02-2004, 12:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocCathode
Well, since my last post I asked one of my Russian neighbors about this. He's known for building stills and making vodka, so I figured he would know. His accent is thick, But I can usually understand him. Not today though. He did say he had heard of it. But, he kept slurring and slipping into Russian. I figured that he'd be sober at 10:30 am. Nope. He's drunk off his ass.
Wow. Like the Germans. Although I can say I only had beer with breakfast once when I was there
Old 07-02-2004, 01:06 PM

ChaoticDonkey One of us has been whooshed. If that smiley isn't your way of saying 'I never went more than 5 minutes during that visit without drinking some bier' it may be me. If not, re-read my last post.
Old 07-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Charter Member

A goatsee martini?

Shaken, not stirred.

Old 07-02-2004, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine
You know, I have a feeling I am really going to regret asking about this, but how, exactly, does one go about getting a soaking wet, soggy tampon into either of these orifices?

Ugh. I already think I don't want to know.
Ummm . . . a plastic applicator with a rounded tip for comfort?
Old 07-02-2004, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fretful Porpentine
I never did it myself, so I'm not entirely sure. I believe they wringed the tampon somewhat before inserting it, and my limited knowledge of medicine (Qadgop, get in here) leads me to believe that failing to do so would have rather unpleasant consequences.

As did this practice, by the way. Adjusting dosage is difficult and there were several hospitalizations.
Old 07-02-2004, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missbunny
Quote:
Originally Posted by KP

You are confusing absorption and intoxication. As I said, I'm not aware of specific medical literature on the rate of absorption, but rectal administration can lead to greater/more rapid effects (and toxicity) despite possibly slower absorption. We actually use this in administering certain medical drugs.

The veins that drain most tissues follow a path roughly paralleling the arteries that feed them, but there are several important exceptions. The blood supply of the "gut" (liver, spleen, stomach, small and large intestines) is one. These organs get their primary supply of oxygenated blood from trunks that come from the aorta, but instead of flowing back to the aorta's venous counterpart (the ven cava) the blood from most of the gut flows therought hte hepatic portal vein to the LIVER.

The stomach/intestines are primarily meant to absorb chemicals--foreign chemical. Since you never know what chemicals might be in that last plant you ate, a quick detour to the liver for detoxification is only wise, instead of releasing all foreign chemicals, willy-nilly, into the general circulation. (The liver's own metabolic needs are met by these absorbed chemicals, supplemented by "fresh" blood from the aorta, via the hepatic artery) Alcohol is one of the chemicals the liver detoxifies.

However, as I noted the colon (the last part of the intestines) and specifically the rectum (the last part of the colon) really don't absorb much--mostly water. Infact, you wouldn't want to absorb much, because the colon is mostly full of bacteria that could kill you if they entered the blood (the crypts and pits I mentioned have lots of immune cells and lymph nodes) and the stuff the rest of your digestive system didn't find worth absorbing. The only reason they left the water in untiol the end was to help make the "crud' easier to pump downstream.

While the superior rectal vein empties into the portal hepatic vein for detox, the middle and inferior rectal veins drain into vena cava (in much the same way as the veins of the abdominal and pelvic wall do) if you put alcohol in the lower rectum, it can bypass the liver, and enter the general circulation without being detoxified by the liver. Evolution had no idea you'd do a damnfool thing like that. It expected all alcohol to be absorbed easily far higher in the digestive tract.

This could get you drunk faster and cause alcohol toxicity with less alcohol, even if absorption is slower in the rectum than the stomach and small intestine! Alcohol [and other chemicals in liquor) absorbed "upstream" go to the liver to be destroyed/changed before they are allowed into the general circulation to reach (e.g.) the brain. Absorbing them in the lower rectum bypasses this protection for a bigger systemic "hit" with less absorbed toxin.

Anyone considering rectal alcohol shouldn't just "do a lot of research on it first." They should ask themselves why it is so all-fired important to them to bypass one of their body's basic protections. Liquors contain many chemicals besides alcohol -- some only allowed for human consumption because they were 'grandfathered in' by centuries of use--oral use. Taking them rectally, is somewhat akin to 'mainlining' them by injection. It may not be very safe.

Another concern might be damage to the rectal mucosa. You know how liquor burns your throat? It does the same to your rectal lining-- then barrier keeping countless 'crappy', potentially lethal, bugs out of your bloodstream. Alcohol also impedes the function of all the immune tissues in your rectal wall.

Quote:
Originally Posted by priceguy
I wasn't aware of the practice in Sweden, but it was widely reported among Finnish girls have traditionally drunk less and at later ages than their male counterparts, or girlss in other European nations.

I'm not sure how widespread the phenomenon actually was. (It may have been limited to one school or clique. It may have been discussed among teens more than actually practiced), but there was a flurry of international publicity by the news services in March 1999.

Quote:
"HELSINKI [AP] - Some teen-age Finnish girls are experimenting with tampons
dipped in vodka as a way of catching a buzz without parents detecting
boozy breath, an anti-drinking group claims. The group has received
reports of girls using alcohol-soaked tampons, hoping the alcohol would
then enter their bloodstream. High alcohol consumption in Finland is
sometimes a source of embarrassment for this conservative country, with
many worried more liberal liquor laws introduced in recent years have
increased drinking among young people."

Thrill-Seeking Teens Dunk Tampons In Vodka
(Last updated 8:06 AM ET March 3)

http://nt.excite.com/news/r/990303/08/odd-tampons

HELSINKI (Reuters) - Some teen-age Finnish girls are experimenting with
tampons dipped in vodka as a way of getting tipsy without parents
detecting boozy breath, an anti-drinking group said Tuesday.

The group's executive director said he had received reports of individual
cases of girls in eastern Finland using alcohol-soaked tampons, hoping
the alcohol would then enter their bloodstreams.

"I believe tampons are supposed to keep things in and not let them seep
out," Tapio Jaakkola at the Irti Huumeista drug and alcohol center told
Reuters.

"Drinking through the mouth is probably still the best way for alcohol to
be absorbed," he said.

High alcohol consumption in Finland is sometimes a source of
embarrassment for this conservative Nordic society, with many
commentators worried more liberal liquor laws introduced in recent years
have increased drinking among young people.."
Old 07-02-2004, 05:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doug Bowe

About 15 years ago "American Heritage" published a paper that the ancient Incas brewed an alcoholic beverage vile enough to make you lose it if you drank it.
So they used the enema method.

I opened this thread specifically to mention South American Indian nicotine enemas. Imagine my surprise at getting scooped on the subject!
Old 07-02-2004, 06:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
The blood supply of the "gut" (liver, spleen, stomach, small and large intestines) is one. These organs get their primary supply of oxygenated blood from trunks that come from the aorta, but instead of flowing back to the aorta's venous counterpart (the ven cava) the blood from most of the gut flows therought hte hepatic portal vein to the LIVER.
if you put alcohol in the lower rectum, it can bypass the liver, and enter the general circulation without being detoxified by the liver.... Alcohol [and other chemicals in liquor) absorbed "upstream" go to the liver to be destroyed/changed before they are allowed into the general circulation to reach (e.g.) the brain. Absorbing them in the lower rectum bypasses this protection for a bigger systemic "hit" with less absorbed toxin.
Yes, entero-hepatic circulation helps catch and detoxify compounds as they are absorbed through the upper GI tract. However, the liver processes ethanol through the alcohol dehydrogenase path at a rate of 0.015 %/hr. It doesn't matter if the liver recieves the ethanol through the e-h circulation or through other arteries/veins. The rate of detox is limited by enzyme kinetics that can't be changed by blood supply, coffee or exercise or any other "cure". If the above quote was true, then the liver would clear ethanol very quickly, and we'd never get drunk. The enhanced effects of an alcoholic enema would be due to a bolus dosage of ethanol, not unlike the "beer bongs" I saw in college that allowed one to get roaring drunk on one or two beers, consumed within a, say, ten minute period.

Vlad/Igor
Old 07-02-2004, 06:59 PM

Somehow, the mental picture of a few folks kneeling on a table, knickers to their knees, butts pointed towards a cluster of little glasses with colored umbrellas in them, straws in their sphincters, just doesn't sound like a party to me.
Old 07-02-2004, 07:54 PM

Bottoms Up!
Old 07-02-2004, 08:39 PM

You raise a good point Vlad/Igor, but the rate you cited (0.015%/hr) must be a (typical) maximum at saturation (the physiologic BAC analogue of Vmax). IIRC, there's nothing quirky about the kinetics/control of alcohol dehydrogenase, or alcohol transport to vary it from the standard Michaelis Menton kinetics.

I do not know what BAC ([EtOH]) saturates hepatic alcohol dehydrogenase, but I suspect it's well into the inebriation range. Since we're talking about *reaching* inebriation, we should still be in the concentration-dependent regime. [EtOH] is significantly higher in the portal hepatic vein than in the systemic circulation (the blood already contains systemic levels before absorbing more) , so e-h absorption should clear faster (in absolute terms) than rectal absorption in the first pass.

"First pass" hepatic clearance (metabolism, conjugation, whatever) is a major issue in clinical pharmacology, specifically discussed for each drug/class in the more comprehensive references. It isn't our friend when the "toxin" is a medical drug administered orally. Some drugs are administered IV instead of PO for precisely this reason (or because of the flipside: increased hepatotoxicity at the higher e-h concentration)

I'll think about this a bit. I must have the Km for alcohol dehydrogenase around here somewhere. That will clear up a lot. Let me know if I missed anything.
Old 07-02-2004, 09:22 PM

ONLY on the SDMB...

Um...I hate to ask-but wouldn't this also give one massive diarrhea?
Old 07-02-2004, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KP
You raise a good point Vlad/Igor, but the rate you cited (0.015%/hr) must be a (typical) maximum at saturation (the physiologic BAC analogue of Vmax)....I do not know what BAC ([EtOH]) saturates hepatic alcohol dehydrogenase, but I suspect it's well into the inebriation range.
That I don't know, but I suspect that the saturation point is somewhere below "inebriation" (a relative term, as I've had perfectly lucid conversations with long-term alcoholics with a BAC of 0.1%). Saturation has to be measured as a function of organ mass; that is, the liver contains millions of these enzymatic pathways, not just one. You can clear one beer a bit faster than several beers, but probably not much faster.

Quote:
[EtOH] is significantly higher in the portal hepatic vein than in the systemic circulation (the blood already contains systemic levels before absorbing more) , so e-h absorption should clear faster (in absolute terms) than rectal absorption in the first pass.
I was going to disagree with this at first, but re-reading, I see what you're saying. In absolute terms, yes, the concentration of ethanol in the portal vein is higher, but if the ADH system is already saturated, it doesn't make any dofference. Alcohol has a very low volume of distribution, compared to digoxin, which I know from personal experience you have to pound with a sledghammer all day to get it into solution.

Vlad/Igor
Old 07-02-2004, 10:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guinastasia
Um...I hate to ask-but wouldn't this also give one massive diarrhea?
Yeah, if you infused a large enough volume with a large percentage of alcohol, you'd kill off your intestinal normal flora, and possibly wind up with the trots. I suppose you could try to make your own transdermal patch by soaking a band-aid (TM) pad in pure-grain, and then putting the band-aid (TM) on. Not that I'm suggesting anyone should try this, or condoning it, but it might work.

Vlad/Igor
Old 07-02-2004, 10:36 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Author Tom Dorsey used rectal administration of alcohol to great effect in one of his Floride crime novels. Florida Roadkill, I believe. The "hero" of the novel deals with a violent homophobe by administering a massive vodka enema, then advising him that the only way he will live out the hour is if he can convince someone to give him an enema. In Key West. On New Year's Eve. Drunk.
Old 07-02-2004, 10:38 PM
Hoc nomen meum verum non est.
Charter Member

Tim Dorsey.

By the way, I recommend his books. Very funny stuff.
Old 07-02-2004, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vlad/Igor
Yeah, if you infused a large enough volume with a large percentage of alcohol, you'd kill off your intestinal normal flora, and possibly wind up with the trots.

I believe that Guinastasia was refering simply to the effect of introducing a significant volume of any liquid into the colon.