he looked better and healthier when he was overweight.

I know this guy who went to Community College with my mother and he was overweight and I saw him today and he lost a bunch of weight and everybody was saying how he looked great and he was saying he felt great and feels like he was 20 years old again and all that.
I think he looks horrible it looks like he has a disease and he even looks older now and on top of that he still has a double chin but a skinny body, how can that happen? He looks so awkward and in my humble opinion he looked better and healthier when he was overweight.

When I saw this thread title I thought it was about Roger Ebert. He was on something I saw today talking about Brando, and there’s just something wrong about the way he looks since he lost all that weight. There isn’t much question that he’s healthier (from a cardiovascular and endocrine standpoint, anyway), but he doesn’t really look it.

Rogert Ebert is undergoing treatment for cancer.

Well, there you go. Thinner isn’t always healthier, nor does it always look healthier or better.
I find people more attractive when they are somewhat overweight relative to what the tables say. I also find women who think they need to lose just a few pounds most often look fine or look like they need to gain a few.

PUNCTUATION!

If he was significantly overweight, he may still have loads of excess skin which would make him look saggy rather than thin and toned like some naturally thinner people.

You don’t say just how old this guy is, but by the time we reach middle age, most of us look a little better with a few pounds more than we carried in our youth. A couple of my male friends look positively cadaverous because they’re so slim. One of them works out regularly and has a great physique but it looks like a very old face has been put onto a younger body. As skin tone disappears and gravity does its work, an extra 10 pounds isn’t so bad for a person’s general appearance.

I was not aware of that. I just recalled reading one of his reviews in which he mentioned going on a particular diet with some success.

The same thing happened to my husband. When he first started losing weight, he looked great, but then he kept on loosing. I kept telling him that was enough, but everybody else complimented him on it, and he ignored me. He was creepy looking! His skin was loose in places. He finally gained some of it backwhen he realized how much it bothered me.

My mom’s weight usually hovers around, oh, I dunno, 150-160 lbs. or something, which looks normal and not-overweight for her. She’s told about how she tried to go on diets to get down to her (according to the weight charts) “ideal” weight, and before she could even get close, people were commenting on how alarmed they were by her appearance, asking her if she was ill, etc., because she looked so crappy and skinny.

Not all of us should be at the weight that the chart tells us. I think it does many people a disservice to be pressured to strive to be at that “ideal” weight, because it’s obvious by looking at them that they are too damned skinny.

That happened to my brother-in-law when he found out he was diabetic. He lost so much weight that I wouldn’t have recognized him at his own mother’s funeral had he not been standing next to my sister. Now that I’m used to it though, I think he looks fine.

Another guy who looked better with a little flesh on his bones–Al Roker. I mean, he wasn’t healthy when he was so overweight, but his cheeks look absolutely hollow now.

There was a show on PBS, Frontier something or other, where families live as pioneers for a few months. One of the fathers lost a good deal of weight during the experience and I believe they had a doctor check him out to be sure he wasn’t ill. Turned out that he was just his normal weight but nobody was used to seeing him that way.

I know I sometimes worry about some of my students being so thin and then really take a look and realize they’re not underweight at all. I’m just used to seeing the majority of my students range from well-padded to obese.

Loose skin from a rapid weight loss, or just losing a great deal of weight doesn’t help. People were nagging my mom about looking too thin until she had things tightened up.

For whatever reason, I happen to be attracted to guys who are noticeably thinner than average, so I usually consider any weight loss to be a positive thing (so long as it’s not a result of disease).

But often when a person loses weight, it takes a while for the remaining weight to redistribute itself and the skin to shrink. Of course the older you get, the less this happens. The important thing, obviously, is to be healthy, regardless of how you look.