The Straight Dope

Go Back   Straight Dope Message Board > Main > General Questions

Old 07-14-2004, 04:41 PM

Why do giraffe's have pointy nobbly things on thier heads?

A question that has bothered me for a long while. By that I mean, my cousin,every copule of months ask's that question. I was once told it was for head butting. But as my cousin and myself don't really think this is true. Could someone please shed some ligtht on this!
Advertisements  
Old 07-14-2004, 04:58 PM

The knobby things on a giraffes head are kind of like horns, and probably evolved from horns. Giraffes are the only surviving camel that has retained the horns, they have been lost in the standard camels and llama type things. Giraffes have horns for pretty much the same reason most ungulates have horns, they se them for fighting one another. Male giraffes fight by using their heads like wrecking balls, swinging them on the end of those long necks to build up steam and slamming them into opponents. The horns just add a little extra punch.

So in one sense they are used for headbutting, but itís an interesting kind of headbutt.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:14 PM
SD Curator of Critters

Giraffes (family Giraffidae) are not camels (family Camelidae, including also llamas, guanacos, alpacas, and vicunas), and are not particularly closely related to them, being in a different suborder of the Artiodactyla, the Ruminantia (along with deer, antelopes, cattle, etc.), the camels being in the suborder Tylopoda.

The "horns" are called ossicones. Some males giraffes can have up to five such bony projections on the skull (two pairs plus a central one).

The only other member of the Giraffe family is the Okapi of central African rainforests.
Old 07-14-2004, 05:53 PM

This site is a bit clumsy to use, but it's got a very comprehensive listing of life forms and their inter-relatedness.

And here are the giraffes!
Old 07-14-2004, 06:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
The only other member of the Giraffe family is the Okapi of central African rainforests.
The Okapi is the only mammal that can clean its ears with its tongue.
Old 07-14-2004, 07:08 PM
Charter Member

KISS lead Gene Simmons can, also.
Old 07-14-2004, 08:42 PM
Charter Member

The ossicones are, IIRC, morphologically and developmentally identical to the horn cores of other ungulates such as cows and sheep. The giraffes don't grow the keratin sheath.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Colibri
Giraffes (family Giraffidae) are not camels (family Camelidae, including also llamas, guanacos, alpacas, and vicunas), and are not particularly closely related to them, being in a different suborder of the Artiodactyla, the Ruminantia (along with deer, antelopes, cattle, etc.), the camels being in the suborder Tylopoda.

The "horns" are called ossicones. Some males giraffes can have up to five such bony projections on the skull (two pairs plus a central one).

That's an awesome answer Colibri. I couldn't figure out how giraffes were related to camels as Blake advised. I was searching for 20 minutes! I thought I was going crazy.

-K
Old 07-14-2004, 09:15 PM
Charter Member

They use those horns to catch the stray apostropes.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:16 PM
Charter Member

Damn, I sure wish I just spelled 'apostrophes' correctly.

I just grew another horn. Ouch.
Old 07-14-2004, 09:31 PM
SD Curator of Critters

As far as I am aware, no fossil camels had horns. However, there were some in North America that evolved long necks like giraffes, such as Oxydactylus

Some fossil relatives of the giraffe had rather sizeable "horns," notably Sivatherium and Giraffokeryx punjabiensis
Old 07-14-2004, 09:54 PM
Charter Member

In a trivia note, the American pronghorn (often called "pronghorn antelope," although it's not a "true antelope") has no particularly closely related artiodactyl cousins--but there is some belief now that its closest relative might be the giraffe!